Build your own MM?

With the current average prices of MM, I started wondering if you could
actually build one yourself for less $$$ using another, less desirable
WPC-95 game (Congo?) as the donor.

This would mean you already have a backbox with WPC-95 circuit boards,
and a cabinet that already has a lot of generic Williams hardware
(coils, brackets, posts, etc).

Add MM decals to the cab and backbox, and install a MM plunger button.
Now, throw in a used (or possible repro) unpopulated playfield. This
would leave adding the generic parts that remain from the donor game,
and purchasing the MM-specific parts to complete the job.

I know it's much more complicated than that, but am curious if anyone
has considered this before....especially since we could be on the eve
of having a bunch of repro MM parts in the marketplace (in addition to
the ton of them that are already out there).

Anyone think it could be done for less than the current selling prices
of $6000-$8000?

Dave

I've never seen the underside of a MM, but have played the top part. I
suspect the costs of the unique components would make that project
waaay tooo costly. Just think about the obvious ones: castle, moat,
ramps, plastics, translite, cabinet art, etc. and you are into $$$.
Then think of the headache of trying to match it all up and wire it
nicely. Yuck. Now if someone was to make a "kit", for example a
prewired playfield with all the goodies complete with translite and
cabinet art, ready to plug and play, now you are talking. Of course,
suddenly Congos would go up in $$$ ;-) and MM would still be out of my
price range :-(

Duane

MM is an ok game, but it's definately not worth the price. A ton are
still on location making money, so there isn't a lot for private people
to buy yet. Makes the cost go up. CV, TAF, TZ are much better
games. MM price is going down thou. year or so and may hit something
reasonable.

jdix

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

I considered doing this using an NBA ASSBREAK as the donor. However
once I broke it all down it would have been a huge headache and only
had a slim possibility of being accomplished for less than the going
rate. The castle is probably impossible to find and the boards under
the pf would be tough to attain. Those right there would blow the
budget up I think. Not to mention the under pf wiring harnesses,
unless you wanted to build that yourself. What a hassel though!

IF (and it's a big if) TPF starts releasing a number of MM parts around
Oct 12, the used market for these could be flooded with some of these
game-specific parts for much less than the price of new. Who knows.

Actually, I was thinking it would be a fun project if it could be done
for reasonable dollars, but I can see how some may see it as a hassle.

Dave

CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Just curious, what color is the sky in your world?

Back to Dave's original question - two words: wire harness.

cj

Nwojedi wrote:
> MM is an ok game, but it's definately not worth the price. A ton are
> still on location making money, so there isn't a lot for private people
> to buy yet. Makes the cost go up. CV, TAF, TZ are much better
> games. MM price is going down thou. year or so and may hit something
> reasonable.

I've never played or seen one up close. Is this game really worth the $$$
and trouble? I hear people say TZ is the ultimate pin but the prices MM's,
CV's, MB's and CC's would say otherwise. What's the deal?

Thanks,
Mike
www.Habos-Arcade.com

"Dave Pauk" <davepauk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> With the current average prices of MM, I started wondering if you could
> actually build one yourself for less $$$ using another, less desirable
> WPC-95 game (Congo?) as the donor.
>
> This would mean you already have a backbox with WPC-95 circuit boards,
> and a cabinet that already has a lot of generic Williams hardware
> (coils, brackets, posts, etc).
>
> Add MM decals to the cab and backbox, and install a MM plunger button.
> Now, throw in a used (or possible repro) unpopulated playfield. This
> would leave adding the generic parts that remain from the donor game,
> and purchasing the MM-specific parts to complete the job.
>
> I know it's much more complicated than that, but am curious if anyone
> has considered this before....especially since we could be on the eve
> of having a bunch of repro MM parts in the marketplace (in addition to
> the ton of them that are already out there).
>
> Anyone think it could be done for less than the current selling prices
> of $6000-$8000?
>
> Dave

There is no way this game could be built cost effectively using all the
necessary specific game parts required for the playfield. The price of
specific game parts for this game would eat you alive, and no MMs are being
parted out yet.

Based on today's market inflated parts prices, even with a repro playfield
and a donor cabinet with boards it would cost in excess of $10-12k.

