Problems with Service Pak 2

I am using a Microsoft Router and Card for my wireless
computing. I downloaded Service Pak 2 and it only allows
me to be connected for aprox 8 minutes then it says it
can't find a network.

After several hours on the phone with Microsoft they have
not come up with any solution. Has anyone had similiar
problems? Did you find a solution?

Thanks
15
answers
Last reply
More about problems service

    pro last week, at SP-1, using MS-510 wireless adpater to
    my netgear router (cable internet access). All was fine,
    last night upgraded to SP-2, now wireless does not work.
    First problem was, for WEP-key, which is 13 hex characters
    (26 in all), the updated broadband config only takes 25!
    So, I removed wep-key, still no connection. I removed MS-
    broadband software and adapter. Then re-installed, but
    broadband software install cd immediately says "there is a
    known incompatiblilty with this wireless adpater software
    and the version of windows you have. Please get latest
    from www.micro....... or call ........."
    I am REAL disapointed in MS!

    Which router?

    What is the firmware version on the router?

    Which network card are you using?

    Is it a wired or wireless connection?

    Bob wrote:

    > I am using a Microsoft Router and Card for my wireless
    > computing. I downloaded Service Pak 2 and it only allows
    > me to be connected for aprox 8 minutes then it says it
    > can't find a network.
    >
    > After several hours on the phone with Microsoft they have
    > not come up with any solution. Has anyone had similiar
    > problems? Did you find a solution?
    >
    > Thanks

    assistance.

    time.

    You don't need the BNU on Windows XP computers.

    Here is a list of the replies I have given on the BNU.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=no-spam@netzero.com+bnu&hl=en

    JW wrote:

> [...]

    assistance.

    time.

    I have a MN-100 router to network four home pc's. It has
    worked well for a couple of years.

    When I installed SP2 it warned me that "There are known
    compatability issues" please contact Microsoft. I have
    not been able to find any patches.

    However I have found a solution that will work for the
    time being:
    1. Uninstall router software and turn off the PC
    2. Go to the router and push the reset button.

    When I turn the PC's back on they reconfigure themselves
    to share the Internet connection, but we have no Network.

    My kids send me e-mail attachments when they need to
    print something. It's ugly, but it works until a patch
    becomes available.

    If anybody is listening out there it sure would be nice
    to have a easy way to set "Client Filtering" so that I
    can limit the amount of time my kids spend on the
    internet and IM. A dream of mine is to have parental
    controls as well as antivirus software running on the
    router.

    Of course the antivirus would have to be a yearly
    subscription service with automatic updates.

    Best regards
    Joe

    If you searched this newsgroup you would have seen me posting that the
    updated version of the BNU (the software giving you the error) was
    released before Windows XP SP2 was. Thus you don't need to wait to
    install the newer version of the software.

    Since you are using the Mn-100 I see no point in installing the BNU on
    any of your computers since it is only needed to configure WEP on
    computers that don't fully support wireless networking.

    Joe wrote:
    > I have a MN-100 router to network four home pc's. It has
    > worked well for a couple of years.
    >
    > When I installed SP2 it warned me that "There are known
    > compatability issues" please contact Microsoft. I have
    > not been able to find any patches.
    >
    > However I have found a solution that will work for the
    > time being:
    > 1. Uninstall router software and turn off the PC
    > 2. Go to the router and push the reset button.
    >
    > When I turn the PC's back on they reconfigure themselves
    > to share the Internet connection, but we have no Network.
    >
    > My kids send me e-mail attachments when they need to
    > print something. It's ugly, but it works until a patch
    > becomes available.
    >
    > If anybody is listening out there it sure would be nice
    > to have a easy way to set "Client Filtering" so that I
    > can limit the amount of time my kids spend on the
    > internet and IM. A dream of mine is to have parental
    > controls as well as antivirus software running on the
    > router.
    >
    > Of course the antivirus would have to be a yearly
    > subscription service with automatic updates.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Joe

    assistance.

    time.

    I'm having a similar issue with my wireless network...
    after installing and rebooting, my MN-510 no longer
    registered the correct WEP, even though it is correct.

