What temperature do BG's start getting susceptible to dama..

I'm overstuffed with games and will need to store some in my unheated
garage in PA (ie - get's pretty cold in winter)... Am I overreacting or
should I take all the BG's off the machines while they are out there
and the temperatures get lower in fall / early winter. I obviously
don't want to risk any getting damaged. Is there a rule of thumb range
of temperatures that I should protect them against ? 30's ? 40's ?
etc.. ? or should I just take them out now and be better safe than
sorry ? I've heard that temperature change is a big culprit or is cold
temperatures over long term itself an issue ? Any guidance would be
appreciated.
Joe
7 answers Last reply
More about what temperature start susceptible dama

    I'd take them all out and store them inside in a safe place Joe. No
    reason to take chances.

    I've heard now that even glasses that have been treated with Triple
    Thick are susceptible to cracking, peeling and lifting at low temps. In
    fact someone had posted on here about that exact thing happening to
    them.

    Anyway, I'd put 'em inside.

    Joe,
    As far as I know, (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong), The
    main enemies of your backglass outside of father time himself, are
    temperature changes and moisture. It's not so much storing them in a
    cold or hot place that causes damage, but rather the repeated heating
    and cooling cycles that cause the glass to expand and contract,
    loosening the inks hold on the glass.
    I always remove my backglasses and store them in the same type of
    environment where the game has been set up, i.e. room temperature. You
    can build a little rack setup in a closet that works great for this.

    Tim

    Good idea to store them in a climate controlled environment. Just keep
    in mind that by taking them out of the games you are increasing the
    chances of them getting broken. Most backglasses get broken out of the
    game.
    Bill

    worldpc@aol.com wrote:
    > I'm overstuffed with games and will need to store some in my unheated
    > garage in PA (ie - get's pretty cold in winter)... Am I overreacting or
    > should I take all the BG's off the machines while they are out there
    > and the temperatures get lower in fall / early winter. I obviously
    > don't want to risk any getting damaged. Is there a rule of thumb range
    > of temperatures that I should protect them against ? 30's ? 40's ?
    > etc.. ? or should I just take them out now and be better safe than
    > sorry ? I've heard that temperature change is a big culprit or is cold
    > temperatures over long term itself an issue ? Any guidance would be
    > appreciated.
    > Joe

    No particular temperature since it's the variation in temperature that
    does them in. Think of your backglasses like scuba divers trying to
    avoid the bends by not making sudden changes in depth. Similarly, the
    more gradual the temperature change to a backglass, the less likelihood
    of the ink lifting from it since it shrinks and expands at a different
    rate than the glass itself. You could probably store your backglasses
    in a meat locker without any damage (at constant humidity), as long as
    you later brought them back up to room temperature sloooowly. However,
    if you've got room for them indoors, you might as well keep 'em inside.

    I've got some games stored in a barn that's insulated but not heated in
    the winter. Even though it gets down below freezing in there, the
    day/night temperature change is probably less than ten degrees. If
    there were windows, it would probably be fifty degrees or more. I've
    never had backglasses delaminate while being stored. However, I *have*
    had issues with delamination during shipping. Why? Because the cargo
    hold of an airplane at 35,000 feet is really, really cold, and the
    temperature changes rapidly. A backglass should be shipped with plenty
    of bubblewrap and styrofoam not just to protect it from breakage, but
    also for insulation purposes. More insulation means slower temperature
    changes.

    worldpc@aol.com wrote in news:1127846295.625426.249930
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm overstuffed with games and will need to store some in my unheated
    > garage in PA (ie - get's pretty cold in winter)... Am I overreacting or
    > should I take all the BG's off the machines while they are out there
    > and the temperatures get lower in fall / early winter. I obviously
    > don't want to risk any getting damaged. Is there a rule of thumb range
    > of temperatures that I should protect them against ? 30's ? 40's ?
    > etc.. ? or should I just take them out now and be better safe than
    > sorry ? I've heard that temperature change is a big culprit or is cold
    > temperatures over long term itself an issue ? Any guidance would be
    > appreciated.

    Do what I do when I put games in cryo-storage (i.e. my unheated detached
    garage)... Take the glass out and throw it in the spare bedroom. You
    won't be sorry!

    Thanks everyone - seems like a no brainer. I appreciate the input.

    A rapid change in temperature in either direction
    is what will usually cause the damage. Taking them
    out, you risk damaging them from moving them around....

    I'd say take them out, wrap them in heavy paper, and
    keep them in a climate controlled environment.

    I lost 3 glasses _inside_ my house winter before last. :((

    (Lost World, Spy Hunter and a Triple Strike. All perfect.)

    --
    Fred
    TX

    <worldpc@aol.com> wrote in message news:1127846295.625426.249930@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > I'm overstuffed with games and will need to store some in my unheated
    > garage in PA (ie - get's pretty cold in winter)... Am I overreacting or
    > should I take all the BG's off the machines while they are out there
    > and the temperatures get lower in fall / early winter. I obviously
    > don't want to risk any getting damaged. Is there a rule of thumb range
    > of temperatures that I should protect them against ? 30's ? 40's ?
    > etc.. ? or should I just take them out now and be better safe than
    > sorry ? I've heard that temperature change is a big culprit or is cold
    > temperatures over long term itself an issue ? Any guidance would be
    > appreciated.
    > Joe

Internet Explorer Games Temperature Video Games