Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD and HDD. Target Files and where I want stuff to install

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 2:45:43 PM

Hey guys,

I recently installed an SSD and have my OS installed on it. However I want everything to be downloaded/installed onto my HDD instead of my SSD. Is there a way to try and set the default? I tried changing the target in regedit on windows but now everything I installed won't open via shortcut because of a target error. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 3:56:49 PM

hello... there is no default setting... when you install/load a new program you must manually type in a D:\ location before the install... not such a BIG DEAL... if you dont like the current C:\ location of already installed programs... un-install such programs and install them with the new D:\ location... and your Windows and programs will run just fine from either location... Don't try to change things with regedit !!! Windows works fine if ya let it!!!
m
l
December 29, 2012 4:08:41 PM

Couple questions. How do I set everything back to default? (things I changed in regedit). Also my HDD is F and SSD is C. Is what letter it is an issue? Lastly, some programs do not allow you to type in the location before the install. That's why I was confused. Any ideas?

Appreciate the help!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 5:24:16 PM

WELL... 1) load a recent "restore point" 2) un-type every thing you changed in regedit ( you did keep a accurate record of changes)? LOL... 3) right click all short cuts affected and change "properties" "Target" data... 4) reload Windows... Choose one or two of the above : )

You can right click your drives and change the letters any time... from F: to D: but you don't have too... just so you know what drive your installing your programs to... you do this after fresh install of windows... or when you add a new hardrive to your computer... before programs are loaded to that drive... so doing it now could be confusing to existing programs and windows...

I would like to know what programs will not let you choose a loading location? If its a operating system program/Driver I understand that... but never seen it with any of the programs I buy or use!!! Sometimes you have to chose "Custom" or "Expert" install!!! to get the option.

December 29, 2012 5:37:23 PM

Some games and Java did not allow. But I did do recommended instead of custom. I'll reset my things. Thanks.
m
l
December 29, 2012 5:37:44 PM

Best answer selected by nawit.
m
l
!