Adding an operating system

mb

I've noticed a variety of notebooks offered on a police auction site (not
necessarily DELL). It includes the statement:

No Operating System included due to licensing regulations. All software,
including the Operating System, is removed prior to shipment

My question: I still have the W98 CDs from an old Gateway as well as the XP
Cds from my Dell Dim. 2400.

1) Can I use these CDs to install the system on the new computer (if I buy
it)?

2) Would that be legal (assuming I no longer have the Dell and Gateway
systems)?
Mel

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I've noticed a variety of notebooks offered on a police auction site (not
> necessarily DELL). It includes the statement:
>

> No Operating System included due to licensing regulations. All software,
> including the Operating System, is removed prior to shipment
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> My question: I still have the W98 CDs from an old Gateway as well as the
> XP
> Cds from my Dell Dim. 2400.
>
> 1) Can I use these CDs to install the system on the new computer (if I buy
> it)?
>
> 2) Would that be legal (assuming I no longer have the Dell and Gateway
> systems)?
> Mel

There's two problems.... As far as I know, the XP CD has a BIOS check that
ensures that it'll only install on a Dell PC. The 2nd problem is more
serious. Your Gateway and Dell OS CDs are OEM licensed. That means that you
don't own the license, your PC does. You cannot transfer the license to a
new PC.

There may be an alternative though. Each PC has a Microsoft License sticker
on it with a license key. If this sticker is still intact (and there's no
reason why it shouldn't be. The hard disks were only wiped for privacy
reasons) you can legally install a new copy of the named OS, using the
listed license code, from borrowed CDs.

Gary

The "operating system recovery" CD provided by Dell for its computers loaded
with XP Home is, plain and simple, a generic Windows XP Home installation CD
which will install properly on most any computer, not just a Dell.

Whether or not you are circumventing Micro$oft's entirely self-serving $32B
licensing restrictions, the fact remains that in order to complete the
installation of any modern Microsoft OS you MUST enter a valid product key, the
alphanumeric 25-or-so character code on the Certificate of Authentication.
Beginning with Windows XPee, you must also "authenticate" the product with
Microsoft within 30 days of installation. Microsoft's authentication procedure
tightens up the possibility of using the same Product Key repeatedly on several
computers... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:15:02 +0100, "Gary Pigott" <usenet@garypigott.net> wrote:

>"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> I've noticed a variety of notebooks offered on a police auction site (not
>> necessarily DELL). It includes the statement:
>>

>> No Operating System included due to licensing regulations. All software,
>> including the Operating System, is removed prior to shipment
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> My question: I still have the W98 CDs from an old Gateway as well as the
>> XP
>> Cds from my Dell Dim. 2400.
>>
>> 1) Can I use these CDs to install the system on the new computer (if I buy
>> it)?
>>
>> 2) Would that be legal (assuming I no longer have the Dell and Gateway
>> systems)?
>> Mel
>
>There's two problems.... As far as I know, the XP CD has a BIOS check that
>ensures that it'll only install on a Dell PC. The 2nd problem is more
>serious. Your Gateway and Dell OS CDs are OEM licensed. That means that you
>don't own the license, your PC does. You cannot transfer the license to a
>new PC.
>
>There may be an alternative though. Each PC has a Microsoft License sticker
>on it with a license key. If this sticker is still intact (and there's no
>reason why it shouldn't be. The hard disks were only wiped for privacy
>reasons) you can legally install a new copy of the named OS, using the
>listed license code, from borrowed CDs.
>
>Gary

"Beginning with Windows XPee..."

I never heard it called that before. That's hilarious!

--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

Ben Myers wrote:

> The "operating system recovery" CD provided by Dell for its computers loaded
> with XP Home is, plain and simple, a generic Windows XP Home installation CD
> which will install properly on most any computer, not just a Dell.

Interesting.

I was under the impression that the CD was tied to any Dell BIOS.

Notan

> Ben Myers wrote:
> >
> > The "operating system recovery" CD provided by Dell for its computers
loaded
> > with XP Home is, plain and simple, a generic Windows XP Home
installation CD
> > which will install properly on most any computer, not just a Dell.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I was under the impression that the CD was tied to any Dell BIOS.
>
> Notan

Nope. It just bypasses the activation process on a Dell.

Tom

Nope. At least, not for XP Home... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:21:48 GMT, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>> The "operating system recovery" CD provided by Dell for its computers loaded
>> with XP Home is, plain and simple, a generic Windows XP Home installation CD
>> which will install properly on most any computer, not just a Dell.
>
>Interesting.
>
>I was under the impression that the CD was tied to any Dell BIOS.
>
>Notan

People who have to deal with failed attempts at product activation through an
unforgiving corporate firewall, and who then have to telephone Microsoft's
product activation telephone number and struggle with a person who does not
speak American English dialect as a first language sometimes become imaginative.

Glad you got a chuckle. There is also Office XPee. That one won't get a big of
a guffaw, I suspect... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:23:39 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>"Beginning with Windows XPee..."
>
>I never heard it called that before. That's hilarious!
>
>--
>Ted Zieglar
>formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

<SNIP>

I've probably called 15 times and always gotten through very quickly and
spoken to someone who was clearly American. I am not aware that MS took
activation offshore.

> People who have to deal with failed attempts at product activation through
an
> unforgiving corporate firewall, and who then have to telephone Microsoft's
> product activation telephone number and struggle with a person who does
not
> speak American English dialect as a first language sometimes become
imaginative.

> Glad you got a chuckle. There is also Office XPee. That one won't get a
big of
> a guffaw, I suspect... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:23:39 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Beginning with Windows XPee..."
> >
> >I never heard it called that before. That's hilarious!
> >
> >--
> >Ted Zieglar
> >formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
> >

> <SNIP>

Maybe they've moved the activation center around. Or maybe it is distributed
among continents. But I have spoken to an activation person speaking English
with the distinct accent of someone likely to be in India. This was about 18
months ago when I was unable to activate Office XP through a corporate firewall
in a smallish company for which corporate level quantity licenses were not
practical... Ben Myers

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:57:42 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>I've probably called 15 times and always gotten through very quickly and
>spoken to someone who was clearly American. I am not aware that MS took
>activation offshore.

>> People who have to deal with failed attempts at product activation through
>an
>> unforgiving corporate firewall, and who then have to telephone Microsoft's
>> product activation telephone number and struggle with a person who does
>not
>> speak American English dialect as a first language sometimes become
>imaginative.
>>
>> Glad you got a chuckle. There is also Office XPee. That one won't get a
>big of
>> a guffaw, I suspect... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:23:39 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
>> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >"Beginning with Windows XPee..."
>> >
>> >I never heard it called that before. That's hilarious!
>> >
>> >--
>> >Ted Zieglar
>> >formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
>> >

>> <SNIP>

Ah, you didn't mention OFFICE XP. Different call center.

Tom