Latitude help

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 26, 2004 3:57:45 PM

I need a bit of guidance on how to re-install windows on a Latitude
a366st, i can't get it to boot from the cd-rom (bios won't allow the
change) and can only boot into safe mode, and when in safe mode i can't
see the cd-rom. Is there a work around for the bios to allow the system
to boot from disc, or is there another way to get into the system to
install windows ??

Thanks
DeZ

More about : latitude

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 3:57:46 PM

If the BIOS won't allow the change, you need to find the owner and disable
the password.

"DeZ" <dez@netbitez.co.uk> wrote in message
> I need a bit of guidance on how to re-install windows on a Latitude
> a366st, i can't get it to boot from the cd-rom (bios won't allow the
> change) and can only boot into safe mode, and when in safe mode i can't
> see the cd-rom. Is there a work around for the bios to allow the system
> to boot from disc, or is there another way to get into the system to
> install windows ??
>
> Thanks
> DeZ
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:51:38 AM

are you saying that you are unable to enter the bios and change the boot
order? that perhaps there is a password on the bios? or could it be that
you have the cd-rom attached externally to the system instead of having it
installed in the drive bay? the cd-rom will not work if attached
externally, only the floppy works externally.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ppun/en/1...
the fn-f1 key to enter setup only works in windows 9x, not nt or xp (as in
your case). to enter the bios you must press fn-f1 (or scrolllock-f1 on an
external keyboard) right after post (power on self test) completes and
before the operating system begins to load... you can press the combination
multiple times in an effort to better your chances of finding the small
window of opportunity... until you get familiar with it.

"DeZ" <dez@netbitez.co.uk> wrote in message
> I need a bit of guidance on how to re-install windows on a Latitude
> a366st, i can't get it to boot from the cd-rom (bios won't allow the
> change) and can only boot into safe mode, and when in safe mode i can't
> see the cd-rom. Is there a work around for the bios to allow the system
> to boot from disc, or is there another way to get into the system to
> install windows ??
>
> Thanks
> DeZ
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:22:05 AM

If your CD-ROM is internal and the BIOS won't allow booting from the CD-ROM
this should allow you to do it.

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/index.php3?body=download.h...

Brian

!