Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded motherboard, can't boot win7 pro but can boot win7home on same HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
April 28, 2010 3:34:37 AM

my motherboard died, on me.
well to be precise, I bought the gateway DX4831 and it came with the gatway windows 7 home. I didn't like it so I partitioned the 1000gb drive and installed windows 7 pro into the new partition.
after my motherboard died, I bought a new one and changed the motherboard, now windows 7 pro won't start, but window 7 home can start just fine.

At this point I am very confused, when I start Win7Pro, as soon as it boot up the thing crashes, but when I boot up win7home it works like a charm.

what are the differences??
a b $ Windows 7
April 28, 2010 8:25:01 AM

Your W7 pro (retail I assume) is designed to work with only one motherboard. You'll have to re-install W7 pro. I'm guessing that the home version is an OEM, which is why it is still booting up, i.e. it isn't as "sensitive" as the retail version in regard to changing motherboards.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 12:46:38 PM

buwish said:
Your W7 pro (retail I assume) is designed to work with only one motherboard. You'll have to re-install W7 pro. I'm guessing that the home version is an OEM, which is why it is still booting up, i.e. it isn't as "sensitive" as the retail version in regard to changing motherboards.

Ass backwards.
m
l
Related resources
!