Is this a clue??

Our 3 yr. old Dim. 4100 (Win. 98se) has been acting up, with
frequent warning messages appearing and generally becoming
unresponsive after about 30 min. of use. A restart will restore
nearly normal operation, but my attempts to defrag show 0 %
progress 15 min. after the defrag command. Does this sound
like a hard drive on it's way south?

Randy

Could also be a virus or spyware or lack of maintenance or misconfiguration.

Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"Judie & Randy Gehman" <randjg@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Our 3 yr. old Dim. 4100 (Win. 98se) has been acting up, with
> frequent warning messages appearing and generally becoming
> unresponsive after about 30 min. of use. A restart will restore
> nearly normal operation, but my attempts to defrag show 0 %
> progress 15 min. after the defrag command. Does this sound
> like a hard drive on it's way south?
>
> Randy

To figure out what is going on:

First, download and run the disk drive manufacturer's diagnostic software. If
the drive in your system is a Quantum, use the Maxtor diagnostics. There is no
sense trying to solve complex software problems if the hardware is not 100% OK.
Micro$oft SCANDISK is a poor, poor substitute for manufacturer's diagnostics.
Did I say "poor"?

Next, if the diagnostics show that the drive is in good health with ZERO bad
sectors, remove all the temporary files from the systems using the built-in Disk
Cleanup utility. Micro$oft's disk cleanup does an incomplete job, but it's a
start. Also, delete all cookies and temporary internet files. They are a
useless accumulation of files for most computers, unless you are running with
real slow dialup.

Next, boot up the system in safe mode and run a defrag, especially if a defrag
has not been done for a few months. It may also be helpful to defrag the
Windows registry, the Achilles heel of Windows.

Next, if the system still behaves as before, download, update, and run both
Spybot 1.3 and the latest Ad-Aware. Both are free, and both do a good job of
removing spyware, adware, malware, and all the other ware secretly installed in
your system.

Finally, does the system become slow and unresponsive after you do any sort of
sequence of operations, like document editing, printing, browsing?

.... Ben Myers

Judie & Randy Gehman wrote:

> Our 3 yr. old Dim. 4100 (Win. 98se) has been acting up, with
> frequent warning messages appearing and generally becoming
> unresponsive after about 30 min. of use. A restart will restore
> nearly normal operation, but my attempts to defrag show 0 %
> progress 15 min. after the defrag command. Does this sound
> like a hard drive on it's way south?

What *kind* of warning message?

Notan

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
> To figure out what is going on:
>
> First, download and run the disk drive manufacturer's diagnostic
> software. If the drive in your system is a Quantum, use the Maxtor
> diagnostics. There is no sense trying to solve complex software
> problems if the hardware is not 100% OK. Micro$oft SCANDISK is a
> poor, poor substitute for manufacturer's diagnostics. Did I say
> "poor"?
>
> Next, if the diagnostics show that the drive is in good health with
> ZERO bad sectors, remove all the temporary files from the systems
> using the built-in Disk Cleanup utility. Micro$oft's disk cleanup
> does an incomplete job, but it's a start. Also, delete all cookies
> and temporary internet files. They are a useless accumulation of
> files for most computers, unless you are running with real slow
> dialup.
>
> Next, boot up the system in safe mode and run a defrag, especially if
> a defrag has not been done for a few months. It may also be helpful
> to defrag the Windows registry, the Achilles heel of Windows.
>
> Next, if the system still behaves as before, download, update, and
> run both Spybot 1.3 and the latest Ad-Aware. Both are free, and both
> do a good job of removing spyware, adware, malware, and all the other
> ware secretly installed in your system.
>
> Finally, does the system become slow and unresponsive after you do
> any sort of sequence of operations, like document editing, printing,
> browsing?
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:32:14 -0400, "Judie & Randy Gehman"
> <randjg@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Our 3 yr. old Dim. 4100 (Win. 98se) has been acting up, with
>> frequent warning messages appearing and generally becoming
>> unresponsive after about 30 min. of use. A restart will restore
>> nearly normal operation, but my attempts to defrag show 0 %
>> progress 15 min. after the defrag command. Does this sound
>> like a hard drive on it's way south?
>>
>> Randy

In addition to Ben's recommendations, check out the necessity for all
auto-start programs. Start/Run command/type: msconfig...[enter]/select
the startup tab. Review each startup to identify its purpose and if it
is needed. Use this site as a guide to what each startup application is
doing: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

If the startup is not required, uncheck the box, but also make a note of
the application. Run each application and find the setting for "start
this application when Windows starts", etc, and disable it.