What temperature do BG's start getting susceptible to dama..

I'm overstuffed with games and will need to store some in my unheated
garage in PA (ie - get's pretty cold in winter)... Am I overreacting or
should I take all the BG's off the machines while they are out there
and the temperatures get lower in fall / early winter. I obviously
don't want to risk any getting damaged. Is there a rule of thumb range
of temperatures that I should protect them against ? 30's ? 40's ?
etc.. ? or should I just take them out now and be better safe than
sorry ? I've heard that temperature change is a big culprit or is cold
temperatures over long term itself an issue ? Any guidance would be
appreciated.
Joe

I'd take them all out and store them inside in a safe place Joe. No
reason to take chances.

I've heard now that even glasses that have been treated with Triple
Thick are susceptible to cracking, peeling and lifting at low temps. In
fact someone had posted on here about that exact thing happening to
them.

Anyway, I'd put 'em inside.

Joe,
As far as I know, (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong), The
main enemies of your backglass outside of father time himself, are
temperature changes and moisture. It's not so much storing them in a
cold or hot place that causes damage, but rather the repeated heating
and cooling cycles that cause the glass to expand and contract,
loosening the inks hold on the glass.
I always remove my backglasses and store them in the same type of
environment where the game has been set up, i.e. room temperature. You
can build a little rack setup in a closet that works great for this.

Tim

Good idea to store them in a climate controlled environment. Just keep
in mind that by taking them out of the games you are increasing the
chances of them getting broken. Most backglasses get broken out of the
game.
Bill

worldpc@aol.com wrote:
> I'm overstuffed with games and will need to store some in my unheated
> garage in PA (ie - get's pretty cold in winter)... Am I overreacting or
> should I take all the BG's off the machines while they are out there
> and the temperatures get lower in fall / early winter. I obviously
> don't want to risk any getting damaged. Is there a rule of thumb range
> of temperatures that I should protect them against ? 30's ? 40's ?
> etc.. ? or should I just take them out now and be better safe than
> sorry ? I've heard that temperature change is a big culprit or is cold
> temperatures over long term itself an issue ? Any guidance would be
> appreciated.
> Joe

No particular temperature since it's the variation in temperature that
does them in. Think of your backglasses like scuba divers trying to
avoid the bends by not making sudden changes in depth. Similarly, the
more gradual the temperature change to a backglass, the less likelihood
of the ink lifting from it since it shrinks and expands at a different
rate than the glass itself. You could probably store your backglasses
in a meat locker without any damage (at constant humidity), as long as
you later brought them back up to room temperature sloooowly. However,
if you've got room for them indoors, you might as well keep 'em inside.

I've got some games stored in a barn that's insulated but not heated in
the winter. Even though it gets down below freezing in there, the
day/night temperature change is probably less than ten degrees. If
there were windows, it would probably be fifty degrees or more. I've
never had backglasses delaminate while being stored. However, I *have*
had issues with delamination during shipping. Why? Because the cargo
hold of an airplane at 35,000 feet is really, really cold, and the
temperature changes rapidly. A backglass should be shipped with plenty
of bubblewrap and styrofoam not just to protect it from breakage, but
also for insulation purposes. More insulation means slower temperature
changes.

worldpc@aol.com wrote in news:1127846295.625426.249930
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I'm overstuffed with games and will need to store some in my unheated
> garage in PA (ie - get's pretty cold in winter)... Am I overreacting or
> should I take all the BG's off the machines while they are out there
> and the temperatures get lower in fall / early winter. I obviously
> don't want to risk any getting damaged. Is there a rule of thumb range
> of temperatures that I should protect them against ? 30's ? 40's ?
> etc.. ? or should I just take them out now and be better safe than
> sorry ? I've heard that temperature change is a big culprit or is cold
> temperatures over long term itself an issue ? Any guidance would be
> appreciated.

Do what I do when I put games in cryo-storage (i.e. my unheated detached
garage)... Take the glass out and throw it in the spare bedroom. You
won't be sorry!

Thanks everyone - seems like a no brainer. I appreciate the input.

A rapid change in temperature in either direction
is what will usually cause the damage. Taking them
out, you risk damaging them from moving them around....

I'd say take them out, wrap them in heavy paper, and
keep them in a climate controlled environment.

I lost 3 glasses _inside_ my house winter before last. :((

(Lost World, Spy Hunter and a Triple Strike. All perfect.)

--
Fred
TX