400MHz FSB Makes the Pentium 4 Shine

G

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/Pentium4-3.htm" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/Pentium4-3.htm</A>

this is a little in depth page followed the one, "1.4GHz Pentium 4 vs. 1.2GHz Athlon Thunderbird with DDR SDRAM"

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/Pentium4-2.htm" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/Pentium4-2.htm</A>

posted few days ago.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tnaw on 11/11/00 09:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thats a pretty funny review. I highly doubt that the P4 will give that much of a boost. RAMBUS is a dinosour. P4's only use RAMBUS. I'll stick with my Athlons and my DDR thank you.

G

Hey,

While the AMD will fall back with bus speed they will catch up. It's sad that the 1.4 ghz P4 running at a 400mhz fsb barley beat the 1.2mhz K7. Maybe thats hinting at which processor will be faster once the bus speeds are the same. Also notice that Intel is dumping Rambus? Maybe they realized that the over expensive ram was going to get crushed once DDR hit the market fully. If AMD can hold steady and prepare their upcoming processors with a high fsb, ddr support, and a solid core, they wil easily blow by Intel again.

L8tr all,

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We'll all see when both systems come out eh? But the P4 1.5GHz will be more than $1,000, and the size is huge... I'll stick with AMD no matter <b>what</b>!

G

Long Live AMD (Ok so I love AMD, sue me... well don't)

AMEN!

Timothy Stankus

G

for me p4's 400Mhz quadpumped fsb will smoke amd's 1.2Mhz(and above) t'b at a noticeable margin on upcoming new softwares/games.Since the wholly new architechture,p4's core will become more and more matured.It's great expendability and extendability will lead it further performance/speed.Since those softwares nowdays dont take much advantage of p4's faster fsb and new feature,it doesnt mean it wont be changed in the future.Im not intel's big fans not amd but im just an analysis in the IT in dustry.

G

We should all keep in mind that P4s real improvement is 70 new items in it's instruction set. Like MMX, applications have to written to utilize these instructions, until they are P4s aren't going to look all that hot. The higher clock speed and FSB are just nice to have. AMD will undoubtably introduce something to meet or beat theses new instructions, and the race will be back on. Whether you are an AMD fan or an Intel fan, the competition is good for us consumers. It's a great time to be "into computers"!!

<font color=red>Trebuchet</font color=red>

G

In my oppinion, I think Pentium IV will indeed win in the frequency race. But then again, what is the point of having 3 Ghz Pentium IV, if it can't even beat a AMD Athlon 2 Ghz? Frequency rulez? Well.. we will see how AMD respond to this.

G

INtel is right now as we speak trying to get Rambus Inc. to remove the clause in their agreement that prohibit's them from making their own ddr chipset until 2003.
in 6 months intel will only be using one rambus chipset and that on a server.
the p4 should get a ddr chipset by mid year as well.
if even intel has realized it is a technological/economic disaster,then how much of a service are you doing for the readers by trying to get them to buy into an overly expensive dead end that they will have to scrap to upgrade,cpu/board and damned expensive memory in the ash can?

G

still the market is driven by clock speed. If AMD can't match the P4 clock speed their sales will suffer...

-david abraham

G

Hey,

This is the part thats making me sick. Intel has come out saying it's shooting for the clock speed. It basically saying, "We know the consumer is dumb, and only looks at clock speed." Unfortunatley they are right. Most of the market is made up of consumers that only know 1.5 is bigger than 1.2 not realizing that 1.2 is beating the 1.5. AMD will be able to match there clock speed. They are already working on the 1.6 - 1.8 with Kryotech I believe (Well I'm sure on the 1.6, and have heard rumors on 1.8) The DDR capabilites of the upcoming boards will bost the performance, and the ability for any average Joe to own a dual board will help a lot. Why own a 1.5ghz when you can own a 3 ghz dual K7. One thing to watch for also is the fact that Intel has said they aren't gonna stick with the P4 architecture in terms of the chip style. In about 1 year or so you'll have to go out and get a new board and chip.

Timothy Stankus

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
for me p4's 400Mhz quadpumped fsb will smoke amd's 1.2Mhz(and above) t'b at a noticeable margin on upcoming new softwares/games.Since the wholly new architechture,p4's core will become more and more matured.
I agree P4 would be a new architecture, and <i>may be</i> faster than new Athlons, but what are the proofs? Nothing is released yet, and we cannot judge based on 'rumours' or plans like those. To me Intel has no difference compared to Microsoft; both are pioneers of important IT infrastructure, yet they are not the best already. Well, not in every field.

Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on
However dreams are approacable :wink:

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Correct me if im wrong but isnt the AMD bus Architecture designed to go to 400 Mhz as well ? Could they not simply pump it out if it is hurting sales? I would think that a shrink in the die cast of the tbird with a better fsb would give the P4 a very bad headache..

G

Hey,

I believe your correct. Though they aren't pumping up the speeds cause it's not really needed right now. They are staring to work on raising the bus speeds. Since the current architecture almost beats the P4 1.4 while only having to run at 1.2 they have an advantage. They might not need to get up to 400mhz to beat the crap out of the P4. Only time will tell.

Timothy Stankus

G

clock speed doesn't drive the market - competitive pricing
drives the market...and believe me AMD's all that on the pricing game

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Man, when I can get a 700 mhz processor and an abit mobo for under 200 bucks, I feel like getting on my hands and knees and praying to the god that is AMD.

