Sign in with
Your question

I can\'t burn CD\'s anymore. Could before. Windows media player, windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 3:15:42 PM

I have a Dell computer running windows 7. For some reason i cannot burn a CD anymore from my library. I used to be able to without any problem. I have run fixit and it say's my cd drive is OK. I can play CD both from my library and off cd's I load.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 3:30:24 PM

It may be time for a new DVD/CD drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 6:20:25 PM

Hi

does this apply to CD-r and DVD-r ?
if you can read cd's & dvd's and write dvd-r I would suspect hardware relating to CD laser

but if you can read CD's & DVD's but not write to CD-r and DVD-r I would suspect registry corruption or a policy set to deny writing

I presume you ran the Microsoft upper filter driver fixit without success.

Putting the questionable DVD drive into another PC will enable you to test if for hardware faults before replacing it.
Most modern DVD drives are SATA interface you could swap it with existing DVD drive or possible add as an additional DVD drive

The alternative test method would be to use a bootable WinPE3 or Linux usb memory stick to see if that operating system can burn CD's
(bypassing a possibly corrupt registry)

regards

Mike Barnes

m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2013 12:30:23 PM

Guy's. Thanks for all the reply's. I tried everything and then it came down to a really, really stupid mistake on my part. It's hard to admit but the only problem was my computer was not recognizing the CD-R BRAND. I had been using TDK's to burn my music and ran out of them. Bought some Sony and another brand without even thinking they would not be recognized by my computer. WRONG!!!!!! By accident found one TDK that I hadn't used and tried it. It worked!!!!!! So, all I can say is if anyone has this same problem check the compatibility of the CD-R. Thanks again for the suggestions.
m
l
February 28, 2013 4:10:49 PM

dancolclaser said:
Guy's. Thanks for all the reply's. I tried everything and then it came down to a really, really stupid mistake on my part. It's hard to admit but the only problem was my computer was not recognizing the CD-R BRAND. I had been using TDK's to burn my music and ran out of them. Bought some Sony and another brand without even thinking they would not be recognized by my computer. WRONG!!!!!! By accident found one TDK that I hadn't used and tried it. It worked!!!!!! So, all I can say is if anyone has this same problem check the compatibility of the CD-R. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dan: what exatly did you do to get your PC to recognize the brand of CD-R's you were using? Is there a path you can give me to enter the brand names, etc... and why wouldn't a DELL PC with Windows 7 just rexcognize ALL brands of valid CD-R blank disks??? an you make your resolution more clear? What exactly did you do to be able to use another CD brand??? I have the exact same problem and am ready to throw the PC out the window!!!
Thanks, Howard Mayrant My email is: howardmayrant@cox.net
m
l
July 6, 2014 8:54:08 PM

dancolclaser said:
I have a Dell computer running windows 7. For some reason i cannot burn a CD anymore from my library. I used to be able to without any problem. I have run fixit and it say's my cd drive is OK. I can play CD both from my library and off cd's I load.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

m
l
July 6, 2014 8:55:37 PM

I think a Windows 7 update corrupted Disc Image Burner in Windows explorer. I can't burn CD-R's on any of my 4 Windows 7 machines.
m
l
!