I got hacked

Larliand

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Hello, guys I did open an msdos file on my PC which I downloaded and I just didn't do anything about it. Yesterday a guy started typing stuff in my chat windows while I was chatting with friends, and then he oppened a chat windows on my PC and said he's got all the passwords and so on. What's a sure way to remove him from my PC? I don't feel safe doing anything on my PC at all now. Althought I've reinstalled windows.

Larliand

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
It's been in my PC for like 3 weeks, I've reintalled windows but my C: didn't get deleted tho, so now I'm gonna do a clean install...Also I did scan it with malware and it founds logs of my passwords etc, I cleaned it all up. I also used spybot to clean it. So it should be safe if I wipe all the stuff I've had right? Along with fresh windows install

Larliand

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I did immediately on my laptop, it's all secure now. I just wanna be sure he's out of the PC. When I type netstat -a, there way too many connections even though the windows is reinstalled....

Remove your internet connection, THEN do the re-install(do a reformat, not just the quick one). do you have more than one HDD? if so, you might have to re-format them all to get rid of the hack. :cry:

Larliand

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
It's just one and 2 partitioes, althought I'm having trouble doing a clean reinstall of windows, I made a bootable USB (I reformated it in fat 32 format) I've placed windows there but it just doesn't seem to boot from it all...I've gotta try something else.

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue.

There are several options found there that allow you to do a low-level format on the drive. Try that and then try it again.

You said you're installing Windows from a USB drive. Are you using a .ISO file as your installation source (assuming here).

Take a look HERE if you happen to get stuck.

You biggest problem is that you use programs like "spybot."
You loaded "free" security from the internet, and you are sure to get infected.
No matter what anybody tells you, don't use free security, from the internet. You are rolling out the red carpet, to hackers.
Use only an all in one, professional security systems, not multiple mismatched programs, from the internet.

And now that you have installed stuff, like "spybot," the only way to get rid of it is to wipe the disk and start over.
(these types of scam programs do not erase)

You need NOTHING to make windows run correctly, JUST WINDOWS.
Free utilities, from the internet, that claim to "fix, clean speed up" your computer are a SCAM.
When you finally learn this, and stop downloading that junk, your computer will finally run RIGHT.

Live and learn, I guess.

If you are reading this with free security installed on your system, some guy in Beijing is reading it TOO!
AND he knows all your bank account numbers, and passwords.
You can thank "FREE" internet security downloads for that.

You should install Panda, Norton, Kaspersky, or other professional security, RIGHT NOW. remember I told you so, when you are suffering later.
I told you so...

Larliand

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Yeah you're right. So now after formatting whole hdd along with fresh OS install I'm safe right?

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Getting him out of the PC is easy: Format all drives whilst disconnected from internet and reinstall windows.

The part I'm worried about is the information that he already has, passwords and login details for your online services (ie. Email, Facebook, anything you've logged onto and saved the password or logon cookie on this specific machine. THOSE are the passwords you have to change. :sweat:

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

We don't know what security software he was using when he got hacked since he made no mention of it, so just by him running Spybot Search & Destroy(A legit spyware removal tool that I've used in the past) to scan for issues does not automatically mean he was using some free antivirus software, He could have been using Norton or Mcafee or any other paid program or None at all.

I personally use Avast! Internet Security, and prior to using it I was using the free version of Avast Antivirus. You know how many infections(actual infections) I've had in the 5 years while using the free version? Zero. Also zero using the paid version. And I visited a lot of dodgy sites(read: Adult sites) during that period. It was nice seeing a big red pop up from Avast blocking malicious software from a few of those sites that were malicious.

As I said earlier Spybot S&D is a legitimate program, like MalwareBytes, which is also free to use for removal of malware(so it must be crap too right?) Both are easily uninstalled. Hijack This another very useful free tool must also be crap right?

Hey I've got nothing against paid programs, I used Trend Micro a long time ago, before they started sucking, Bit Defender, Eset NOD32, Kaspersky AV and KIS. And honestly the only one I'd use now is NOD32. But I have my current one that works perfectly fine.

The best way to keep from getting infected is to use a reputable A/V whether free or paid, hardware (router with SPI) and software firewall and keeping windows up to date. Also don't go downloading every free program you see on the internet, don't fall for popups telling you you're infected, keep your browser up to date as well. Always read the prompts when installing software, alot of malware/undesired-ware is installed when you just click through the install process without reading it.

If I ever run into something that I'm unsure of its trustworthiness I use the sandbox feature in my A/V to run it.

rdc85

Honorable
Yeah, Clean Install after format is fine (and change the password)...

unless someone hold grude and specifically targeting u, just be safe when choosing apps/programs to use (installed)...
some freeware are good, no need to afraid of them but be selective.....

U can also tightent the firewall so only program u know that allowed to acess the net.. (block all unknown incoming/outcoming trafic)

braxx002

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
hello i got hacked to. i was in minecraft and someone told me about this force op thing and i downloaded it and it ruined mycomputer. first: 5 mins laters i couldnt connect to minecraft THEN the power went off and the people who made is it a
japan company and i look at a video for it and everyone said: U RUINED MY MINECRAFT, VIRUS!!!, DON'T INSTALL, and
stuff like that. so PLZ help me get my minecraft back, minecraft is my soul. :( oh and my mods backfired on me and gave
me a black screen :/ so PLZZZZZZZ help me