Program to soft-reset a Tungsten T3?

January 17, 2005 11:47:25 PM

I frequently have to soft-reset my PalmOne Tungsten T3. I would like
a program that I could launch to do this for me.

I tried an old program called Victor, but it caused my T3 to lock up.
This is not the desired effect.

I keep my T3 in a Krusell case and I don't like taking it out just to
reach the little reset hole with my stylus.

Thanks for any suggestions!
--
David Arnstein
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness:
arnstein@panix.com (David Arnstein) wrote in
<csh88t$bo1$1@reader2.panix.com>:

> I frequently have to soft-reset my PalmOne Tungsten T3. I would like
> a program that I could launch to do this for me.
>
> I tried an old program called Victor, but it caused my T3 to lock up.
> This is not the desired effect.
>
> I keep my T3 in a Krusell case and I don't like taking it out just to
> reach the little reset hole with my stylus.

Most third party launchers like ZLauncher or Launcher X can soft reset
your Palm device.

--
Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net

Zombie Elvis wrote:
> It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
> and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness:
> arnstein@panix.com (David Arnstein) wrote in
> <csh88t$bo1$1@reader2.panix.com>:
>

>>I frequently have to soft-reset my PalmOne Tungsten T3. I would like
>>a program that I could launch to do this for me.
>>
>>I tried an old program called Victor, but it caused my T3 to lock up.
>>This is not the desired effect.
>>
>>I keep my T3 in a Krusell case and I don't like taking it out just to
>>reach the little reset hole with my stylus.
>>

> Most third party launchers like ZLauncher or Launcher X can soft reset
> your Palm device.
>
> --
> Roberto Castillo
> robertocastillo@ameritech.net
> http://www.freewebs.com/robertocastillo/

I use Beanup - free and cleans up saved and unsaved preferences. Works
fine on my Zire 71.

--
George Fragos
_______________

The best program to soft reset your Palm Pilot is a little program
called "PaperClip."

It's hard to find nowadays, but it's available here (just click on the
large Paper Clip 1.0 text to download):

http://muchy.com/review/paperclip.html

It's no nonsense . . . touch it and your Palm Pilot resets. Other
programs that can reset your device are ATool!
(http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/atool!.shtml or
http://tinyurl.com/3t3ac if you prefer the older version), LapTopHack
(http://www.paulcomputing.com), and "Soft Reset Program 1.0"
(http://www.dragiton.com/software/Detailed/2498.php) and there are
probably more. But all of them require you to first open the program
and then perform one or more additional operations to reset your Palm.
If you know what you're doing, what you really want is the PaperClip
application above.

I'll post my "review" of this little program from my Palm Pilot
software page here below:

http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/software.html
PaperClip is a very simple program-touch it, and your Palm Pilot
performs a soft-reset. If you don't know why you'd want such a program
you probably don't need it! :)  Although it might sound like a foolish
program, it is extremely useful in debugging Palm software, and simply
as a convenient way to reset the device to toggle the state of
Hackmaster (i.e. hacks enabled or disabled) or to remove problems
associated with memory leaks from buggy software or network connection
headaches.
January 18, 2005 5:31:19 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:47:25 +0000 (UTC), arnstein@panix.com (David
Arnstein) wrote:

>I keep my T3 in a Krusell case and I don't like taking it out just to
>reach the little reset hole with my stylus.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions!

I have a Vaja case, very good quality, I highly recommend them. The
Vaja case has a hole in it which lines up with the reset hole when the
T3 is extended. Maybe the best solution is to get out the ole leather
punch?

--
Erik
Anonymous

Are the soft resets due to the T3 crashing? If so, you can buy Crash or
Crash Pro. It seems to catch 95% of the crashes and it auto-reboots the
PDA. Plus, Crash Pro can log the error messages so you can then send
the messages to author of the program that crashed.

Hope this helps,
Steven

David Arnstein wrote:
> I frequently have to soft-reset my PalmOne Tungsten T3. I would like
> a program that I could launch to do this for me.
>
> I tried an old program called Victor, but it caused my T3 to lock up.
> This is not the desired effect.
>
> I keep my T3 in a Krusell case and I don't like taking it out just to
> reach the little reset hole with my stylus.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:09:29 PM

In article <41ee6c06$0$64582$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>,
Steven Whatley <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Are the soft resets due to the T3 crashing?

Actually, it's because my T3 clicks multiple times when I press a
button or tap an on-screen icon. As time goes by, the number of
clicks increases. Finally, each button-push produces a machine-gun
sound that lasts more than one second. Very annoying, and somewhat
time-consuming. The clicks vanish after a soft reset, but immediately
begin building up again.

I am really disappointed that PalmOne has not fixed this problem.
There are other obvious, long standing bugs in this product too. I
really think that PalmOne is going to die within a few years.
--
David Arnstein
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com