Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't acess my user acct win 7 starts a new temp user account

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 6:50:25 PM

Hello Tom's

I'm sure someone is familar with this problem, i start my pc up (from being off) and get logged into a temp user profile.
It tells me that i cannot acess my user profile and all information will be deleted on logging out.
I've looked online for a soloution but none work for me ,I really dont know how to resolve this problem,I have limited knowledge and computer skills.
Any help would be great ,i really dont want to scrap this drive and start over.
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 6:59:38 PM

It would appear that you normally get your user account settings via a Roaming profile (on a network, typically) and it cannot communicate with the domain controller so therefore it's giving you a temp account. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 7:15:56 PM

If it is indeed trying to use a Roaming Profile, it should still work and not have that problem, and load the locally-stored copy of the profile and get updated when you connect to the domain. Ie.

You can check if the locally-stored profile is a roaming profile and change if necesary here: 1. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Systems (or right click on “Computer” and then click on Properties.

2. Click on Advanced System Settings from the left side panel.

3. Click Advanced Tab and under User Profiles click Settings

4. Click on the profile you are using and click on Change Type…

5. Select Local Profile > click Ok > Restart and see if that fixes it for you.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 7:38:37 PM

It seems you account may be corrupt. A domain account will allow you to log in even if you're not on the network(can't see a domain controller) - you just won't pick up any changes to group policy or map any drives, but you will be able to log in to your profile normally.

The other thing I've seen is a full C drive do this.
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:32:20 PM

danny2000 said:
Try this from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...

Thanks for your quick response,danny2000.After downloading and reading the readme file, it states that it is used for win 2000, XP , win NT.
Will this apply to win 7 as well?
sorry for inadequate knowledge and skills, learning curve is high haha lol :o 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 8:35:15 PM

ryder57 said:
Thanks for your quick response,danny2000.After downloading and reading the readme file, it states that it is used for win 2000, XP , win NT.
Will this apply to win 7 as well?
sorry for inadequate knowledge and skills, learning curve is high haha lol :o 

No, Ryder, sorry about that, my bad.
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:36:17 PM

hedwar2011 said:
It would appear that you normally get your user account settings via a Roaming profile (on a network, typically) and it cannot communicate with the domain controller so therefore it's giving you a temp account. :) 

:)  It seems that all profiles are set to local so what next? :o 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 8:40:11 PM

In Windows Explorer, are you able to browse to the real profile and see your documents and such?
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:49:21 PM

danny2000 said:
In Windows Explorer, are you able to browse to the real profile and see your documents and such?

Just tried to find original user acct and it seems it isn't listed in win explorer.
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:50:25 PM

I have about 4 temp accts in win explorer user folder
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:56:24 PM

i have noticed my HP laptop does this as well after an unexpected shutdown, power loss or battery dying, whatever the case. the user that was logged on at the time will be completely non accessible at the first boot. i give it about 30 minutes and reboot and that usually fixes it.
m
l
December 29, 2012 9:00:43 PM

nyterage said:
i have noticed my HP laptop does this as well after an unexpected shutdown, power loss or battery dying, whatever the case. the user that was logged on at the time will be completely non accessible at the first boot. i give it about 30 minutes and reboot and that usually fixes it.

Have tried that , no success , thanks for the input :o 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 9:00:58 PM

ryder57 said:
I have about 4 temp accts in win explorer user folder

Did you try to explore any of those temp accounts to see if any of them are actually the one that you want?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 9:02:42 PM

Also, going back, do you know if your computer was ever added to a domain? What version of Windows 7 do you own? Windows 7 Home Premium, or Pro?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 9:39:51 PM

Hi ryder57

assuming the PC is a home one which has not been on a domain

you need to login to a account with administrator privileges.
Possibly via Safe Mode

Run chkdsk which will require a reboot.
If that does not cure the corruption you need to get back to the admin account and create a new user account for your self

copy your documents from old account to the new account,
( you may need to take ownership of your old files if you have permissions problems)

Most Programs will work with any user (some do not work on guest accounts)

It is usually easier to create new account than repair old account unless you have access to someone who has the skills to do so.

(If your PC was on a domain the IT dept would probably connect remotely to your PC, rename the corrupt account and get you to login again, which would re-create the local files. If that did not work they would probably re-create a new profile on the server. Your data files should be safe on a server not the local PC)

regards

Mike Barnes

!