Sign in with
Your question

Rationalizing Gaming mice

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b 4 Gaming
March 13, 2012 6:51:09 AM

So I was chatting with my parents, asking them to keep an eye on the fedex dude for a package of mine tomorrow (CM storm spawn) they asked what I bought I said a mouse. Asked how much I spent on it, said 40. they asked why I would spend 40 dollars for a mouse when they are like 10 dollars new. I didn't really have a response, just that I needed a new one and that this mouse has better tracking then the 10 dollar mice... (I didn't go into the fact that my current mouse is using PS/2 and only 800DPI, etc)

My main point is to ask you how you rationalize spending so much on a mouse?
a b 4 Gaming
March 13, 2012 10:42:05 AM

tell your parents that yes you can get $10 mice (even $10 m+kb set!) but in that price range you are often getting no-name brands, laptop sized mice or budget models. while true that they will work perfectly fine they lack the features of mid-level mice such as the one you bought.

tell them that you can easily spend $100 on a mouse (razer) or $200 on a keyboard (mechanical). i spent $100 on a logitech mx1000 kb+m set 9 years ago.

other things to keep in mind:
-ergonomics are more important than price.
-you might get extra buttons on higher end mice
-dpi (although anything more than 1200 is a joke)
-name brands cost more

if that still isnt enough then ask why they dont buy $10 shoes.

i've used $5 mice before, they do perform good but as i said: ergonomics is key. i would gladly pay $100 for a mouse that fits me than $5 for one i hate.

in fact.. i'm going to be getting a new mechanical keyboard in the $100-200 range for just that reason. the last one lasted me 9 years so i dont see the point.

also ps/2 is what you want to be using for a mouse. it sends an interrupt signal...it doesnt poll. if you have usb... use an adapter and thank me later.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 13, 2012 6:34:43 PM

ssddx said:
tell your parents that yes you can get $10 mice (even $10 m+kb set!) but in that price range you are often getting no-name brands, laptop sized mice or budget models. while true that they will work perfectly fine they lack the features of mid-level mice such as the one you bought.

tell them that you can easily spend $100 on a mouse (razer) or $200 on a keyboard (mechanical). i spent $100 on a logitech mx1000 kb+m set 9 years ago.

other things to keep in mind:
-ergonomics are more important than price.
-you might get extra buttons on higher end mice
-dpi (although anything more than 1200 is a joke)
-name brands cost more

if that still isnt enough then ask why they dont buy $10 shoes.

i've used $5 mice before, they do perform good but as i said: ergonomics is key. i would gladly pay $100 for a mouse that fits me than $5 for one i hate.

in fact.. i'm going to be getting a new mechanical keyboard in the $100-200 range for just that reason. the last one lasted me 9 years so i dont see the point.

also ps/2 is what you want to be using for a mouse. it sends an interrupt signal...it doesnt poll. if you have usb... use an adapter and thank me later.

hehe they do buy 10 dollar shoes, oh and the bit about the ps/2 vs usb, isn't that a myth unless you are just completely clogging up the bandwidth of the usb controller with like 14 usb drives running at the same time? (or am I completely off base on how this works in relation to polling speeds and usb controller response times?)

As for mechanical keyboards, I don't see what the hubbub is about. Sure they feel nice to game on and the keys last a bit longer but they are so loud o_o
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 13, 2012 7:19:00 PM

if they buy $10 shoes then they will not understand without quite a bit of explaining. in the end though its "my money, my choice"

ps/2 ports only send a signal to the cpu when the mouse is in motion. if on the usb bus the mouse will poll the cpu hundreds of times per second which if the mouse is not moving... wastes cpu cycles which could be used for other tasks.

generally you are correct that performance will be relatively the same. i would only expect a noticible delay if the bus is clogged with traffic. however, if given a choice why wouldnt you go for the better option of the two?

so you are half right, its not a myth but it doesnt hold alot of merit in average situations. do what you want, its just as suggestion.

i can type almost 200% faster on a mechanical keyboard while making 85% less mistakes. this is due to the tactile feedback, bottoming out of keys and solid non-spongy key action. rubber dome switches can not hold a candle to mechanical boards.

you are correct, mechanical keyboards can be noisy. i used a model m for many years and it is the loudest of the lot. however, it is only about 50% louder than somebody pounding the keys on a rubber dome switch keyboard. the boards also last a long time. i was using a board from 1994 (and before that one from 1986) until someone spilled a whole glass of liquor into it, hence my need to buy a new keyboard.

mechanical keyboards are most definitely worth it if you do any typing at all. for gaming it is more preference.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 13, 2012 9:20:48 PM

If it is your money, then you have the right to spend it as you wish. If you were spending your parent's money... then that's a different issue.

As with just about everything in life, the amount you pay for an item can reflect it's overall quality and usefulness. Some of that money does go towards the brand name though. For example, Brand X's mouse may just be as good (or better) than Logitech's mouse, but the $10 or $20 difference goes to the fact that you are buying a Logitech mouse.

Not sure which part of the US you live in, but back in 2004 a friend of mine wanted to go to Tad's Steakhouse for a steak lunch. I never been there, but like an idiot I said, "Okay, I try it". It's one of those fast food restaurants that sells steak cheap. I recall thinking to myself I simply should have ordered a salad instead of eating what they were trying to pass as steak.
m
l
!