Can not connect to the Zone server

Since May 19th 2005 (or maybe a few days earlier) I can no longer connect to
the Zone server.

As the games - I have tried Backgammon and Chess - seem to up and running,
could it be a regional problem? I am in Sweden.

I have the same problem on two computers, one WinXP Pro and one Win2000, and
with different logon identities. I have not recently changed any of my
router settings or installed new software.

I can see the lists of game rooms, Backgammon (classic) and Chess, but when
I click one of the rooms i sometimes get an alert saying "A connection to
the game server could not be established. Unspecified error.". Sometimes the
game window (black) just freezes.

Also, the Zone friends window says "Logging on..." forever.

Also, when I try to enter the chat at
http://classic.zone.msn.com/zzzz/sysophelpmain.asp the small splash screen
"Connecting to Zone server" is displayed and nothing more happens. Once I
got an alert saying "Failed to establish connection with Zone server".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Zone software, deleted cookies and
Temporary Internet Files, but no change.

I *can* play the new Backgammon version, but I want the classic one.

As I said, could this be a regional/geographic issue? Or a problem with the
ISP? Ideas anyone?

Anders Silven
Sweden
13 answers Last reply
More about connect zone server
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Anders Silven wrote:
    > Since May 19th 2005 (or maybe a few days earlier) I can no longer
    > connect to the Zone server.
    >
    > As the games - I have tried Backgammon and Chess - seem to up and
    > running, could it be a regional problem? I am in Sweden.
    >
    > I have the same problem on two computers, one WinXP Pro and one Win2000,
    > and with different logon identities. I have not recently changed any of
    > my router settings or installed new software.
    >
    > I can see the lists of game rooms, Backgammon (classic) and Chess, but
    > when I click one of the rooms i sometimes get an alert saying "A
    > connection to the game server could not be established. Unspecified
    > error.". Sometimes the game window (black) just freezes.
    >
    > Also, the Zone friends window says "Logging on..." forever.
    >
    > Also, when I try to enter the chat at
    > http://classic.zone.msn.com/zzzz/sysophelpmain.asp the small splash
    > screen "Connecting to Zone server" is displayed and nothing more
    > happens. Once I got an alert saying "Failed to establish connection with
    > Zone server".
    >
    > I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Zone software, deleted cookies
    > and Temporary Internet Files, but no change.
    >
    > I *can* play the new Backgammon version, but I want the classic one.
    >
    > As I said, could this be a regional/geographic issue? Or a problem with
    > the ISP? Ideas anyone?
    >
    > Anders Silven
    > Sweden

    Have you tried the NibblesNbits site?

    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/index.html

    --
    +Elmo_Tech
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Thank you +Elmo_Tech for your quick reply

    > Have you tried the NibblesNbits site?

    Yes, I have been there but none of the tips make any difference -
    reinstalling, fixing the registry and so on.

    With two computers and two identities showing the same problem at the same
    time, I don't think it's a local problem.

    What's new since I got this problem is that the new version of Backgammon
    has been introduced.

    Please let me know if you hear from someone else with a similar problem.

    Best regards,
    Anders Silven
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Anders Silven wrote:
    > Thank you +Elmo_Tech for your quick reply
    >
    >> Have you tried the NibblesNbits site?
    >

    > Yes, I have been there but none of the tips make any difference -
    > reinstalling, fixing the registry and so on.
    >
    > With two computers and two identities showing the same problem at the
    > same time, I don't think it's a local problem.
    >
    > What's new since I got this problem is that the new version of
    > Backgammon has been introduced.
    >
    > Please let me know if you hear from someone else with a similar problem.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Anders Silven

    Normally, Zone.zat and the files in the ZSetup folder are updated. As
    far as I can tell, those were the only ones updated this time. If your
    isp caches the Zone files, you usually get an error message about the
    outdated files, so I doubt that's the problem.

    Occasionally, the Zone will change servers around and this causes the
    ports, and/or ip addresses to change for particular rooms. This could
    present a problem if a web accelerator, dns or document cache stores the
    old addresses, thus preventing access to the new addresses. Sometimes,
    but not always, the addresses are written to the hosts file (no
    extension). You would have to have the same software on both machines
    for this to be the cause..

    It's also possible your isp has cached these addresses. You could call
    your isp and see if they can access the rooms; that might help them
    realize a problem on their side, that they might not have otherwise
    considered.

    Page cannot be displayed
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241344

    Cannot log on to Web-based games after installing Norton Internet
    Security or Norton Personal Firewall
    http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001121211273436

    Zone: "Cannot Launch Game. A Web Error Is Preventing the Game from
    Opening" Error Message When You Try to Play a Game
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320460

    --
    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

    If you havent found a resolution yet try installing admuncher from
    www.admucher.com . I couldnt get room pages to load past the ads
    and it corrected tht problem.

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 01:06:42 +0200, "Anders Silven"
    <anders.silven@blahahotmail.se> wrote:

    >Since May 19th 2005 (or maybe a few days earlier) I can no longer connect to
    >the Zone server.
    >
    >As the games - I have tried Backgammon and Chess - seem to up and running,
    >could it be a regional problem? I am in Sweden.
    >
    >I have the same problem on two computers, one WinXP Pro and one Win2000, and
    >with different logon identities. I have not recently changed any of my
    >router settings or installed new software.

    -- Keyboard not detected
    Press F1 to continue
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Thanks again for your answer +Elmo_Tech

    I will try to get my ISP to look into this, although I doubt they will at
    this stage.
    I will also ask some friends here in Sweden to try the Zone and see if they
    have any problems. It will take a few days though.

    However, the two Microsoft links you included in your reply illustrate an
    annoying behavior of the Microsoft Web, which may be a clue in this issue.

    The first link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241344 displays a Swedish
    translation of KB241344.
    The second link
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320460 displays
    KB320460 in English, but in Swedish frames.

    Also, if I for example go to www.microsoft.com I get to the US MS Home Page,
    but when I click 'Support' there, I get to the Swedish support page.
    Arrgghh..

    Behind the scenes, MS is trying to be helpful(?) and directs me to Swedish
    pages I haven't asked for all the time. This is giving me a hard time
    sometimes.

    A bit off topic perhaps, but maybe a lead. What if the Zone server, or
    something in between, kicks me away to a non-existing Swedish location?
    Too early to tell I know, I have to find out if other people here have the
    same problem.

    As to the Symantec link, I don't have any software from Symantec installed,
    and I don't think the MS articles apply since I haven't changed anything -
    hardware or software - on any of the machines, just using one of them daily.

    Thank you again for your support

    Best regards,
    Anders Silven
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Anders Silven wrote:
    > Thanks again for your answer +Elmo_Tech
    >
    > I will try to get my ISP to look into this, although I doubt they will
    > at this stage.
    > I will also ask some friends here in Sweden to try the Zone and see if
    > they have any problems. It will take a few days though.
    >
    > However, the two Microsoft links you included in your reply illustrate
    > an annoying behavior of the Microsoft Web, which may be a clue in this
    > issue.
    >
    > The first link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241344 displays a
    > Swedish translation of KB241344.
    > The second link
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320460 displays
    > KB320460 in English, but in Swedish frames.
    >
    > Also, if I for example go to www.microsoft.com I get to the US MS Home
    > Page, but when I click 'Support' there, I get to the Swedish support
    > page. Arrgghh..
    >
    > Behind the scenes, MS is trying to be helpful(?) and directs me to
    > Swedish pages I haven't asked for all the time. This is giving me a hard
    > time sometimes.
    >
    > A bit off topic perhaps, but maybe a lead. What if the Zone server, or
    > something in between, kicks me away to a non-existing Swedish location?
    > Too early to tell I know, I have to find out if other people here have
    > the same problem.
    >
    > As to the Symantec link, I don't have any software from Symantec
    > installed, and I don't think the MS articles apply since I haven't
    > changed anything - hardware or software - on any of the machines, just
    > using one of them daily.
    >
    > Thank you again for your support
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Anders Silven

    Well, for the strangest of reasons, http://www.admuncher.com/ seems to
    be helping with some problems. You might try it.. I think some flash
    ads are having trouble loading on some machines; then there's a timeout.

    --
    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Hi again, here is a follow up/update.

    My problem remains. Now I know a little more, but I'm not the wiser.

    The problem occurs when the Zone Friends window opens. First nothing
    happens, then after a couple of minutes "Logging on" is displayed. Then
    nothing more happens exept in rare cases when I have actually been logged in
    and been able to open a Backgammon room. It has not been possible to play
    though, the communication with the game has been too slow. The Zone Friends
    window behaves the same if I go to
    http://classic.zone.msn.com/zzzz/sysophelpmain.asp and then "Sign In".

    I have one Win2000 and one XP box behind a D-Link DI-804 router on a DSL
    connection. The router has more or less default settings and no ports opened
    or redirected. The XP machine has the Windows Firewall activated as well,
    and I have never even opened its settings.

    This setup has worked perfectly in the past and I have not made any changes
    to the router or the computers. I have even played Zone Backgammon between
    the two computers (under different identities). Then one day from the other
    I have the same problem on both machines.

    If I disconnect the router and connect the XP box (still with the Windows
    Firewall enabled and untouched) directly to the DSL modem everything works
    OK. Also, if i put the XP in the DMZ of the router it works fine.

    So, obviously the router is part of the problem but is it only that, I have
    not changed anything? Or is an obscure collision of small changes by me, my
    ISP or at the Zone. I'm about to give up this although I will miss the
    Backgammon games.

    Thank you for your support.

    Best regards
    Anders Silven
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Looking at yr symptoms and not being able to question you further about
    them.. at this point my initial suggestion would be a removal and
    re-installation of a very possibly corrupt Zone Heartbeat ActiveX Control..
    Detailed instructions for this can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q225041
    Please pay particular attention to the section concerning conflict folders,
    because if these folders are present and are not removed, the software can
    be caught in a loop to where Heartbeat cannot be installed correctly, even
    after you just removed the Heartbeat ActiveX Control from View Objects.

    Once successfully done, returning to the zone game rooms will force a
    re-installation of the file..
    Good Luck..

    "Anders Silven" <anders_silven@blahahotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi again, here is a follow up/update.
    >
    > My problem remains. Now I know a little more, but I'm not the wiser.
    >
    > The problem occurs when the Zone Friends window opens. First nothing
    > happens, then after a couple of minutes "Logging on" is displayed. Then
    > nothing more happens exept in rare cases when I have actually been logged
    > in and been able to open a Backgammon room. It has not been possible to
    > play though, the communication with the game has been too slow. The Zone
    > Friends window behaves the same if I go to
    > http://classic.zone.msn.com/zzzz/sysophelpmain.asp and then "Sign In".
    >
    > I have one Win2000 and one XP box behind a D-Link DI-804 router on a DSL
    > connection. The router has more or less default settings and no ports
    > opened or redirected. The XP machine has the Windows Firewall activated as
    > well, and I have never even opened its settings.
    >
    > This setup has worked perfectly in the past and I have not made any
    > changes to the router or the computers. I have even played Zone Backgammon
    > between the two computers (under different identities). Then one day from
    > the other I have the same problem on both machines.
    >
    > If I disconnect the router and connect the XP box (still with the Windows
    > Firewall enabled and untouched) directly to the DSL modem everything works
    > OK. Also, if i put the XP in the DMZ of the router it works fine.
    >
    > So, obviously the router is part of the problem but is it only that, I
    > have not changed anything? Or is an obscure collision of small changes by
    > me, my ISP or at the Zone. I'm about to give up this although I will miss
    > the Backgammon games.
    >
    > Thank you for your support.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Anders Silven
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Thank you for your quick reply +_ReverendJJ

    I will look into what you suggest tomorrow, but since everything is OK if I
    bypass the router, and both computers dived at the same time, I think the
    problem is with the router.

    Best regards
    Anders Silven

    "+_ReverendJJ" <zm@when_im_online> wrote in message
    > Looking at yr symptoms and not being able to question you further about
    > them.. at this point my initial suggestion would be a removal and
    > re-installation of a very possibly corrupt Zone Heartbeat ActiveX
    > Control.. Detailed instructions for this can be found here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q225041
    > Please pay particular attention to the section concerning conflict
    > folders, because if these folders are present and are not removed, the
    > software can be caught in a loop to where Heartbeat cannot be installed
    > correctly, even after you just removed the Heartbeat ActiveX Control from
    > View Objects.
    >
    > Once successfully done, returning to the zone game rooms will force a
    > re-installation of the file..
    > Good Luck..
    >

    > "Anders Silven" <anders_silven@blahahotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi again, here is a follow up/update.
    >>
    >> My problem remains. Now I know a little more, but I'm not the wiser.
    >>
    >> The problem occurs when the Zone Friends window opens. First nothing
    >> happens, then after a couple of minutes "Logging on" is displayed. Then
    >> nothing more happens exept in rare cases when I have actually been logged
    >> in and been able to open a Backgammon room. It has not been possible to
    >> play though, the communication with the game has been too slow. The Zone
    >> Friends window behaves the same if I go to
    >> http://classic.zone.msn.com/zzzz/sysophelpmain.asp and then "Sign In".
    >>
    >> I have one Win2000 and one XP box behind a D-Link DI-804 router on a DSL
    >> connection. The router has more or less default settings and no ports
    >> opened or redirected. The XP machine has the Windows Firewall activated
    >> as well, and I have never even opened its settings.
    >>
    >> This setup has worked perfectly in the past and I have not made any
    >> changes to the router or the computers. I have even played Zone
    >> Backgammon between the two computers (under different identities). Then
    >> one day from the other I have the same problem on both machines.
    >>
    >> If I disconnect the router and connect the XP box (still with the Windows
    >> Firewall enabled and untouched) directly to the DSL modem everything
    >> works OK. Also, if i put the XP in the DMZ of the router it works fine.
    >>
    >> So, obviously the router is part of the problem but is it only that, I
    >> have not changed anything? Or is an obscure collision of small changes by
    >> me, my ISP or at the Zone. I'm about to give up this although I will miss
    >> the Backgammon games.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your support.
    >>
    >> Best regards
    >> Anders Silven

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Im sorry, I missed reading the part where you said the problem disappears
    when the routers disconnected..
    Have you forwarded any ports on the router?
    Here's whats required by the Zone in that respect:

    Port:
    80 (to access MSN games website and puzzle, word, trivia and other free web
    games)

    443 (to use .NET Passport sign-in option)

    6667 (to use chat, necessary for all multiplayer games)

    and the one it sounds like you could be missing:

    28800-29100 (to access card, board, “CD-ROM” required, and other multiplayer
    games)

    Again.. my appologies for the confusion

> [...]
    >>> opened or redirected. The XP machine has the Windows Firewall activated
    >>> as well, and I have never even opened its settings.
    >>>
    >>> This setup has worked perfectly in the past and I have not made any
    >>> changes to the router or the computers. I have even played Zone
    >>> Backgammon between the two computers (under different identities). Then
    >>> one day from the other I have the same problem on both machines.
    >>>
    >>> If I disconnect the router and connect the XP box (still with the
    >>> Windows Firewall enabled and untouched) directly to the DSL modem
    >>> everything works OK. Also, if i put the XP in the DMZ of the router it
    >>> works fine.
    >>>
    >>> So, obviously the router is part of the problem but is it only that, I
    >>> have not changed anything? Or is an obscure collision of small changes
    >>> by me, my ISP or at the Zone. I'm about to give up this although I will

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Hi again,

    > Have you forwarded any ports on the router?

    No, and that is what puzzles me.
    As you say and from what I have read it is nescessary to open certain ports
    in the router, still everything has worked just fine in the past on two
    computers behind the router, without any ports opened or redirected.

    Also, I haven't touched the XP Firewall, yet the Zone works if I bypass the
    router. I checked the XP Firewall and only MSN Messenger and Windows
    Messenger are checked as Exeptions.

    I have experimented with Open Ports but it makes no difference. Also, on the
    DI-804 router, for each port opened, a specific (internal) IP adress must be
    entered, which makes the setup hard to maintain with DHCP enabled.

