Change of processor

G

Actually I have an Asus P2B v1.2 + Celeron 333 + 64 RAM 100 Mhz. I want to change the processor with another better without changing the motherboard, and I am thinking in a Pentium III 550 Mhz. What do you think will be better?
Thanks.

Carles

G

If you only want to go to 550 Mhz, have you tried overclocking your current chip. If you are going up, the lowest speed these days seems to be 600 Mhz. Also be careful because Intel has SO many different chips these days and some may not work with your MOBO. Also remember going up 50 - 100 Mhz doesn't make that much difference.
Usually a more modern mobo makes a greater difference. The older pentiun mobos only went up to 550 mhz so that limits you if it is tha case with yours. Probably get a bigger kick by spending the money on an Athlon Mobo and Duron processor.

G

Hey,

Consider dumping Intel for AMD. I'm a big advocate. It will be an investment, not that expensive, but you'll get tons of upgradeability, and expansion plus cheaper faster alternatives.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

The asus P2B is a slot 1 BX motherboard. The asus website specifies jumper settings for up to 600mhz coppermine CPU. Although it may be able to go faster. Especially if you can increase the bus speed.

G

you got 100 Mhz ram that is good I would got buy a Coppermine pentium three 256K on die cache in the slot one format (look hard) dont buy anything under 700Mhz it is very cheap and you know you are not getting Off die cache 512 K chuck in another 64 meg of RAM and you have one kick ass system. If you want games get a descent graphic card off coarse Geforce series (duh) MX GTS Ultra $100 $200 $499 respectivly (not the ultra is 3 times as fast as the MX but 5 times the price so dont buy one )

bassin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Actually I have an Asus P2B v1.2 + Celeron 333 + 64 RAM 100 Mhz. I want to change the processor with another better without changing the motherboard, and I am thinking in a Pentium III 550 Mhz. What do you think will be better?
Thanks.

Carles

Buy a core 2 duo, it will smoke your celeron 333

Just joking :lol: :lol:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If you only want to go to 550 Mhz, have you tried overclocking your current chip. If you are going up, the lowest speed these days seems to be 600 Mhz. Also be careful because Intel has SO many different chips these days and some may not work with your MOBO. Also remember going up 50 - 100 Mhz doesn't make that much difference.
Usually a more modern mobo makes a greater difference. The older pentiun mobos only went up to 550 mhz so that limits you if it is tha case with yours. Probably get a bigger kick by spending the money on an Athlon Mobo and Duron processor.

I agree about the athlon. I would get an ecs K7s5a and any duron or any 200mhz fsb athlon. Usually you can find them on ebay all over.
No way man; K7 systems today are way more expensive for the performance thay offer than a super low end K8.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Thanks.

Carles
Well, well, well; I had the same problem to solve; same CPU (250nm Mendocino core) , but different board. I have to tell you that, overall, it is not worth upgrading that system, because it will perform not sensibly better. The cheapest decent upgrade you could perform, keeping some of your hardware like HDD/CD, case is a new CPU/motherboard/RAM combo like:

Sempron 2600+, $27
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=SDA26BX_64

cheap S754 motherboard with onboard graphics (still beter than anything you might have), $38:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-K8M8MV2

minimum cheap RAM of 265MB for $17:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=D256M400TE
and you're done: TOTAL $82
for a new system that wil perform 6 to 10times better than your actual system.

P.S:probably you'll also need to change PSU.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I agree with M25,

An investment in your current MB/SYS will technically be lost. Your gain will be minimal and probably at times not very noticeable.

His suggestion is certainly the way to go. With the 2600+ you will be suprised at the upgrade it will be compared to what you have. It will even run slightly more current games like UT2k4 runs great on a 2600+ (graphics card has alot to do with this too).

If not a gamer then you will still see a drastic difference in other apps.

Be advised that programs may NOT load any quicker because you will be using the same IO subsystem with the same speeds as before. The controller on the MB may be a little better and may enable some features of a newer drive if you have one. So you may see a little diff there too (not much).

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
A 533MHz P3 can be found even at $15-20 but he'll hardly experience any boost, especially with 64M of RAM. Only a miserable $82 and he gets a still very decent home PC, even capable of coping with Vista.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Why the hell did you press reply? *shakes head while laughing*
And why the hell did we others follow, not stopping 2 seconds to think that the request to swap a celeron 333 was somehow odd by today's standards ?! *bumps his head on the keyboard*

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Nah, this is what you get for not bothering to read past the first post.

"If you are going up, the lowest speed these days seems to be 600 Mhz."

Dead givaway. :p

Well, least he's keeping you guys on your toes.

TRENDING THREADS