Sign in with
Your question

Have you upgraded to sp1?

Last response: in Windows XP
November 23, 2002 2:49:00 PM

...If you have, please check if you have the \windows\prefetch folder. After my installation of sp1 today, it disappeard and cant be found in the system (thought ms moved it or so..). I like the function and would like have it back. I didnt find anything useful hints on microsoft.com/support either...

More about : upgraded sp1

November 24, 2002 2:54:27 AM

Yes, I have it. Apparently you're supposed to clean this folder out every once in a while.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>
November 24, 2002 4:03:34 AM

Yeah, I got it... 4.29 MB of stuff in it.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
Related resources
November 24, 2002 2:08:28 PM

So why the heck did sp1 remove it? :-)
Well.. I had other things bothering me so I did a clean install today anyway. Sp1 this time did not remove it so I guess it was somw weird stuff going on in the other installation.

I dont know why people are saying to clean this folder out, cause the service itself are updating it every time you use your computer! It uses the info there to reallocate the files optimized during defrag...
November 25, 2002 8:28:44 AM

Same thing happened to me. Perhaps some conflicts between all the pre-SP1 updates and SP1. With a fresh install you dont get all the pre-SP1 updates and that may explain why it works.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>
November 25, 2002 11:09:21 PM

Well, what do you know...the folder is a hidden system folder. All you need is just to unhide it. Go to your folder option in view tab, select "show all hidden files and folders" and also uncheck "hide protected operating system files". Apply it and find if the folder is there...
November 27, 2002 4:14:27 AM

Agreed Boot. Upgrading to SP1 reverts many XP default settings. Much Much better to clean install SP1 than upgrade to it. I had sooo many problems with upgrading. With slipstreamed XP SP1 disk, clean install, no probs :) 

:eek:  <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek: 
November 27, 2002 6:53:56 PM

This was not the case for me anyway.. I hate hidden files so its the first thing I disable on any computer :-)
November 27, 2002 11:13:32 PM

Hidden files should be view but not for the case of protected operating system files. Sometimes with these files view, your explorer might look messy with lots of files e.g. the C drive itself with files like io.sys, ntldr, ntdetect, recycler etc. So, sometimes I’d just hide these protected files and leave the rest of the hidden files and folders shown. That makes your drive looks more organized. Again if you’re going to access those files very often, then you might want to leave it unhide all the time.
November 28, 2002 10:12:28 PM

i used a slipstreamed disk, however i used the repair option during the install procedure and it ugraded to sp1 and left all my software installed and no changes to settings.

?8=‡”ƒÎ
November 29, 2002 9:55:20 PM

well.. Im so used to see all hidden files and folders after all years, I would think I miss something if I turned it off.. ;-)
!