Dell U2312HM too bright for a dark room?

beni1989

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hi.im planning to buy a Dell U2312HM after i read its review on TFT Central.everything looks fine exept the minimum brightness.according to TFT Central it have a minimum luminance of 114 cd/m² whitch can be a problem because im planning to use it in a very dark room.im using a Samsung SyncMaster 2494hs at 30% brightness in a dark room and my eyes can tolerate that.i dont know how to measure its luminance when im using it at 30% brightness so i dont know if dells 114cd/m² will hurt my eyes or not.what is the recommended luminance for a dark environment?80cd/m²?does 114cd/m² will cause eye strain on me?

No way to know what will bother your eyes, we don't know exactly how you will see things or what will cause issues for you.

I work in radiology reading rooms that are dark all the time, and we use the same class of monitors as the DELL, none of the doctors have complained at default brightness. We use LG and Planar monitors though not Dells.

If you want to measure the monitor need to get a "puck" or a non-contact meeter, which are pretty pricy. Our "cheap" model I use for calibrations was $500.

Yeah, it is difficult to judge what is too bright or adequate for another person because people have different sensitivity level. I will assume the doctors that hang-the-9 have average brightness sensitivity for humans. If you think your own brightness sensitivity is average, then the Dell will probably not bother you.

If illumination is a real concern then you should consider the Dell 2412M which can go down to 46 cd/m². If you are working with a tight budget then you need to consider the following:

1. Simply buy the Dell 2312HM and be done with it. If the illumination to too high then either just deal with it, or ship it back for a refund less a 15% restocking fee and the cost to ship it back.

2. Step up to the Dell 2412M, you will be paying more, but you have the satisfaction of knowing that you will not be straining your eyes and / or you will not be getting headaches.

I hope you are referring to Planar's consumer level monitors and not the medical class high precision monitors, otherwise you more or less devastated Planar's reputation of producing high quality monitors for the medical field for X-rays, CAT scan and MRIs amongst others.

The Planar PX2611w was probably their last truly great consumer level monitor. I'm glad I own one. I love H-IPS monitors.

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
My eyes are sensetive and I can have problems with watching TV in a dark room. Have solved this by placing 3 small tabel lamps on each side and in front of (below) the screen. Have also 3 tabel lamps behind my PC monitor to make the brightness down from both the monitor and the windows thats flooding daylight into my eyes (the brightness feels less strain for my eyes to handle). To the TV I use blue glass lamp holders so it shines blue-white (the TV screen is showing mainly blue light, you can notice that by watching a neibur looking at TV at night). Just a tip :)