Sign in with
Your question

cpu upgrade procedure regarding software?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2000 12:16:38 PM

here is a question that i pose to myself, every time i upgrade my cpu. "what next?" example: going from a p2-celeron 366 runniing at 550 to a p3-800
after a successfull chip grade, do you have to reinstall your os?? i am in win98se. and what about games like quake3? everyone adreseses the hw issues but never the sw..
ed wilson ewilson248@aol.com
November 12, 2000 12:20:36 PM

I don't think a chip upgrade would need reconfiguration of the softwares. However maybe some chip upgrades that adds SSE instructions not available in previous generations of chip could mess up. Anyway the OS should reconfigure itself and all you'll have to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy the upgrade.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2000 4:37:18 PM

There shouldn't be a problem - but windows may need to re-install some drivers (which it'll do automatically) if you also swap your motherboard.

I installed a K6-2 500MHz recently, and to my surprise found I had to download a patch to make the chip work at 100MHz bus speed. Apparently, Win95OSR2 doesn't like these chips and won't boot with them installed because of a "timing error", unless you install this patch from M$ & AMD. I had to run the chip at 5x66MHz (333MHz) until the patch was installed, then I could safely clock it up to 5x100MHz (500MHz), (or 5x120MHz = 600MHz overclocked :) 

I've never ever heard of anything like this before, but there might be similar issues with other processors. It's best to check!
December 27, 2000 5:03:28 PM

I think no one addresses the SW issue because 99.999% of the time there is no software issue. Anything that doesn't fix itself should be incredibly rare. And if you hit the incredibly rare, reinstalling should fix it. If not ... you've hit some freaky twilight zone.

Since software is designed to run on any like chip, no matter what the speed or who the manufacturer may be, it should all be good. (Well, unless you're trying to run Mac software on a PC.)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.
!