CPU Configuration Question for a New Dell 4600 PC

Mike

Splendid

I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB RAM,
80G HDD, on the Dell website.
Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with Hyperthreading?
PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the preformance
difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct is
to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.

Thanks,

Mike

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I have an 8300 2.80 GHz 533 and a " new" outlet XPS 3.2 GHz 400. The 3.2 is
a little faster than the 2.80.
It is not just the processor that gives a computer its "power". You have to
consider the HD, video Card, and the kind of DVD burner. You will get a
performance upgrade for $45.00.
Carolyn

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB RAM,
> 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
Hyperthreading?
> PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
preformance
> difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct is
> to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Are these both 800Mhz bus speed?

I wouldn't spend that much for that little performance increase. If you
build your own system you could probably overclock that 2.8 to over 3.0.
But not with a Dell system.

Put your money into a DVD writer instead.

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB RAM,
> 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
Hyperthreading?
> PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
preformance
> difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct is
> to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Not much difference between 2.8GHz and 3GHz, but $45 is not much either. If the
difference was $100 or more, I'd say no way. You wouldn't notice the difference
over the course of a day, given the type of work yoy expect to do... Ben Myers

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:40:40 GMT, "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB RAM,
>80G HDD, on the Dell website.
>Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with Hyperthreading?
>PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
>web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the preformance
>difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct is
>to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

Mike

Splendid

I'm thinking the same, but for $45.00 it might be worth it when burning CDs
and doing others thingson the PC at the same time.

Mike

> Not much difference between 2.8GHz and 3GHz, but $45 is not much either.
If the
> difference was $100 or more, I'd say no way. You wouldn't notice the
difference
> over the course of a day, given the type of work yoy expect to do... Ben
Myers

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:40:40 GMT, "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
RAM,
> >80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> >Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
Hyperthreading?
> >PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> >web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
preformance
> >difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct
is
> >to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Mike

Mike

Splendid

Is there any reason to get a DVD+RW drive except to copy movies?

Mike

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB RAM,
> 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
Hyperthreading?
> PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
preformance
> difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct is
> to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I use a DVD+RW to copy data discs on a CD. If I have something larger than a
CD, I use a DVD disc. I would suggest you buy at least buy a CD burner. I
like plextor burners. They cost a little more, but accept most media.
I have an outlet XPS box I purchased last week. I am going to install an
"old" plextor cdrw burner in this computer.
I am waiting for the 16X Plextor to come out so I can buy a 12X drive with a
8MB buffer, and get a rebate.
> Is there any reason to get a DVD+RW drive except to copy movies?
>
> Mike
>
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
RAM,
> > 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> > Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
> Hyperthreading?
> > PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> > web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
> preformance
> > difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct
is
> > to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Mike

Splendid

I was thinking all things being equal except to speed of the CPU.

Mike

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have an 8300 2.80 GHz 533 and a " new" outlet XPS 3.2 GHz 400. The 3.2
is
> a little faster than the 2.80.
> It is not just the processor that gives a computer its "power". You have
> consider the HD, video Card, and the kind of DVD burner. You will get a
> performance upgrade for $45.00.
> Carolyn
>
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
RAM,
> > 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> > Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
> Hyperthreading?
> > PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> > web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
> preformance
> > difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct
is
> > to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Mike

Splendid

DVD+rw is making more sense. Was going to order it w/ cd-r/w and ronly dvd.

> I use a DVD+RW to copy data discs on a CD. If I have something larger than
> CD, I use a DVD disc. I would suggest you buy at least buy a CD burner. I
> like plextor burners. They cost a little more, but accept most media.
> I have an outlet XPS box I purchased last week. I am going to install an
> "old" plextor cdrw burner in this computer.
> I am waiting for the 16X Plextor to come out so I can buy a 12X drive with
> 8MB buffer, and get a rebate.
> Carolyn
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any reason to get a DVD+RW drive except to copy movies?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
> RAM,
> > > 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> > > Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
> > Hyperthreading?
> > > PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> > > web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
> > preformance
> > > difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications?
Instinct
> is
> > > to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mike

Mike

Splendid

I too, have always liked Plextor drives.

Mike

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I use a DVD+RW to copy data discs on a CD. If I have something larger than
> CD, I use a DVD disc. I would suggest you buy at least buy a CD burner. I
> like plextor burners. They cost a little more, but accept most media.
> I have an outlet XPS box I purchased last week. I am going to install an
> "old" plextor cdrw burner in this computer.
> I am waiting for the 16X Plextor to come out so I can buy a 12X drive with
> 8MB buffer, and get a rebate.
> Carolyn
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any reason to get a DVD+RW drive except to copy movies?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
> RAM,
> > > 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> > > Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
> > Hyperthreading?
> > > PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> > > web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
> > preformance
> > > difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications?
Instinct
> is
> > > to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mike

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Here is a two discount sites that might help. http://www.xpbargains.com/
http://www.techbargains.com/coupons.cfm
These sites have come from members of this group. When buying a system also
look in Small business and the outlet store for deals.

"sweettush" <sweettush@bunz.com> wrote in message
> Are these both 800Mhz bus speed?
>
> I wouldn't spend that much for that little performance increase. If you
> build your own system you could probably overclock that 2.8 to over 3.0.
> But not with a Dell system.
>
> Put your money into a DVD writer instead.
>

> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
RAM,
> > 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> > Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
> Hyperthreading?
> > PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> > web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
> preformance
> > difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct
is
> > to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Mike

Splendid

True, but decided to get a new 4700 w/ DVD+RW, SATA HDD, 128MB, PCI Express,
ATI
Radeon video adapter and PCI Express. Might as well drop the extra $45.00
for the CPU
Does Dell sella DVD+RW that's capable of burning CDs?

> Here is a two discount sites that might help. http://www.xpbargains.com/
> http://www.techbargains.com/coupons.cfm
> These sites have come from members of this group. When buying a system
also
> look in Small business and the outlet store for deals.
>
> "sweettush" <sweettush@bunz.com> wrote in message
> > Are these both 800Mhz bus speed?
> >
> > I wouldn't spend that much for that little performance increase. If you
> > build your own system you could probably overclock that 2.8 to over 3.0.
> > But not with a Dell system.
> >
> > Put your money into a DVD writer instead.
> >

> > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
> RAM,
> > > 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> > > Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
> > Hyperthreading?
> > > PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> > > web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
> > preformance
> > > difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications?
Instinct
> is
> > > to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mike

Mike

Splendid

Anybody use the ATI Radeon video adapter w/TV and a 19" Ultra Sharp flat
panel and the TV function?
Does it work?

Mike

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB RAM,
> 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
Hyperthreading?
> PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
preformance
> difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct is
> to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Mike a DVD burner will burn CD's . I don't use a video adapter w/TV.
> Anybody use the ATI Radeon video adapter w/TV and a 19" Ultra Sharp flat
> panel and the TV function?
> Does it work?
>
> Mike
>
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm putting together a 4600 PC 2.80GHz CPU with Hyperthreading, 512MB
RAM,
> > 80G HDD, on the Dell website.
> > Is it worth spending the extra $45.00 for a 3.0GHz CPU with
> Hyperthreading?
> > PC will be used primarily to burn CDs, email,
> > web browsing and creating PowrPoint presentations. What is the
> preformance
> > difference between 2.80G CPU and 3.0G CPU using applications? Instinct
is
> > to buy the 3.0Ghz CPU.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike