Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive mirrored by desktop

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 1:10:04 PM

Hi guys, I have a bit of an issue with my 1tb hard drives, which are in raid 1. I recently built a computer w/ 2 SSDs and two HDDs and for some reason, whatever files I put on my hard drives in raid 1 are mirrored by my desktop. If I delete a file on the desktop, it will be removed from the hard drive. Any way to fix this? Sorry if this is a nooby question and thanks in advance .
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 1:51:34 PM

You may have changed the path to "My documents" to the root of your hdd raid. The standard path is users/<your name> on the c drive, but it seams to be d:\ now. Right click on the "My documents" library and check the path.
December 29, 2012 2:22:58 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. I checked the path and it was assigned to c:\. I tried reformatting the drives and the issue didn't resolve itself. Whenever I opened drive x:\ (raid 1), it would direct me towards the desktop. I'm open to doing another fresh install of win7 if it has to come to that :/ 
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 2:26:41 PM

Where is your installation currently residing? In the RAID 1 array (which is mirroring) or on one of the two SSDs?
December 29, 2012 2:34:37 PM

My installation is currently residing on my 128 gb samsung 840 pro, whilst the other 256 gb samsung 830 is for games and whatnot. The purpose of the raid 1 array was to keep the c:\ drive from becoming full. I moved some of the user files to the raid 1 array, such as Downloads. I don't know if this is the problem, maybe so because I didn't use a junction.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 2:37:26 PM

The array could have possibly became confused. What it set prior to installation and then Windows installed with it still plugged in.

I've seen this one instance before and the only true fix was to take the other drives out of the equation (by unplugging them of course), Install Windows to the single SSD, finish up, then either plug the other drives back in and chance it or create the array again from the ground up.

EDIT: Forgot the word array....stupid keyboard
December 29, 2012 2:41:02 PM

The thing is that I did in fact have only my 128gb ssd plugged in when I first booted. It was only after I did a fresh installation that I plugged in the other three. I'm really wondering why this has occurred :p 
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 2:42:58 PM

Are you using the Intel based controller software to manage the RAID array?

It may have become corrupted or have the incorrect paths in it. Let me see if I can find something that might work...Give me a few.
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 2:47:20 PM

Couldn't really find anything solid. Make sure you're running the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology or even reinstall and recreate the array that way and see if it helps.
December 29, 2012 2:47:53 PM

I should note that this is a software-based array. I made it through disk management. I may have been an idiot and plugged them into the asmedia controller instead of the intel ones (rampage iv extreme). I will check to see if it is so :D 

Edit: Nope, they were plugged into the intel controller for sure :)  Thanks for all your help!
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 2:50:13 PM

You may be right. Software based arrays through disk management is extremely flaky (Windows imagine that) and the Intel array seems to be tons more stabler mainly because of the software controller that is used.
December 29, 2012 2:52:47 PM

I will do as you suggest: do a fresh install of win7 and try not to stick to windows' flaky software. Once again, thanks loads :) 

Thread closed.
December 29, 2012 2:52:48 PM

Best answer selected by slappytheclown.
!