3006MB already. Can it be upgraded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavityre

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Trying to add more RAM to the wifes laptop.

It's a HP Pavillion dv6700 Notebook. I have seen that I can add 2 GB 200 pin DDR2 PC2-6400 Ram to it.

Want to know if this is correct. Is there a spot to add this, or is it maxed out at the 3 it already has? I'm afraid to tear into it.

Thanks

G

Memory is usually under a small hatch on the bottom of the computer. You won't do any harm by taking a peek. If a slot is free, add something (search Kingston or Crucial sites for modules compatible with your machine -- probably cheaper than from HP).

If both slots are taken, you'll have to figure out what size the present ones are and whether there is potential to install larger capacity modules.

mavityre

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
OK
Found it. There is one stick of 1 GB RAM, and under that is a stick of 2 GB RAM. No other spots for more.
So, is it possioble to put a 2GB stcik in where the 1 GB RAM is to give the machine a total of 4GB RAM?

Thanks

Yes, the system supports up to 4 GB of RAM. But, depending on the version of your operating system it may not matter. If you are only using a 32 bit version of XP, Vista or 7, then the operating system may not detect anything over 3 GB of RAM (this was/is especially true with XP). However, if you are using a 64-bit version of the operating systems, there will be no issue.

mavityre

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Cool. Thanks.
According to her Dxdiag file she is running AMD Turion 64 x 2 mobile technology. (does this mean 64 bit?)
Otherwise it's Windows Vista 6.0 build 6002 service pack 2.

Thanks

Yes, the processor is 64-bit capable but it's the Operating System that will ultimately determine what we need.
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System. On that page there should be something that says "system type" and next to that it will say either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.