Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 wont load after power down during defrag

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 3:06:06 PM

Hello,
cai copy a windows 7 ios from another computer that i have ... i powered down my system during a defrag due to the computer freezing up for over an hour now windows 7 home premium wont boot not even to put in password
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 3:20:19 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? Mash the F8 button down just before the OS starts to load, then boot into Safe Mode when the boot options appear.

If you have a Windows 7 installation disk of the same version you have installed on your hard drive, you can boot with it and repair your system. If you can't get your hands on such a disk, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 5:24:31 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 6:47:15 PM

First off, you should never, ever power off a computer during a defragment as its using the actual heads in the drive. It may appear to have been locked up but depending on how fragmented the drive was, it isn't locked up just working.

Why were you trying to use it during a defrag anyway? When running a defrag, no touchie the computer.

As for fixing it, you can try to repair it, or you may have damage to the drive like Brett suggested.
January 1, 2014 6:37:31 PM

Your HDD might have gotten corrupted while moving a MFT file reference. If all else fails, repartition the HDD.
!