Curious about Caps in older pins

Just bought a Lazer Ball today (1979). Lights up, displays all
illuminate, playfield lights up. but wont' start. Just keeps running
numbers in the credits and balls display. Is there any caps that dry
out on older machines like this? This is my first Pre 89 pin. Also,
noticed that it seems there are a lot of heat resistors on the boards.
Those ever go out?

Yea i had to order the Big Blue, from someone before that remade those
for atari arcades. Wasn't that costly thou. think i paid $12 for it.
Pretty reasonable. Havn't looked for this big blue thou. Would that
cause the game to just run numbers without booting up?

Yes!

One of the major ones is on the power supply used to create the +5V. Power
supply C15 - 12000uF axial cap.
Replace C7, C11 and C13 while at it.

Also, on the sound board - a 12000uF Axial cap at C29.
Should hit C27, C30, C13, C14, and C10 while at it.

The big axial's are quite hard to find in that size anymore. I've got a
quote to have a custom lot of 1000 made... just need the moolah in order to
have that done, though.

-- Ed

"Nwojedi" <nwojedi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a Lazer Ball today (1979). Lights up, displays all
> illuminate, playfield lights up. but wont' start. Just keeps running
> numbers in the credits and balls display. Is there any caps that dry
> out on older machines like this? This is my first Pre 89 pin. Also,
> noticed that it seems there are a lot of heat resistors on the boards.
> Those ever go out?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

1) Yes, caps dry up, and these are particularly important on the sound board
and the 5V circuits (where filtered)
2) Check your on board batteries - sounds like you have corrupted memory.
You'll need fresh batteries at a minimum, powering on/off a few times should
get you in attract mode.
3) Those "heat" resistors are in the lamp powering circuits. Changing them
out for higher wattage resistors IS a good idea.

IF you get stuck ultimately and want your boards serviced, I do these
regularly and can provide a complete board overhaul/test/upgrade at a
reasonable price. Good luck!

Chris Munson

"Nwojedi" <nwojedi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a Lazer Ball today (1979). Lights up, displays all
> illuminate, playfield lights up. but wont' start. Just keeps running
> numbers in the credits and balls display. Is there any caps that dry
> out on older machines like this? This is my first Pre 89 pin. Also,
> noticed that it seems there are a lot of heat resistors on the boards.
> Those ever go out?

The one that is mounted in the bottom of the backbox (not on a board)
filters the lamp power and shouldn't have any effect on the booting/not
booting.
If you get numbers running in the credit/match display, the machine is
booting and sounds like one of your coin door switches is stuck (or the
coin door is disconnected)