Sign in with
Your question

Could a bad monitor cause system to power off?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 17, 2012 5:46:57 PM

I had an Asus wifideluxe mb with intel core2duo 3850, 8800gt graphics, corsair 4gb ram all in a coolermaster case and an Acer 19" LCD monitor for about 3 yrs.
During transportation my monitor cracked and i changed it with a Samsung 2333T 24" LCD. Approximately 5 months later my system powers off on its own. I switch of the PSU for about 30mins then power it up it comes on stays for about 1 hr and powers off. i repeat the process but this time it powers off after 5mins and finally powers off within 5 seconds and no longer comes on when i put it on.
i replaced my Antec quattro 850w PSU with an OCZ 650w psu but the system still powered off.
Dismissing this as old age I took the opportunity to upgrade and got:

Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H SKT-FM1 Motherboard
AMD A8-3850 Quad-Core Processor - 2.9GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, Socket FM1, APU
8GB corsair vengeance ddr3 ram.

All worked out fine for about 2 months when this system resumed powering off exactly the same way the previous system did.
I have changed everything except the GPU, monitor and casing. I have inspected the casing and mb for signs of shorting but found none and i use brass standoffs (which i used with previous system for 3 yrs)
So is my monitor the culprit?
March 17, 2012 10:29:23 PM

i removed the 8800gt and used integrated graphics but problem persists.
i disconnected all front panel usb but problem persists.
March 21, 2012 1:10:09 AM

I seriously doubt your monitor is the culprit. VERY seriously doubt. Your monitor doesn't deliver anything TO your computer (that I know of). It only receives data. A foolproof way to check this is to power on your computer, then disconnect the monitor and check if the computer powers off.
Related resources
March 23, 2012 5:36:10 PM

Try another monitor.
April 3, 2012 9:54:49 AM

tried another monitor (my TV) but system still powers off.
tried just the motherboard (outside the casing) with psu, keyboard and original monitor but you guessed it, system still powers off.
April 8, 2012 8:03:21 PM

Switch out parts one by one with parts you know that work. Possibly go to a hardware shop and ask for them to help you..?
April 8, 2012 11:23:30 PM

I am going to do exactly that. i just hope that whatever is causing the problem has not permanently damaged my motherboard!
!