    I've reset my base station, generated a new WEP number,
    and it says that one's wrong too (even though it's
    correct.)

    Uninstalled on each computer, reinstalled (using updated
    software from site) and got things running only with the
    computers connected via ethernet. The wireless boxes have
    same issue with the WEP

    After installing service pack 2 on the base station
    computer it can no longer access the base station
    management tool.

    This is ridiculous...

    Uninstall the BNU (Broadband network utility) on the following types of
    computers, Windows XP, Windows 2003, & wired computers.

    To access the BSMT you just type in the IP address of the router (The
    default is 192.168.2.1).

    So just remember as I have posted several times in the last month &
    several times this month uninstall the BNU on all computers that don't
    need it. I only ran the BNU back for version 1.0 because it was needed
    to install the auto-update at that point. It is no longer needed for
    that anymore & thus is useless on the Computers I suggest uninstalling
    it on.

    Shawn wrote:
    > I'm having a similar issue with my wireless network...
    > after installing and rebooting, my MN-510 no longer
    > registered the correct WEP, even though it is correct.
    >
    > I've reset my base station, generated a new WEP number,
    > and it says that one's wrong too (even though it's
    > correct.)
    >
    > Uninstalled on each computer, reinstalled (using updated
    > software from site) and got things running only with the
    > computers connected via ethernet. The wireless boxes have
    > same issue with the WEP
    >
    > After installing service pack 2 on the base station
    > computer it can no longer access the base station
    > management tool.
    >
    > This is ridiculous...

    assistance.

    time.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Previously in microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware, Joker
    <no-spam@netzero.com> proclaimed :

    >Uninstall the BNU (Broadband network utility) on the following types of
    >computers, Windows XP, Windows 2003, & wired computers.
    >
    >To access the BSMT you just type in the IP address of the router (The
    >default is 192.168.2.1).
    >
    >So just remember as I have posted several times in the last month &
    >several times this month uninstall the BNU on all computers that don't
    >need it. I only ran the BNU back for version 1.0 because it was needed
    >to install the auto-update at that point. It is no longer needed for
    >that anymore & thus is useless on the Computers I suggest uninstalling
    >it on.

    odd. I have BNU on three XP Pro systems in our home wireless network
    (MN500 with the USB adaptors) and after installing SP2, downloaded the
    wireless update on all three pc's and the network works *better* than
    it did before.

    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
    safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
    -Unknown
    Remove "die spammers" to email
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    It is a waste of HD space as well of processor time on wired computers &
    computers running an OS that fully supports wireless networking such as
    Windows XP. The BNU is only needed on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE,
    Windows 2000, & Windows ME to configure the WEP setting that those
    computers are using. (It doesn't support WPA & most likely never will
    because that might hurt the sales of Windows XP.)

    wideglide01 wrote:

    > Previously in microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware, Joker
    > <no-spam@netzero.com> proclaimed :
    >

    >>Uninstall the BNU (Broadband network utility) on the following types of
    >>computers, Windows XP, Windows 2003, & wired computers.
    >>
    >>To access the BSMT you just type in the IP address of the router (The
    >>default is 192.168.2.1).
    >>
    >>So just remember as I have posted several times in the last month &
    >>several times this month uninstall the BNU on all computers that don't
    >>need it. I only ran the BNU back for version 1.0 because it was needed
    >>to install the auto-update at that point. It is no longer needed for
    >>that anymore & thus is useless on the Computers I suggest uninstalling
    >>it on.
    >>

    > odd. I have BNU on three XP Pro systems in our home wireless network
    > (MN500 with the USB adaptors) and after installing SP2, downloaded the
    > wireless update on all three pc's and the network works *better* than
    > it did before.

