Getting a new PIII, have a question re FSB

G

I am getting a PIII 800 system with 815 SCII chipset for a ridiculous price. It's a one off that the manufacturer is not happy about so I can't make any changes to the system. It comes with PC100 memory but I would prefer to get PC133 memory since the cost of memory is currently very low.

My question is. Are there issues with the change-over. I.E. are there two versions of the PIII one for use with PC100 and another for PC133 or should the swap over be a peice of cake???

G

Well, if it comes with PC100 RAM, then the PIII should be at 100 Mhz Front Side Bus, using PC100 or PC133 wouldnt matter (although you wont get any fast with PC133). If by some reason the processor is at 133 FSB, then the provider is messing with you sending slower memory.

/---------------------------------------/
Be and let others be as well!

G

Intel's site is cumbersome but I found my answer in the end. (Thanks Dark Knight for your sterling efforts). In case anyone is interested.

If the chip name ends in B it is of the 133MHz variety.
If the chip name ends in E it uses the 0.18 thingy process

Looks like I'm stuck with PC100 memory.

Still I mustn't grumble. I did get the PC at half price.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Intel's site is cumbersome but I found my answer in the end. (Thanks Dark Knight for your sterling efforts). In case anyone is interested.

If the chip name ends in B it is of the 133MHz variety.
If the chip name ends in E it uses the 0.18 thingy process

Looks like I'm stuck with PC100 memory.

Still I mustn't grumble. I did get the PC at half price.

HELP!