--
"The_Black_Knight"

The Washington State Pinball Stronghold
"A Fortress Protecting the Silver Ball"

www.geocities.com/pinball_jack

"Dave Pauk" <davepauk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> With the current average prices of MM, I started wondering if you could
> actually build one yourself for less $$$ using another, less desirable
> WPC-95 game (Congo?) as the donor.
>
> This would mean you already have a backbox with WPC-95 circuit boards,
> and a cabinet that already has a lot of generic Williams hardware
> (coils, brackets, posts, etc).
>
> Add MM decals to the cab and backbox, and install a MM plunger button.
> Now, throw in a used (or possible repro) unpopulated playfield. This
> would leave adding the generic parts that remain from the donor game,
> and purchasing the MM-specific parts to complete the job.
>
> I know it's much more complicated than that, but am curious if anyone
> has considered this before....especially since we could be on the eve
> of having a bunch of repro MM parts in the marketplace (in addition to
> the ton of them that are already out there).
>
> Anyone think it could be done for less than the current selling prices
> of $6000-$8000?
>
> Dave

I have to remit something I wrote a while back regarding this topic:

A MM Story from a Collector
Oct 21 2004, 11:53 pm

Let me tell you all a short story, based on interest on "remakes" of WMS
pinball machines.
The heart of the story is, "Why did I wait so long? Should I have?" from a
collector's point of history and view.

Late 1997, I had multiple opportunities to buy a MM NIB. I passed on it,
because I was in the process of moving and did want the fuss of moving
ANOTHER machine. I said to myself I will a chance to buy the machine, in a
few months, after it hits the streets and drops in retail.

Late 1998, the game had been in closeout from distributors, but had not
dropped below $2800. In the past, based on pinball demand, I usually could
find a machine fairly easily, but only a few remained in warehouse. I
missed the NIB route, and said "Oh well, I will buy one used."

Late 1999, Williams closes it doors, and the pinball world is shaken.
MM is an established game on routes, making good money, and operators are
not selling.
The prices remain steady for the available machines. Although, I keep
thinking the median breaking point, will cause some operators to sell,
because the have paved their way. This is the standard practice of all
coin-operated machines after 2-3 years at minimum for a excellent+ quality
machine, which has not been totally beat to hell.

Late 2000, MM prices start to rise, but still remain affordable in the
$2000-3000 range, for many examples. I have more opportunities, but opted
for completing my Early Bally collection, and stated, I could still have a
MM, but I could have 4-5 other machines at the same time. I made another
mistake here.

Skip forward to 2002, things are now out of control. Prices are
exordinarily rising.
The game is becoming out of reach, without serious work and research, few
local machines are available as operators now know they have a commodity.
Ebay is rampant. Stern pins have been produced but not up to par. Williams
pins are becoming increasing collectable.

Now 2004, I find the game, after nearly it having dropped into my lap, its a
superb example, and do not bat an eye at $5400. Buy it, take it, and run,
after nearly 8 years.

The bottom line, is if you want to play a high quality example the days are
getting short.
I ended up passing on nearly 12 machines over the past year, before I
finally "bit the bullet".
I have seen too many thrashed machines with over 50,000 plays going for over
$4500-5000.

My recommendation is if you REALLY want one, now is the time.
Search hard and get your money's worth, don't do what I did, and end up
paying $8000 for a machine, that is not worth the condition.

--

Nwojedi wrote:
> MM is an ok game,

I would say it is a bit better than OK.

> but it's definately not worth the price.

I am guessing for you. Right!! Lets not speak for everybody!!!

> A ton are
> still on location making money,

It would seem that a OK game after 8 years on location that is still
making money might be better than an OK game :)

>so there isn't a lot for private people
> to buy yet. Makes the cost go up.

Yes Sir! Econ 101

> CV, TAF, TZ are much better

I have MM and CV. CV is not better. Much better at that. Pass the
bowl!!

> MM price is going down thou.

Is that you Gary?

> I've never played or seen one up close. Is this game really worth the $$$
> and trouble?

No. IMHO.

> I hear people say TZ is the ultimate pin but the prices MM's, CV's, MB's
> and CC's would say otherwise. What's the deal?

Certainly not gameplay and replayability.