    > People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
    > safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
    > -Unknown
    > Remove "die spammers" to email

    assistance.

    time.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    You most likely haven't installed any software that doesn't like SP2,
    such as spyware or malware then. I have seen to many cases when people
    blame Microsoft when it is caused by something stupid they did or that
    they installed.

    wideglide01 wrote:

    > Previously in microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware, Joker
    > <no-spam@netzero.com> proclaimed :
    >

    >>Uninstall the BNU (Broadband network utility) on the following types of
    >>computers, Windows XP, Windows 2003, & wired computers.
    >>
    >>To access the BSMT you just type in the IP address of the router (The
    >>default is 192.168.2.1).
    >>
    >>So just remember as I have posted several times in the last month &
    >>several times this month uninstall the BNU on all computers that don't
    >>need it. I only ran the BNU back for version 1.0 because it was needed
    >>to install the auto-update at that point. It is no longer needed for
    >>that anymore & thus is useless on the Computers I suggest uninstalling
    >>it on.
    >>

    > odd. I have BNU on three XP Pro systems in our home wireless network
    > (MN500 with the USB adaptors) and after installing SP2, downloaded the
    > wireless update on all three pc's and the network works *better* than
    > it did before.

    > People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
    > safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
    > -Unknown
    > Remove "die spammers" to email

    assistance.

    time.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Previously in microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware, Joker
    <no-spam@netzero.com> proclaimed :

    >It is a waste of HD space as well of processor time on wired computers &
    >computers running an OS that fully supports wireless networking such as
    >Windows XP. The BNU is only needed on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE,
    >Windows 2000, & Windows ME to configure the WEP setting that those
    >computers are using. (It doesn't support WPA & most likely never will
    >because that might hurt the sales of Windows XP.)
    >
    >wideglide01 wrote:

    I like the interface and the processor time is negligible. As for HD
    space, that's something I have more than enough of. If it ends up
    being an issue, I'll remove it. As for now, it's not so I probably
    won't.

    tks for the tip.

    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
    safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
    -Unknown
    Remove "die spammers" to email
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Previously in microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware, Joker
    <no-spam@netzero.com> proclaimed :

    >You most likely haven't installed any software that doesn't like SP2,
    >such as spyware or malware then. I have seen to many cases when people
    >blame Microsoft when it is caused by something stupid they did or that
    >they installed.
    >
    >wideglide01 wrote:

    That isn't isolated to installing SP2. 3rd party software can cause
    conflicts with many existing drivers. My dept supports 32,000+ XP
    systems and the majority of the time when we see software
    incompatibility issues, it's because the user wanted to installed 3rd
    party software that conflicts with something else already on their
    system.

    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
    safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
    -Unknown
    Remove "die spammers" to email
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I'm receiving the same error message. Sometimes I'll
    return to the computer to find that I somehow have a
    connection, and everything works fine. When I check the
    system later, no connection. There doesn't seem to be
    anything I can do to regain the connectivity. It just
    seems to connect and disconnect on its own. It seems odd
    on how specific the error message is, and it's surprising
    to me that Microsoft hasn't addressed it yet. If someone
    has the answer, I'd sure like to hear about it.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    True any poorly written software will cause problems or if companies
    have the security set to high to run the software.

    I know for TurboTax 2003 that on the NT kernel Operating systems you
    needed local Administrator rights to install & run the program.

    wideglide01 wrote:
    > That isn't isolated to installing SP2. 3rd party software can cause
    > conflicts with many existing drivers. My dept supports 32,000+ XP
    > systems and the majority of the time when we see software
    > incompatibility issues, it's because the user wanted to installed 3rd
    > party software that conflicts with something else already on their
    > system.

    assistance.

    time.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Are you running Windows XP as well?

    Have you seen any of my several hundred posts telling Windows XP users
    they are better off uninstalling the software?

    That is the solution Microsoft is providing because the software isn't
    even needed on Windows XP computers.

    JG wrote:

    > I'm receiving the same error message. Sometimes I'll
    > return to the computer to find that I somehow have a
    > connection, and everything works fine. When I check the
    > system later, no connection. There doesn't seem to be
    > anything I can do to regain the connectivity. It just
    > seems to connect and disconnect on its own. It seems odd
    > on how specific the error message is, and it's surprising
    > to me that Microsoft hasn't addressed it yet. If someone
    > has the answer, I'd sure like to hear about it.

    assistance.

    time.

Routers Hardware Microsoft Networking