Celeron or P3

G

I'm debating on a Celeron 700MHz or a Pentium III 667MHz @ 133MHz bus. I primarily use this computer for games and I'm about to get a Geforce 2 GTS 32MB video card. I currently have a Pentium II 450MHz. Do I need to upgrade and if so which processor? I don't have the money to upgrade to an AMD system, but trust me I'd love to. Also I'm not very interested in overclocking with the current motherboard I have.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by foxnet3 on 11/11/00 10:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd try for a p3 700E if you plan on overclocking. It'll say it only supports 100mhz FSB, but you'll be able to get 133 out of it with the right memory.

G

IMHO, you should get rid of that slot 1 motherboard and buy a Duron of an Ahtlon. Hehe. But if you a cheap solution, buy the Celeron. But if you want better performances without caring much about the cost (which might be the case if you buy a p-III) then you should obviously switch to an AMD system.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you want a cheap solution get a Duron because Durons are cheaper anyway

Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on
However dreams are approacable :wink:

G

i think you would be better off going to a Athlon/Duron instead of the intel chips...
but if you want to stay with intel, the pIII 667 will give much higher performance (especially in games) than the celery will.

G

I always say start fresh if the piggy bank has a full belly.
Cut the pig open and go for a new sys baord with an AMD cpu.
Don't support Intel.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you said you don't have the money for an amd system, however, if you are considering buying a p3 667 you do have the money. on pricewatch, the p3 667 id $150 + shipping. a duron 600 (which performs at least as well as the celery 700 but not quite like the p3) is $45 + shipping, an epox ep-8kta+ mobo (which allows for overclocking) is $102 + shipping, and a heatsink/fan is about $15-$30 depending on brand. basically, for an extra $20 or so you can have an amd system that can easily be upgraded to a thunderbird when you have the money. not to mention, the duron should easily hit 800 (judging by other peoples success as well as mine) in which case it will destroy the celery and easily compete with a p3 667. i'm obviously an amd fan but that doesn't mean you have to be. if you can't go amd, get the p3 over the celery anyday if you have the cash. the 667 will be better than the 700 due to the bus, but keep in mind that the overclockability is better with the 700 in case you go down that road in the future. wow, sorry that was so long winded...

G

You did not specify what type of motherboard you have. If you are running a PII 450 it is probably a BX based board. Therefore the board will not officially support 133 mhz bus speed and you will need to get a 100 mhz bus CPU. Most BX boards can be overclocked to 133 but you stated you do not want to overclock. A celeron will give you the most bang for your buck and you can always overclock the celeron. I pushed my celeron 400 to 500 on an 83mhz bus with no problems whatsoever. Your board could probably do the same.

G

What? A Duron 600 will *CERTAINLY* outperform a Celeron 700! I mean, looking at the 66 MHz bus that the Celery offers, it will run like a hamster wheel, especially if you're into gaming!

My suggestion, go with a Duron 650 and a nice KT133 based motherboard, such as the fitting Asus or Abit models. I say, while Intel's on this rollercoaster, avoid it at all costs, despite what the ignorant stock analysts say.

sy[161]e :tongue:
<A HREF="http://www.sy161e.net/" target="_new">http://www.sy161e.net/</A>

G

My motherboard is Abit VA6. The only reason I haven't gone to AMD is because I can't afford the motherboard I want. ABIT KT7 RAID.

G

Just keep the PII 450 and upgrade the video and memory you will still find it fast enough for gaming.Just a cheap solution till the DDR-RAM chipsets come out then make your move to them for a faster option.I think games at this point in time still only require a P233 max so a PII 450 is still quite alright.

G

The VA6 will go up to a 933mhz P3 on 133 bus with the latest BIOS. If you like to play First Person Shooter games like Quake 3 then you need 128meg of RAM first. The greatest CPU and video card will stink with less RAM. Your Geforce card will be limited by your CPU if you stick with the P2-450. My Athlon 550 kills my celeron 500 in Quake 3 so I would think your Geforce card would also be somewhat limited by a celeron 700. Since you can do 133mhz bus I would go for the P3 rather than being limited to 66mhz bus with celeron. My TNT 2 video card was limited by my Celeron. PS. If you want to sell your P2 450 I will buy it for my empty BX board.