Removal of Heatsink on a retail P3 S.E.C.C.2

G

I am wondering exactly how hard it is to remove the heatsink on a retail P3 S.E.C.C.2 is? I remember that it was quite involved for the old P2 S.E.C.C. I would like too know this before I actually purchase one. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PimpinLoon

G

I've done it twice. There are a couple of different ways, but I used the "case screw" method. I've read some articles saying how easy it is, but I was gritting my teeth both times at the force I had to use. I also had one of the pins get stuck each time and ended up using a light "drift punch" and a couple of pieces of wood. Maybe it's just me (I'm not a total klutz) but I recently read an article (somewhere) where the same thing happen to some guy and he ruined his cpu. There's an article with some pictures at:

www.overclockers.com

Look for the article entitled "Removing the Heatsink from a Retail PIII."

It was worth the worry as I'm using Alpha P3125's with dual 60 mm. fans. What a cooler, although not without its caveats.

Mike

G

Thanks for the info...I found an OEM P3 with a 1 year warranty and I think I'm going to go that route, since this CPU is going into a computer where I work.

Thanks again,

PimpinLoon

TRENDING THREADS