Wanting to hook pc up to lcd tv..what do i need?

blackns

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
My lcd tv has hdmi ports and also a pc port for the monitor input. I need to know how i would go about getting the sound from my pc to my tv w/o using the pc speakers. I see a port on the back on my tv for s/pdif or something for audio. If anyone knows what exactly i should purchase, that would be very helpful! Also, my pc is about 10 ft from my tv

Solution
there may be vga to hdmi adapters but quite frankly i'm not sure if sound can be carried via vga. i suppose you could output sound via a 3.5mm cord to a 3.5mm auxilliary audio input port on your tv if it has one.

but..

the simplest option would be to get a cheap card with either:

dvi output which supports sound out via dvi. you would need the propper dvi to hdmi cable then. this is how i personally connect up to my receiver.

hdmi output and a hdmi cable. i believe the cards with hdmi automatically support sound out but you might want to check on this.

most likely even low end video cards in this day and age support these features since htpc's and hdtvs as monitors are getting more popular all the time. for non-gaming use products...

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
HDMI carries audio/video, so that is your best option. Once connected you can go into your sound options on the PC and change the output device to your HDMI connected TV instead of the internal speakers.

I suggest http://www.cablewholesale.com/ (depending on where in the world your are) so that you don't get price gouged.

blackns

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
looks like my card only supports vga...it may be a built in graphics card. I may just buy another card that supports dvi to hdmi with sound out? Any suggestions? I don't game on my pc or anything so it doesn't have to be high end...just needs to support sound out with dvi i guess...

there may be vga to hdmi adapters but quite frankly i'm not sure if sound can be carried via vga. i suppose you could output sound via a 3.5mm cord to a 3.5mm auxilliary audio input port on your tv if it has one.

but..

the simplest option would be to get a cheap card with either:

dvi output which supports sound out via dvi. you would need the propper dvi to hdmi cable then. this is how i personally connect up to my receiver.

hdmi output and a hdmi cable. i believe the cards with hdmi automatically support sound out but you might want to check on this.

most likely even low end video cards in this day and age support these features since htpc's and hdtvs as monitors are getting more popular all the time. for non-gaming use products under $60 are probably fine. you might be able to pick one up for half that cost but i wouldnt know without actually looking at current prices.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS