CPU overheating???

G

A friend of mine is having a problem with her computer. She says it started making a noise and when Windows loads up everything is very fast. An example: She double clicks an icon to start a program and the program will open 14 or 15 times. A second example: the computer will freeze, she reboots and the scandisk program that runs when she restarts finishes in less than 1 second.

She placed the phone by the computer and to me it sounded like the hard drive was making the noise. But, I never heard of the hard drive causing problems like this. I thought it was the CPU overheating. Has anyone heard of a problem like this caused by the CPU overheating. The noise could also be from the fan malfunctioning.

Thanks.

G

Uhmmm, sounds like more THUROUGH trouble-shotting is required... Holding a phone next to a computer and listening to it doesn't sound like old school t-shotting to me :wink:

G

I know, but I live 4 hours away and I won't be able to go check it out until Thanksgiving. I was just trying to get an idea of what it could be.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had a similar problem with a computer, it was a conflict between IRQ's from a soundcard and a SCSI card, resulting in a grinding noise and very strange OS behavior, similar to wath you described.

Hope that helps...

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
caboose you too geez
but of course. Im trying to get people away from their AMD is gonna kick the snot out of Intel, or AMD is teh suxorz!!!!!111oneoneoneonne what i hate ppl ho speak haxor its so annoyingI agree. It was just an example.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Sounds like it could be virus related.

Have her boot into Safe Mode with networking and try a free online virus scan (regardless if she has antivirus protection or not) like Trend Micro's Housecall, if possible.

The noise she's hearing could be any number of things. Hearing it on the phone was a nice try, but it won't tell you much. If it is hardware related, she might have to take it in to a local shop if you can't get to it. If it is a virus, the hard drive could be shifting into overdrive due to the virus' wrongdoing.

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
If your thinking its the drive, defrag it and have her download a drive diagnostic utility. Most OEMs and HD manufacturers provide them for download and get her to run it. If it comes up bad have the hard drive shipped to her house in time for you to install it over Thanksgiving.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
If your thinking its the drive, defrag it and have her download a drive diagnostic utility. Most OEMs and HD manufacturers provide them for download and get her to run it. If it comes up bad have the hard drive shipped to her house in time for you to install it over Thanksgiving.

That's ok dude, I made the mistake too.

Look at the original post's date!!!!!