Sign in with
Your question

Install Windows 7 upgrade on new hardrive without deactivating windows

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 12:35:58 PM

Hello all,

I would like to install my Windows 7 upgrade on a new hard drive in my machine without first deactivating or uninstalling it on my current hard drive. I'd then like the new hard drive to be my primary, and I would like to slowly migrate programs and data over from my current hard drive (i.e. itunes music, "my documents" files). Does anyone have suggestions on a good tutorial to accomplish this?

Thank you for any help and happy new year!

Best,
Matt
December 29, 2012 12:52:38 PM

Could I simply remove my old hard drive, then install win7, reattach the hard drive, change my boot order, then reactivate Windows 7 by phone?
m
l
December 29, 2012 1:07:31 PM

Im pretty sure OEM Windows 7 is tied to the motherboard not harddrive. So you should be able to install a new hdd without all of that. Correct me if im wrong on this though someone?
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 1:12:03 PM

I think I understand OEM means that the software came installed on the computer, correct? I had purchased my upgrade Windows 7 (several years ago now), would this still make it OEM? It has actually been moved to a new mother board on this Hard Drive from an Acer Machine that I junked. Thanks!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 1:20:07 PM

I may be wrong - but I think you can...
Add your new hard drive
"upgrade" your windows.. and select your new hard drive... and clean install...
It will disable your current windows.. and the new one will be the live version
None of your old programs will work... but will still be in place on the old driive
You can then reinstall/move over stuff as you like

HTH

P.S. You should always have a backup... just in case...

m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 1:21:39 PM

Im pretty sure OEM Windows 7 is tied to the motherboard not harddrive. < Correct

If it is a windows 7 upgrade and not an acer oem it can be used again,but only on 1 computer at a time.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 1:28:25 PM

lookup sysprep for an easy transfer between hardware sets.

the licensing issues above will still apply however.

you could create a virtual machine of your current state using a physical to virtual conversion process so that you can still have access without the physical machine existing any more.
m
l
December 29, 2012 1:51:54 PM

Very helpful, thank you everyone. Does anyone see a problem with my plan of removing my old hard drive, then install win7, reattach the hard drive, change my boot order, then reactivate Windows 7?

Would it be a pain to uninstall win7 from the old disk?

Yoji's suggestion sounds great maybe even easier.

I'm going for a clean install of windows7.
m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 1:54:36 PM

I'm going for a clean install of windows7. < Your best option to make sure all is well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 2:10:34 PM

maschuld said:
Could I simply remove my old hard drive, then install win7, reattach the hard drive, change my boot order, then reactivate Windows 7 by phone?

Yes, you can do what you want.

Upgrade is a variant of retail.
It is a moot point since either oem or retail or upgrade can be reinstalled using the same motherboard and activation code.

One catch to upgrade is that it will look for a previous version of windows, and finding none will not activate.
There are several legitimate ways around this, and they are discussed in this article:
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install...

I suggest you first use windows easy transfer to export any files and settings to someplace.
Then disconnect your old hard drive.

Then use the double install method to do a clean install of windows 7.
I suggest that this would be an excellent time to install your new windows on a SSD. You will not regret it.

After activation, you can reattach your old hard drive, and you will have full access to all of it's files.
You can use windows easy transfer to reimport your original settings and files either all, or in part.

Any apps will need to be reinstalled.
m
l
!