How does this sound?

Binximus

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2005
Finally the time has come to buy my new rig and ditch the old sh!t box! this is what im thinking so far:

AMD Athlon64 3800+
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC PCI-E (sli in mind down the track)
Asus A8N-SLi Premium
Corsair XMS 3200 1 Gig
Western Digital 74G SATA Raptor (primary)
Seagate SATA 200G 7200rpm (storage)
Antec 550W True Power 2

So what do you guys think?..it will be purely used for gaming (bf2,q4,cod2,fear,d3 - minor overclocking in mind) and uni assignments :-| and oh do you think it would be worth biting the bullet and going dual core or jus fork out the extra doh for a fx-55??...n how could I improve on this without burning a hole in my bank account...ur thoughts plz :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Binximus on 11/04/05 05:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
If you want to keep your budget about the same, I'd say go with 2GB of RAM rather than getting a Raptor drive. Load times will increase a bit, but that's just a small, burst-based time, versus sustained performance that you'll get from 2 GB of RAM (since your going for higher-end gaming).

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got to agree about the 2GB of RAM. I'm also not sure that 3200 is a good route to take if you know that you're looking at doing even a little OCing.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
The <b><font color=red>Devil</font color=red></b> is in my <b><font color=red>'98 Mercury Sable</font color=red></b>!
<b>@ 201K miles!</b>

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
If you are going to OC a little you might want to think about a couple things...

What case, what fans are you using for the case, are you going stock cooler or for something a little better?

Becauseif you have a set budget i would hate to see you skimp on a CPU cooler, case and fans and then wonder why your OC is't that great.

its all about the complete solution, not just the fancy parts like CPUs and GPUs

Binximus

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2005
Yeah, havnt really put much thought into a cooling solution yet but ill probably get a watercooling kit for the cpu, as for the case and fans havnt thought about that yet...can you make any decent suggestions keeping in mind im on a bit of a budget? like 1800 - 2300 $AUS

I agree that you have to look for the complete solution, but the stock cooler is easily good for a 10-15% OC.

Binx: On a budget or not, take a look at the <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/201tblk.html" target="_new">Super-Flower SF-201T</A>. What wasn't mentioned and is really important for system stability - especially for OCing - is the PSU. Link us a couple of PSUs that you're interested in and we'll check them out. In the states, I think one of the best deals right now is the <A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270402" target="_new">Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P</A>. Great price/perf on that deal.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

Binximus

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2005
Some stuff can be abit hard to come by over here coz of availability...not huge amount hits our shores so just gota hunt down retailers that international ship or rely on local biz...

www.gamedude.com.au

take a look at their psu's and tell me what ya think is best price/performace n keep in mind its AUD$ :)