AMD 1.2GHz Dream System- NEED ADVICE!

G

Hello everyone,

I'm a regular on www.sharkyforums.com and I've posted my soon-to-be-built system so many times I can't even count, refining it oh-so-carefully so that I have the "perfect" system. Since these boards just came up a few days ago, I thought I'd post the outline of a system that I will be purchasing next month.

Any comments, suggestions, personal experience stories and tips are appreciated! :)

Btw, the prices are in Canadian Dollars, so don't freak out. (1USD = 1.5CND approx.)

Just a few notes so I don't hear the same arguments all over again:
(1) I'm NOT going with the AMD 760. This is final. :) It's nothing against the 760, I just like the setup I have now.
(2)

$0199.99 Asus A7V Pro, Socket A, AGP, Via KT133 (ATX)
$0564.99 AMD Athlon (K7) 1.2-GHz (Socket A) 256k OEM
$0674.99 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 Ultra w/ 64Mb AGP Retail Box
$0275.00 (approx) 256 MB CAS-2 PC133 RAM From Crucial
$0314.99 45 GB IBM Deskstar Ultra-100 7200RPM 2048k 8.5ms OEM
$0174.99 Pioneer 16X DVD-Drive (40X CD-ROM) OEM
$0375.00 (approx) Klipsch Pro-Media v.2-400 4x speaker 1x subwoofer
$0264.99 SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1 (Retail Box)
$0664.99 Viewsonic PF790 19" SVGA 0.25ag N.I. 1600x1200 TCO99 Energy 2000
$0255.00 (approx) 3DCOOL.COM Tornado 1000 Case w/300W Power Supply
$0069.99 3COM 10/100Mb PCI Network Card OEM
$0044.99 Logitech Internet Keyboard
$UNKNOWN Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
--------
$3564.87 SUB TOTAL
x1.15 TAX (15% sales tax in canada :)
--------
$4099.60 TOTAL

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's a machine! The only things I'd change is the Internet keyboard, I like my keyboards more straight. (but it's my preference :) ) I have an intellimouse myself and it's a great one but if I was you, I'll buy a mouse without a ball, more durable (infrared or laser, not sure) . For your board, I dont know when the DDR chipsets will be available but the price differences will be small according to reviewers.

Nice machine thought, if only I could win the loto...

G

The intellimouse explorer is infrared.

Good point on the keyboard (but it's not exactly one of the key components IMHO, I was looking for commentary on the major parts :)

G

That's a nice system. I ordered one just like it (should be here next Wednesday). The only difference was the memory (384 MB VC-SDRAM) and the case. I don't mean to plug any one company in peticular, but have you been to Alienwares's web site? That is were I ordered my system, and the have 99% of all the components you just listed.

G

A comparable Alienware system costs 4000USD instead of 4000Canadian! That's a HUGE price increase. Plus I ENJOY building systems. :)

G

<a href="http://www.pccanada.com/">http://www.pccanada.com/</a>

G

Can't comment too much on the major components. But I would rethink the mouse. You ever heard of the Razer? They make a 1000 and 2000 dpi mouse. I own the 1000 dpi mouse and it is incredibly precise and the fastest thing around. I've used the Intellimouse and wasn't even close to being impressed. Once you've used one in gaming you'll know what I mean... The website is www.razerzone.com

G

I must say...........you learned your lessons well.
Everything is okay, fast mem, good crt mon, good mobo.
A real killer.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why did you pick the CLAP Ultra?
I'm sure there are other Ultra cards out there that are made by companies with much better technical support. I almost bought this card, but after my dealings with Creative Labs concerning my sound card and from reading their newsgroups I opted for a different brand.
A slower card for more money is a small price to pay for less frustration and keping my sanity.

G

Het great machine! I have one suggestion though.
Take a look at the 22" NEC's at Futureshop. I
know I cringe when I hear futureshop too, but these
monitors are the real deal for a reasonable price
($1300 for a 20" viewable TRINITRON)
Just a thought....it's the best monitor i've ever had.

Everything else looks tip top. I recently spent the same amount of $$$ (Cdn.) and am kicking myself because of the
up and coming availability of DDR RAM. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait. Just a thought.

G

I, as well, would opt for DDR memory. New memory technologies don't come around very often, as the technology can never keep pace with the processors themselves. I would recommend waiting, but hey, it's just me :)

G

I think DDR would be better, but if it's your choice to use slower SDR RAM, well, what can I say?
But there's one thing I don't understand: why buy a 5.1 sound card and 4.1 speakers? It makes no sense to me...
And another thing... you should go for the biggest picture... err.. screen you can buy, with the best quality, and that's a Mitsubishi 22" CRT...

G

Thanks guys, I have some more comments/questions:

Can you explain the thing about the 4.1 speakers and 5.1 sound card? (I'm confused...)

My budget doesn't allow for a 22/21" monitor, as much as I'd like it.

I *MIGHT* wait for DDR... Maybe...

MORE COMMENTS APPRECIATED.

G

Hey,

Dag nabit, drooled all over the keyboard again. Nice machine!

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

I am thinking of purchasing a razor mouse. Have you had any compatibility problems with razor software drivers and win 98 SE?

