Could someone clear this up?

G

I was just wondering if someone could please clear up why when i search for a P3 800 and it has all this jargon beside it - ie, FCPGA and FSB and Slot 1 and beside the processor clock frequency it has an EB. Could you please tell me what this means and which one is better for playing 3D Games.
Thanks

G

All those extra letters and numbers tell you about the capabilities and/or the connection type of the CPU.
FCPGA stands for Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array - it is the way that the actual silicon for the processor is mounted in the chip. Usually FCPGA are socket type CPU's. Slot1 is another type of connector for CPU's, used only on the Intel Pentium II/III. FSB stands for the Front Side Bus, that is, the speed with which CPU communicates with system memory. The EB is a code used on Intel processors, to distinguish different types. EB means that the CPU uses a 133-MHz front side bus, and uses the .18 micron process.

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
E = Coppermine
B = 133 Mhz FSB
EB = Coppermine w/ 133 Mhz FSB

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
As for performance, I've seen plenty of p3 700E's overclocked around 133+ Mhz FSB. So if you're willing to overclock a 100mhz p3, I don't see any reason to get one with 133mhz FSB unless you're looking to spend more money.

G

133Mhz CPU's are actually cheaper make sure the RAM can run at 133Mhz. If you dont know buy a 100mhz CPU

agriffin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, I think all the fastest Intel chipset is still the BX overclocked to 133mhz. Unless I've missed something, but I'm pretty sure it's still the raining champ. If I was seriously looking for an Intel system, I think I'd go that direction.

I know the BX chipset doesn't support 4x AGP. I'm not sure if anyone has modified a board to try it though, anyone know of one?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
At this point, you should consider a completely new system, especially if you are into gaming (unless you are a retro-gamer). Buying a "new" old CPU is just wasted money IMHO.

You could grab a budget barebone (Celeron or Sempron based) kit, migrate compatible component and enjoy a nice performance boost.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Oh damn... look the date!

(Msg. 1) Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 3:08 pm

Holy Necromancy Batman !

Revolt%20of%20the%20Zombies.jpg

I feel unclean for contributing to that blasphemy !

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Inactive, inactive, inactive... hey look, I'm still active even after 5yrs! :lol:

So does that make you an official "Father Toms" poster? :lol:

Nice to see dedicated people here. Only means you have a true helping heart. :wink:

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Inactive, inactive, inactive... hey look, I'm still active even after 5yrs! :lol:

So does that make you an official "Father Toms" poster? :lol:

Nice to see dedicated people here. Only means you have a true helping heart. :wink:
Nah, mpjesse registered the same day as I did and is still very much active.
Chipdeath too I think but he's been busy lately.
FYI, November 11th 2000 was the day when THGC(the old forum) went public. :)

This is fuckin crazy. This thread should be kept alive for generations to come :)

I wasn't around much when Toms started the forum, I would be considered ancient poster too :p

Too bad they didn't have that running when overclocking your P75 was all the hype (got mine to 112.5 stable, and 120 by disabling level 1 cache... Didn't keep it that way long, it was crawling slow).