    Still confused,

    > Im sorry, I missed reading the part where you said the problem disappears
    > when the routers disconnected..
    > Have you forwarded any ports on the router?
    > Here's whats required by the Zone in that respect:
    >
    > Port:
    > 80 (to access MSN games website and puzzle, word, trivia and other free
    > web games)
    >
    > 443 (to use .NET Passport sign-in option)
    >
    > 6667 (to use chat, necessary for all multiplayer games)
    >
    > and the one it sounds like you could be missing:
    >
    > 28800-29100 (to access card, board, “CD-ROM” required, and other
    > multiplayer games)
    >
    > Again.. my appologies for the confusion
    >

    > "Anders Silven" <anders_silven@blahahotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you for your quick reply +_ReverendJJ
    >>
    >> I will look into what you suggest tomorrow, but since everything is OK if
    >> I bypass the router, and both computers dived at the same time, I think
    >> the problem is with the router.
    >>
    >> Best regards
    >> Anders Silven
    >>
    >> "+_ReverendJJ" <zm@when_im_online> wrote in message
    >>> Looking at yr symptoms and not being able to question you further about
    >>> them.. at this point my initial suggestion would be a removal and
    >>> re-installation of a very possibly corrupt Zone Heartbeat ActiveX
    >>> Control.. Detailed instructions for this can be found here:
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q225041
    >>> Please pay particular attention to the section concerning conflict
    >>> folders, because if these folders are present and are not removed, the
    >>> software can be caught in a loop to where Heartbeat cannot be installed
    >>> correctly, even after you just removed the Heartbeat ActiveX Control
    >>> from View Objects.
    >>>
    >>> Once successfully done, returning to the zone game rooms will force a
    >>> re-installation of the file..
    >>> Good Luck..
    >>>

    >>> "Anders Silven" <anders_silven@blahahotmail.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static
    ip address.. To accomplish this and the forwarding process for zone.com I
    have posted a few help pages for you.. Hope they help

    Setting up a Static IP Address with the Dlink DI-804:
    http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-804-dhcp.htm

    How do I open ports on my DI804 router for MSN Games:
    http://zonesysops.com/modules.php?name=Routers&file=711_714_804

    you may also find this page of use
    http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-804.htm

    > Hi again,
    >
    >> Have you forwarded any ports on the router?
    >
    > No, and that is what puzzles me.
    > As you say and from what I have read it is nescessary to open certain
    > ports in the router, still everything has worked just fine in the past on
    > two computers behind the router, without any ports opened or redirected.
    >
    > Also, I haven't touched the XP Firewall, yet the Zone works if I bypass
    > the router. I checked the XP Firewall and only MSN Messenger and Windows
    > Messenger are checked as Exeptions.
    >
    > I have experimented with Open Ports but it makes no difference. Also, on
    > the DI-804 router, for each port opened, a specific (internal) IP adress
    > must be entered, which makes the setup hard to maintain with DHCP enabled.
    >
    > Still confused,
    > Anders Silven
    >
    > "+_ReverendJJ" <zm@when_im_online> wrote in message
    >> Im sorry, I missed reading the part where you said the problem
    >> disappears when the routers disconnected..
    >> Have you forwarded any ports on the router?
    >> Here's whats required by the Zone in that respect:
    >>
    >> Port:
    >> 80 (to access MSN games website and puzzle, word, trivia and other free
    >> web games)
    >>
    >> 443 (to use .NET Passport sign-in option)
    >>
    >> 6667 (to use chat, necessary for all multiplayer games)
    >>
    >> and the one it sounds like you could be missing:
    >>
    >> 28800-29100 (to access card, board, “CD-ROM” required, and other
    >> multiplayer games)
    >>
    >> Again.. my appologies for the confusion
    >>

    >> "Anders Silven" <anders_silven@blahahotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thank you for your quick reply +_ReverendJJ
    >>>
    >>> I will look into what you suggest tomorrow, but since everything is OK
    >>> if I bypass the router, and both computers dived at the same time, I
    >>> think the problem is with the router.
    >>>
    >>> Best regards
    >>> Anders Silven
    >>>
    >>> "+_ReverendJJ" <zm@when_im_online> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    For the record...

    Whatever the problem was, it's gone. At least for now.

    Both computers now work just fine with Zone friends and Classic Backgammon.
    I haven't made any changes to my router etc, and one of the computers hasn't
    been used at all for over a week, so it seems the problem was elsewhere.

    Logged on last night just to test and voila! Was beaten three times in a row
    in Classic Backgammon by a nice lady from Oregon:) The application is rock
    steady, just as it used to be.

    Thank you all for your support,
    Anders Silven

Connection Games Servers Video Games