Upgrading a notebook

G

I read a bit of the new material on mobile CPUs - as usual lots of great info.
I have an IBM 385XD (Pentium 233) that I wouldn't mind breathing some new life into. Does anyone have experience with upgrading IBM notebooks? I am sure an MB change is out of the question, so I'm looking for perhaps a PII in 'P' package. Does such a beast even exist?

Thanks in advance!

G

Hmm, havent heard of those. But anyway, not everyone would like to crank open a notebook for a processor change.. have you asked the dealer from where you got the notebook in the first place?

/---------------------------------------/
Be and let others be as well!
The Dark-Knight

G

I build all my own machines and I buy from a company that lets me buy the parts I want. They actually phone me about things sometimes. The upshot is, they said "when you find out, tell us!"

BrianL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried upgrading a compaq notebook CPU but gave up as it took so long to get the thing apart and it has so many little parts that fall out during the process that I was just glad to actually be able to get everything fitted back in the case and the case closed. I really didn't think it would ever work again. I did not see any jumpers to set. Real estate is really scarse in there and heat buildup from higher operating frequencies would probably be a real problem

evader

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first find out what the voltages are for your existing CPU & it's power dissapation. you can safely sub a chip that uses 25% power and probably up to a max of 50%, depending on the heatsink and cooling of your unit. next find out if the voltages can be adjusted on your sys/bd. if so you have a new selection of CPU's to use. if your sys/bd doesn't support split voltages you are SOL, unless you can fing a schematic of you sys/bd and have the technical know how and ability to mod it. P.S. IBM has specs for all it's components on it's web site(somewhere!!)