Getting rid of unwanted icons

bikeme74

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
Hi,

Can someone help me get rid of some icons on my desktop? There are two icons next to the clock (bottom right corner) that I don't want to load up/start up when I start up my computer. When I right click it, there are no option for me to choose to prevent it from loading up. Also, I have a Plextor 40/12/40A burner and I installed their software Oak Technology thing. It put a SimpliCD ROM icon on my desktop which I cannot delete or drag to the trash can. Where should I go / what folder should I look into, to get rid of this or prevent programs from starting up automatically/put their icon next to the clock? I'm using Windows XP Professional and I like the classic look instead of the new eye-candy look (too childish). I know about the option of "hide when inactive option," but I want to get rid of the icon period or prevent some program from automatically starting up. With Win98se, I went to Start>Program>Accessories>System Tools>System Information> and there was this "Start Up Tab" that I can choose and could uncheck the stuff I don't want to start up when I reboot my computer. I can't find that option in WinXP. You help is greatly appreciated! Sorry if these questions sound too elementary.