Online Gaming Centers

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Does anyone know how online gaming centers get all those copies of software? I mean do they actually go to a store and buy 20 copies of Counter Strike, 20 copies of Diablo, etc.. Or is there some other way they purchase so many CD-keys, etc. and get a discount? Thanks for any insight.

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Yes. Around here was have online gaming centers. Businesses set up with 20 computers or so with a T-1 connection. People can go to these places and play online games like Counter Strike, Diablo, Meadal of Honor, if they don't have high speed internet access or a computer. I'm curious as to how these places get so many copies of these games. For instance only 1 CD-Key from Counter Strike can be used in a server. If someone with the same key tried to get in, it won't allow them and says that the CD-Key is already in use. So these places must have mulitple copies of each game. I'm thinking of opening one of these and I'm wondering if I have to go and buy 20 copies of each game I want to offer or if there is some other way to obtain the different CD-Keys. Hope this help. Thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ah, you mean an internet cafe. When you said "online gaming center", I thought you mean something like Gamespy, where it's a service you play games through.

Legally they must buy a copy of the game for each computer. It's not really that big a deal though, when you consider you're buying a bunch of new computers and paying a decent amount of money for the bandwidth.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Thats what I figured. I just wonder if you can contact the game makers directly and get a bulk discount or something. I doubt it though. Thanks for the reply.

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I've never been to one of those places but I've heard about them. I think we may even have one or two somewhere around here but the midwest is always a few years behind with that kinda stuff. Anyway, do all these places use the internet? I thought they just set up their own LAN to play on.
And if you are gonna setup up a place like this you are gonna have to put up so much money the price of the games will be pretty insignificant. Just think, the computers alone will be about a grand each, then you need to buy the OS for them, all the network equipment to hook it all up, rent and utilities for the store, desks/tabkes and chairs etc etc. Damn, you would probably need 50 grand just to get started...

habs4life

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
usually they are required to buy licenses.

hom.GIF