How much cache for cpu???

G

I have an old sys.(P120) I want to install more cache mem.
(it has 256k on the board), the manual tells me that I can upgrade to 512k, my question is: Is an extra 256k going to make a difference and,where can I buy it?, also what is the long slot next to the cpu? it is called "SRAM Slot" on the manual but it is empty, should I have a module installed there for better performance? I'm not familiar with cache memory modules and I'll be grateful for any advice on this.

G

The slot next to your socket is a CAMM slot used for the cache upgrade you are asking about. You will find a jumper that lets you select on-board cache or the CAMM slot cache. With the way software and games are going today you would be better off upgrading your board and CPU. If you are trying to run something like Linux without X-Windows then stick with what you have else please by all means take that cache upgrade money you have and buy something new. Please a Duron 600 and motherboard is only USA-$129. :smile:

:wink: <font color=red>Im</font color=red><font color=green>Em</font color=green><font color=blue>PeD</font color=blue>

G

Hey,

I agree with Chris, it's better spent on a Duron.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

You'll have to buy the full 512k too. Using a CAMM disables the onboard cache (as implied by the jumper switch note)

G

I think adding another 256k cache won't be toonoticeable. Only owning the first 128kb is very important, cos the first 64k doubles the system performance, the second gives about 33% plus, the next about 20%, and so on.
The only advice I can give you is to sell your system right now, and if you don't want to spend too much money on a new system by a second hand mvp3 chipset mobo with a slower k6-2 what you can upgrade when you need it.