G

Great configuration. I also thought about your graphic card. I would choose another brand (Elsa or Guillemot).
Keyboard (I like Multimedia keyboard/wireless) and maybe you can get a little more memory (512 MB), especially today there is a big drop in memory (I hope it will drop further) :cool:

I am not sure about 4.1 vs. 5.1 sound cards - but I think it is mostly about digital dolby surround (I guess 4.1 doesn't have this feature), it is great for DVD and then you will reaally enjoy your movies.

G

Hey.
Nice system. About the 760, They are coming soon and even if you don't go with it you should wait as the pricing for your other stuff will only go lower.

You have some good prices, are pricing all your stuff from the same place.

Where are you located, I'm in Toronto and the few places I look at on the web don't even offer the 1.2 yet. I will have to give them a call.

That video may not be the best bang for the buck, I always found that CLabs over priced their cards as compared to comparable cards of other manufactuers.

Is the A7V PRO any different from the A7V -- Anyway, have you looked at the Abit KT7 raid mother board. You could get to smaller HD's and strip them.

Best of luck and be patient. You want the most for your money.
Take care.

I to am looking at about the same time frame as you,

G

Well, you chose an excellent sound card with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. That means that it can output sound to 6 speakers - 1 subwoofer and 5 satellite speakers (beeing one of them the central unit). In the other hand, you chose (again excellent) speakers, but that only have a subwoofer and 4 satellite speakers, without Dolby surround sound...
Why not go for the Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop Theater 5.1, also from Creative Labs? The price is just around the same... And You'll benefit from Dolby surround, it's really great for gaming and watching DVD movies!!

Too bad you can't afford a 22" monitor... :?(

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personally i'd change the motherboard to an ABIT KT7-RAID. I am a dedicated ABIT customer. I have never had 1 problem with one of them. You might want to look at ELSA video cards. They tend to be a little less troublesome than the Creative cards. The viewsonic monitors are alright, but i love my LCD. Check out the microsoft intellieye mouse. I like the optical mice. they track very well. Also, if you are looking for a good "natural" style keyboard, check out the microsoft internet explorer pro. IT's got a dual port usb hub built into it.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

Just a few thoughts:

1) On the mouse side, If you are going optical I would suggest the Logitech. Logitech mice are higher quality than the inteli mouse (the explorer mouse might be better). I smacked that inteli mouse once and the buttons cracked in two. Cheap crap. I've smacked my logitech around I dont know how many times (avid Q3'er here ;o) and it comes back for more.
2) on your mobo -- WAIT FOR DDR It is sooo close, I am waiting too my friend. I want it now, but I know DDR will rock and last longer and cost about the same!
3) Why go for a 1.2Ghz cpu? I guess the price isn't bad, but the 1Ghz is higher on the price\performance scale. I personally am getting the T-bird 900 for $165 -- cant beat that with a stick!
4)Go with the Abit Kt7Raid, and buy 2 Wd 7200 RPM ata 100's -- this will be CHEAPER than the 45 gig deskstar, and MUCH faster in raid !!
5) I am going with a flat screeen 17inch monitor for now, it's $400 cheaper! 19 Inch are getting better in price, though. DONT GO BIGGER it's ridiculous. Good choice on brand, Viewsonics ROCK !!
Bottom line : I am a price\performance guy. This is especially importaint when considering Xmas is almost here!
Well, I guess thats all I have to say, happy shopping!

G

sounds like you are going high dollar there.
First off, the graphics card, I have had a VERY good experience with my Asus V7700 32 meg. Benchmarks show very little performance increase in going 64, you might want to compare price performance there. Also generally the Asus vid cards are performing better than Creative's. Second, waiting for DDR would really be reccomended, the price shouldn't be affected too much. The A7V is a spectacular board, you should be quite happy with it. One reccomendation though. www.step-thermodynamics.com
look at them for your components, their memory is truly primo. My system is running a duron with one of their HS's, and 256megs of their PC150 mem No problems thus far.
only down side is the wait for the stuff to get to you, 3 weeks about for them to mold the heat sink to the processor and by that time new processors typically have come out.
Overall they are a great company though, check them out and give them some thought before buying mobo, vid, proc, memory, or heatsink.

-Infornography
life as we know it is absurd

G

Why do you want the Platinum sound card? Are you a musician? Have any plans of hooking MIDI instruments into your computer? If you are going to do these things then obviously never mind this post. If not, might as well just go with the X-gamer.

G

why do you even care about minor details like the mouse and keyboard. he likes the ones he picked out obviously. I like it but 199$ is kinda high for the A7V, i got mine fore 115$. I have the sb platinum card and it is extremely nice but i had lots of problems assigning different IRQ's to it. I'm on an intel 440BX ASUS P3B-F board right now and it is alot like the A7V as far as performance and setting up the bios and everything. I dont know you might not have probs but if you do try using the second slot it seems to like that one the best :) oh well im rambling, nice machine though have fun with it

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
a little piece of advice, get more ram, 256 is not enough for a 1.2ghz box, 192 isn't enough for a 550, anyway try go up to 512, youd see a large improvement, unless you're prepared to wait for ddr, another thing, monitor is nice, but a 17" flatscreen would be a lot nicer as was previously mentioned, if you go for 19" try get 1 that can handle higher resolutions, 1600 x 1200 just wont be enough soon enough, a cd writer wouldnt be such a bad idea either, if youre into that sort of thing