1TB HDD ⅔ drive D is unused

dtw3

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
The original Samsung set-up gave 3 ‘non-reversible’ options for the use of the 1TB HDD. The recommended ⅓ drive C; ⅔ drive D choice was made but it appears drive D is empty, unused and wasted. Given the general advice, “Get the biggest drive you can afford”, I don’t understand the logic of this.

Can anyone please explain in simple terms? Have I done the right thing?

Thanks

dtw3

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Yes, same for C. Not knowing much, I'd have just been following Samsung’s instructions/recommendations which I realised later, were not in the best sequential order.

rdc85

Honorable
what do u means by unused/wasted? (is it not detected?)

u can always use it to store multimedia files (they are big) or games (installed) on D:
since they are one physical drive, install it on c: or D: will not give much speed diffrent..

edit: for me it quite oposite with "go with largest one drive", I Like to organize each type of data for each drive... one for OS, one for games, one for music, etc....

it had benefit that runs them multi task / paralel without hinders each other, it will sleep (save power / lifetime) when not used and when one drive fails it'll not effect the other... (simpler for recovery process)

But for SSD, the saying is true, to get largest u can afford..

dtw3

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks, reading between your lines, you might have solved this issue for me.

Drive D is detected.

As you can guess, this is all new to me. I didn't known that I could/should put stuff in that partition. Drive C is where everything is and goes to (automatically) and I imagined moving stuff elsewhere would mean I’d have to tell the software where it had been put.

An example: My Documents has extra folders which seem to be automatically added and just clog up the view. They don’t seem to do anything that warrants them being there, certainly Outlook Files seems to be a waste of space, all it is, is a list of files that you can’t access except through Outlook. I’ve successfully deleted one or two of these folders but one recreates itself and if I move ‘Outlook Files’ to somewhere less obtrusive, Outlook won’t work.

So, back to D, for instance, if I put archive documents on there, how would that work?

I don’t want clog up this thread space but would like a few more comments on the main issue.

Hello... you bought a new 1TB drive?... and the samsung software partitioned the drive into C:333 gig and D:667 gig... ok... the default of any software is to load on your C: drive partition... you have to specify where to load any new programs to the D: partition... I would be cauious to be just moving things to your D: partition cause the original program in C: partition will not find them... unless you tell the program to look for them there in D: ... but can be done by changing the settings/options for saving in the program it self.

rdc85

Honorable
Hehe, my English only so-so :D

some programs will always save it's files on C: (the outlook) but most of them will save them at where u installed them..... (some can be change at the option/setting)

since your programs/games are installed in c: so u may need to unistall them and reinstall them to d: to clear some space in c: ..
when instaling apps usualy they will ask the location to instal u can choose browse and select D: or u can just change the letter "C:" became "D:", than the installer will take care the rest...

for doc or music / mov, u may had to manually move them from the document folder from c: to new (created) folder in D:

to run them u will need to browse the D: and double click the doc/files.... (or if it music or movie, u can insert them to the playlist)

hope it helps...

dtw3

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks everyone, I have a better understanding now of the issue. I don't think any harm has been done and before making any changes I will take some specific advice.
I'll try to add 'Solved' to the headline.