Age of Empires: Rise of Rome query

Hey there,

A friend and I have dug out our RoR copies and tried to play a game against
each other. He is behind a Linksys router and I am behind a linux box.
I've setup port forwarding to forward the following ports to my private IP:
2300 through 2400,6073,35202,47624 both TCP and UDP

The first time we played, it worked for a bit then dropped. Now when we
play, he connects OK, his game version never displays, we can't see what
each other type, what civ we are, etc, and he gets dropped after a few
minutes. I decided maybe my linux box is doing something funky that I
can't see with tcpdump or ethereal, so we forwarded the same ports on his
Linksys router and we have the same result, I can join, but my game version
never shows up and we can't see each others interaction with the startup
screen, and eventually I get dropped. It really bothers me because this
exact setup worked once and refuses to work at all now. I'm playing on
Windows XP SP2 with the built in firewall turned off, he is on Windows ME.
Both games are Rise of Rome 1.0a. As a test, I turned my builtin firewall
on, plugged directly into the cable modem and it works fine, so it is
definitely something with the ports I'm forwarding, I just can't tell what.

Thanks for any help!

Jim Berwick wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> A friend and I have dug out our RoR copies and tried to play a game against
> each other. He is behind a Linksys router and I am behind a linux box.
> I've setup port forwarding to forward the following ports to my private IP:
> 2300 through 2400,6073,35202,47624 both TCP and UDP
>
> The first time we played, it worked for a bit then dropped. Now when we
> play, he connects OK, his game version never displays, we can't see what
> each other type, what civ we are, etc, and he gets dropped after a few
> minutes. I decided maybe my linux box is doing something funky that I
> can't see with tcpdump or ethereal, so we forwarded the same ports on his
> Linksys router and we have the same result, I can join, but my game version
> never shows up and we can't see each others interaction with the startup
> screen, and eventually I get dropped. It really bothers me because this
> exact setup worked once and refuses to work at all now. I'm playing on
> Windows XP SP2 with the built in firewall turned off, he is on Windows ME.
> Both games are Rise of Rome 1.0a. As a test, I turned my builtin firewall
> on, plugged directly into the cable modem and it works fine, so it is
> definitely something with the ports I'm forwarding, I just can't tell what.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Did you look at the Port Forwarding help here? I don't know that it
will help:

http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports

In particular, look here:

http://www.portforward.com/