I came across this questionnaire template on Google while looking for laptop suggestion, so I figure I'll give it a go for some specific help on my laptop choice:
1. What is your budget?
Around $1000AUD, absolutely no more than $1500.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
This is where I get stuck the most on my choice of laptop. See question 4 and 12 for reason.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Anything more than 1024x768. A resolution most commonly used by business people would help me in website layout design.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both, but more towards desktop replacement - by getting this laptop, I will be getting rid of my desktop and netbook. However I will also be carrying it outside of home. I wish my laptop to be a mix of the desktop and netbook I am using at the moment.
5. How much battery life do you need?
At least 3 hours with internet surfing, document processing and email.
6. Do you want to play games
with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- Everquest 2 high textures, far render distance, with other options off or on low (no shadows, no water effects, low res mirror reflection etc)
- World of Warcraft medium-high
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Everything else that I would do on the only computer I have:
- programming, software and website development
- photo editing, possibly some casual 3D modeling
- watch movies
- Microsoft Office stuff
- anything else, since it will be the only computer I have
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250GB or more
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any that ships to Australia
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least for the next 2 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I can live without optical drive integrated into the laptop and use external ones instead, but if there's one I'd like DVD Writer
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
The link below shows exactly the two models that I am having trouble choosing from:
Alienware m11x appeals to me on:
- perfect carry-around size (11")
- capable of running WoW-era games with this portable size
- awesome battery life, which means I don't have to stay with a power socket all that much
Alienware m11x concerns me on:
- durability of staying up and running for long hours like keeping desktop running for a long time
- performance on multi-tasking, such as running Everquest 2 with Google Chrome and MS Office Word running at the same time
- 11" screen might be a bit limiting, but it's hard to say without hands on experience (I know I'm getting tired of the screensize of my netbook but it also has much lower resolution)
Asus G73(or its previous model such as G71 and G60) appeals me on:
- being more powerful than my current desktop, from what I heard
- no problem at running almost any games on high-end setting
- not having to worry about it not being able to run things I used to be able to on my desktop
Asus G73 concerns me on:
- overheating (from what I heard)
- will have to rely on power sockets most of the time
13. What country do you live in?
Australia, will eventually move to America in a little over a year. I also travel to America occasionally before that.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
As mentioned, this laptop will be replacing both my desktop and netbook at once. My current netbook is Asus eeePC 1000HA. My PC has the following specs:
I multi-task a lot on my desktop, so I'd like my laptop to be able to do the same thing.
The two models I linked above appeal to me equally, but depending on which I choose, my working routine will vary greatly, hence the difficulty for me to choose between those two.
*If I choose Alien m11x, I won't have to stay near a power socket as much, means I can work and play anywhere I want, but I might have to worry about not being able to do things that I used to be able to on my desktop
*If I choose Asus G73, I'd use it like I normally would with my desktop, but I will only carry it around if I know I am going to have a power socket ready at where ever I am going.
And of course I am open to suggestion of other models. I don't have particular love-hate preference on brands as long as it is supported in Australia.