Computer Infected?

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Unfortunately last night my computer started having issues (other than the other issue I posted). I am not sure what is going on but when I boot up my computer (Alienware M14x) and get to the home screen I encounter a problem. When I hover my mouse over the task bar it shows the little loading wheel and doesn't let me select anything on my task bar. Also, CTRL+ALT+DELETE does nothing either. It is almost like my computer is frozen, but I can still move my mouse. When I boot into safe mode (which is what I am in now) everything works fine. I ran Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware in Safe Mode and nothing significant came up. Anyone know what is going on??

G

He said he already ran a scan in safe mode.

Also clean up your first post, the hijackthis log isnt needed right now.

It could be a few things. Possibly a virus, although you dont see any popups or random software threatening your pc so I doubt that.

Try running a defrag on your HDD, check for bad sectors through your manufacturers website. Do a memtest.

Also when was the last time you ran a checkdisk on your HDD? You can remove temp files, windows updates temp files, etc.

If all else fails, back up your most important data and reformat.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I checked for viruses in safe mode using Avast...nothing came up. I should have stated this in OP, but I have a Crucial M4 SSD and my original Samsung HD is in the optical bay so I have dual hard drives. Defrag isn't necessary since I have a SSD and I keep this computer beyond clean. I use CCleaner, Glary Utilities, run %temp% and clean up temp files, etc...this is really bizarre.

What is the best way to back up all my files?? I have a external 500GB hard drive. Should I do that and just do a clean install of Windows 8 since I want to upgrade anyways?

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Well...I backed up my files onto an external HD. Going to pick up a copy of Windows 8 and going to wipe my SSD and HD with Parted Magic. I am going to just take the Hard drive out of the computer all together and just stick with the SSD...its 128GB but that is plenty for me and hopefully it won't cause me as many issues. If you guys have any feedback or suggestions let me know.

G

Well you can do that. Are you currently running windows 7 or 8?

If 7 just reinstall and use your old key.

I wouldnt waste the money on windows 8, but thats just me.

Also its not always good to run ccleaner, and those kinds of utilities. Deleting temp files and stuff is ok.

If you can live off that 128GB SSD then go for it.

But yes, its probably a hard drive crapping out on you. Take it from me, one of mine just did 3 weeks ago. After 3 solid years.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I hope it isn't my SSD going bad...it is only about a year and a half old...if that. The computer itself is no more than 2 years old..

G

Well what is your OS installed to? The HDD or SSD?

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
The SSD...I just got done with wiping the SSD with Parted Magic...now doing the HDD which might take a while...running to the store to pick up a copy of Windows 8