And that even before considering the overclockability of Duron processors.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Magus on 11/11/00 08:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pricing is important, but some kids with tons of money is willing to spend lotsa $$$ because the <i>believe</i> higher clock speed yeilds higher performance. Abd most are willing to spend more to get higher MHz. BTW AMD processors' motherboards are always more expensive than Intels'. :frown:

Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on
However dreams are approacable :wink:

G

i used to be one of those "Intel only" freak and i hated AMD when they came out with there k6/k6-2 line of processors. I tought it was crap and that pentiums were the only thing to live for... Well it changed a lot since then, i almost get convince by tom when he's pushing AMD so much. I think im getting a better opinion now, i still think that k6/k6-2 's suck but with the last intel's moves, like adopting rambus and the really bad i820 chipset, i have to agree that athlons are better than pIII. Other Intel fans will probably say that im negative but im sure that the p4 will be a very poor product. the 400mhz bus is maybe something new but did u really see a difference with the athlon running 100x2 mhz bus instead of 100?? im not sure if the performance of the athlon is due to its double-pumped bus rather than its good design. I doubt that the p4 will have a so big improvement. There's one thing i need to say though about the current situation of athlon; i think that VIA really isnt into the run with their mobos, have u seen the latest results with ddr? anywayz i wont deliberate on via's bad products since the topic is about the new p4... intel will be in the run for less than a year i think, they are truely disapointing me, i thought they were the best ones but it seems like they are falling since a year or 2

Guy Godin
(and oh, sorry for the mistakes, my english is not so good :)

G

Well, with all this said... I'd like to remind you people that we are "just beggining" to see AMD shine... imagine there possibilities... They have initially just entered the CPU market competively and are blowing away the top Chip maker "Intel"... well sorda. :) Anyway, think about it, Intel seems almost like it is straining to bluff consumers with these new "future" products. Give me a break man. My friends at work WERE big time Intel fans and I fought them even though I didn't know anything about Athlon or Duron or whatever. Now... They are talking about AMD like a god! Hah! I had to prove them wrong because of how much Intel "GASSED" there damn heads up. Hah! Damn Intel and Damn Rambus. I have a "Classic Athlon @850Mhz and 256PC133" and it rocks. But, I wish I had a Thunderbird and No dought I will get one Soon! Take a look at the TOP SELLER OF PIII's in the world =Micron= now look and see they are selling there Nick named "Best PC with 266Mhz DDR Thunderbird" above the PIII and arent having any plans on selling the P4... Now, what do you think of that! We will see in the end, if the world doesn't get taken over buy the Japanese! (Hey, Nostradomus predicted it! Don't look @ me!) :) Love you all for posting, creates a sense of worth to be alive now...

See ya!

Michael LoPinto / LoPinto Designs

G

To increase the clock speed on the P4 Intel had to double the depth of the pipeline. One of the big factors in determining if Intel can match any further AMD products will be how good their prediction algorithms can get.

Clock speed seems to sell over performance, I wonder who started that trend?

Still give me the Thunderbird with DDR anyday :)

G

comment from www.anandtech.com that has done benchmarking of the Pentium 4 already

In comparison to the upcoming Pentium 4, even with DDR SDRAM and the 133MHz FSB it may be difficult for a 1.2GHz Athlon to compete with a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 in many benchmarks. AMD may be forced to release a higher clocked Athlon in order to remain competitive performance-wise, however they will almost definitely hold the price to performance ratio crown throughout the rest of the year.

G

The graphs in that article were a little too confusing, it takes a while to figure out what they really mean and i'm not sure that i actually belive it. They were trying to use straight line extrapolation when in reality performance vs fsb speed in not linear. That entire article just looked like a bunch of bull to make the P4 look good. From what i've seen the P4 1.4 is only slightly faster then the 1.2 t-bird and the P4 is much more expensive. I do believe that if intel can produce large numbers of P4's and drop the price a little then they will sell because most people don't even know what an Athlon is and believe that the more mhz the faster the computer.

Nuts to that

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sadly you are correct. Most people do not even know nor care what a Athlon is. I build systems and my customers at first demand their systems to be P3's. The ones you can convice to buy a Tbird are extreemly impressed and tell their friends about it and slowly but constant the market share of K7 and Duron has been growing in the systems i build.

The K7 i belive has a much better core then any Intel product corrently on the market. But Intel has all the $$ in the world and no doubt that will play a HUGE factor! AMD will struggle if the do not release a higher clocked procesor. But then again it will take a while for Intel to bring the price down enough for the P4 so it will actually compete in the same maket as the K7.

As i said in another post the bus for the K7 acrhitecture is designed to do 400Mhz. And i belive AMD will have no prob at all to just pump out the necesary BUS bandwidth to compete clock per clock against Intel.

What really worries me about AMD is the fact they are starting to have a tuff time trying to keep up with demand. As i read in a recent article on tech news The AMD CEO said they had a hard time keeping up with the current demand. And think about it, if they keep groing on the scale they are currently growing then AMD might fall back in market share as the big OEM companies need a steady supply of CPU's.

I guess we will see in time that the only real winner here is the consumer. I dont care if it is AMD , INTEl , Transmeta, Via or who ever makes the chip. Just make a great chip and put a good price on it and i will line up to buy it :)

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

G

Hi!

I cannot see what 400MHz FSB with RDRAM has
an advantage over 266MHz FSB with DDR-SDRAM.
You're comparing apples to oranges here!!!

Fact is: The P-IV will have a very short
life and RDRAM is still much too expensive.

And what if AMD cannot reach the clock
speeds of the upcoming Pentium-IV?
They'll reintroduce the Pentium-Ratings...
I think we'll see some AMD Athlon PR1500
in the near future... ;-)

Tschuess

Peter

Zyphoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Vaporware is Vaporware and no matter how much people try to hype it it is still just Vaporware. Kinda like P3 1.13 not quite ready for prime time but ship it anyway so we can get the good press first then when it breaks down we will blame it on the pressure!