In Search of stability with A7V

G

Here is my setup
Athlon Tbird 1GHz (not overclocked) temp runs at a solid 45C
256 MB PC 100
Asus A7V with latest bios.. 104
3D Cool Tornado 1000 with 300W PS
Guillemot Geforce SDR w/ latest (official not leaked) win2k detonator 3 refrence drivers
latest via 4 in 1 win2k drivers
Windows 2000 Pro with service pack 1 and all compatibility updates.
Microsofts pre service pack 2 agp fix for athlon mobo's

I am getting random locks in Opengl based games counter-strike, quake 3 and it is driving me nuts.. I have flashed and patched till I cant flash and patch no more.. I am running the chipset at normal as to force agp 2x and disabled fast writes to no avail.. is there anything else I can do?

TheDoc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am having similar problems. I just upgraded over the weekend, so I have not had much time to troubleshoot, update, or see how it is long-term. I had several lockups that occurred as I was installing software. Yesterday I wasn't pushing hard but it behaved itself.

My setup: A7V, Tbird 900, 2x64 MB PC100, AIW Radeon, SB Live Value, 250 W PS. HS/Fan is not anything incredible, but seems adequate, I get 49C to 52C.

I dual-boot WinMe and Win2K, had lockups in both OS's. Everytime it locked up, it was in a "transition": switching active programs, or even shutting down once.

I am somewhat suspecting of the memory. My PC100 is rather old, and that is also one common factor in our two systems. While the manual say PC100 is OK, it is not mentioned on the outside of the box at all. Maybe PC100 is no good in the A7V, or it just has to be the right kind?

BTW, WinMe doesn't shut all the way down. The lights on the case turn off, but the PS and fans keep going, and the monitor stays in "on" mode. Win2K shuts down normally. What's with that?

orion

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the same problem, There are several Known errors and bugs in SP1 for Win2k.
What you need to do is check the Event Viewer's System Log (under Adminstrative Tools), right after you experience a chrash. IF my guess is correct, you should see a note saying something about "Perfctrs.dll" or "NBT" error. Then it is an error with Win2k Preformance Counters.

All that needs to be done is reset the counter. Go to http://www.jsiinc.com/TIP2200/rh2277.htm
to get the info on how to reset. For more info in the error go to http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/7/60.asp

G

The last thing i know is the known issue of VIA's ID numbers. Download the newest 3 in 1 patch from the VIA website and run it.
Could be the not recognized AGP-PCI Bridge.

Grtz, Leywalker

G

memory perhaps, try swapping out with a dimm that you know works well with athlons.
the PC100 is what makes me wonder, means that it might not be high quality memory, and athlons are picky
Also, if you are doing manual settings for processor then you need to be careful, the voltage settings can be somewhat tricky to decipher. triple check that the jumpers are correct there if you are not using jumperless. Don't know how else to help you, definitely odd that it would only happen in open gl games... good luck

-Infornography
life as we know it is absurd

G

>BTW, WinMe doesn't shut all the way down. The lights on >the case turn off, but the PS and fans keep going, and the >monitor stays in "on" mode. Win2K shuts down normally. >What's with that?
Sounds like a WinME bug to me, a friend of mine had similar problems, only happened in ME, try switching to 98 se. The first edition of 98 had lots of unexplained bugs as well and wan't stable at all. se is considerably better, expect similar results with ME, the first run of every microsoft operating system is usually unstable, or overly bug ridden, subsequent releases reduce bugginess significantly. I reccomend never buying the first release of any microsoft OS, give it till the second version or later.
good luck

-Infornography
life as we know it is absurd

G

WINME SHUTDOWN

if you look at bios 1004d and 1004c it says that one of those latest bios fixes a shutdown prollem..

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also, I have heard of a shutdown bug with processors faster than 900MHz. Basically the processor shuts the computer down so quickly that the other components and the OS don't know what's going on and don't have time to shutdown properly.
I believe there is a fix for this on the Microsoft web site.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i could know absolutely nothing but a 250w p/s doesn't sound like that's quite enough juice for a 900mhz t-bird, aiw radeon, sb live!. that could cause instabilites, couldn't it?

if you were drawing too much power from everything at once?