Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

If you had a 733 P3 would you upgrade now?

Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2000 12:16:36 AM

I have my sytem at 733 with a 550e for about almost a year now. Would you guys upgrade? I was thinking of buying a 700 coppermine and trying for 900+. But I don't know with Intel's 815 and AMD's new stuff should I wait? What would you guys get if you had about 5-700 to blow?
Voodoo5 5500
SBLive Value
128 MB PC 133 cas2

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

More about : 733 upgrade

November 16, 2000 12:20:08 AM

check price watch the intel 1ghz is 450 dallor
November 16, 2000 12:22:41 AM

That is a little (way) to expensive. I am thinking of spending less then 180 total on the cpu.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."
Related resources
November 16, 2000 12:27:23 AM

Have you concidered a T-bird 800? $100 cheaper than a P3 800!

Y0u 7h1nk 7h@7 y0u c@n fr0n7 wh3n r3v31@710n c0m35?
November 16, 2000 12:54:57 AM

Yeah I am thinking of getting AMD. I want a 900 just cause that fact that it is made with copper. Thinking of pairing that with a KT7 (no raid).

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."
November 16, 2000 1:43:05 AM

ANyone who buys a new proc & mobo right now should seek therapy. I bang my head against the wall evry time I see a news bit these days. I plunked down a little over a grand a month ago for a system upgrade. Two weeks ago I see that DDR boards and AMD chips to match are just around the corner and that the NV20 is not far behind that. Sorry gotta go, I feel another fit comin'on. Woe is meeee!!!
November 16, 2000 2:27:44 AM

if you've got the cash and nothing better to do with it i'd say sure. i don't see why if your comp is working for whatever you use it for now though. with a voodoo 5 and a 733 anything i'm thinking that you can't be unhappy with your gaming performance. like some of the other guys said though it'd be worth it (if you decide to ug) to wait for a decent selection of ddr boards to come out.
November 16, 2000 5:29:16 AM

Whatever you do, consider waiting for DDR. Intel will have the DDR platform through VIA first, and then AMD.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2000 7:51:42 AM

i have a pII 266 mhz with 64 megs pc100 sdram... anyone think it's about time for me to upgrade?


i'm going to get a 900 mhz tbird with DDR in january. should be great price/performance ratio by then

lemme know if i'm doomed*.

*intel lovers pipe down.
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2000 6:42:05 AM

as socket 370 is maxxed at 1 ghz there is no point to upgrade to 1ghz. just save your money for a system that has a faster bus and memory
November 30, 2000 4:53:05 PM

Yeah, I'd hold off on that upgrade. You'll be fine for at least another 6 months, or so. DDR is the way to go, but I've also heard of QDR in the works- same idea but quad data rate. When is this happening? I'll stick with my ancient athlon 600 and 256megs of pc133 for now.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2000 6:40:58 PM

Stay right were you are...

If you want to spend some money, get a geforce2 ultra video card and another 128MB of ram.

A good time to by will be the end of Q1 2001.
November 30, 2000 7:10:15 PM

thats why you get socket a AMD stuff!
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2000 7:34:33 PM

since we're on the topic of ddr mobos,
i just ordered the new vp6 mainboard from Abit (bp6 successor) with dual fcpga. How long will it be until theres a descent dual socket for intel cpus, i can still cancel the vp6 since eta is 12/05.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2000 12:40:29 PM

no way would i go with the i815. even tho decent,intel held it back so it wouldn't look better than rambus.
also no way would i buy a rambus setup at all. rambus is getting ready to raise prices on everything pc and they are bastards. #2 rambus is getting ready to release faster rambus.
#3 amd or intel, ddr will be out soon and also a sdram/ddr p4. wait and see if it is a truly faster cpu, instead of just stepping up mghz like the current one.
good luck.
analyst say that rambus may be winning their lawsuits.
this will be damaging in 2 ways.
you will have to pay more for everything becuase part of the price will be a royalty that is paid to rambus.
if rambus wins they can stop companys from producing the pc componenst that you want to buy just by not licensing them to make memory related parts(almost everything).
best to keep an eye on the suits and if it looks like they are fixing to win,go out and buy your dream system while you still can,or can still afford it. i personally will not help intel because they are trying to screw us by helping rambus and theirselves to the contents of your wallet without giving you anything in return at all. nothing!
we won the suit,pay us 1grand for that @500 dollar cpu.
400 for that $200 mobo.$800 for that $400 vid card,one thousand for that $89 memory.
and no one will be able to stop them.
keep a wary eye on outcome and buy before they take it away
courts don't usually move fast,i'm going to wait till q2 if allowed to. to give them time to get the bugs out of ddr.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2000 10:31:48 PM

Does your present system run all your apps fast enough if not up-grade, if it does wait everything will be cheaper and faster if you wait.
December 4, 2000 1:00:50 AM

Definite no need to upgrade now especially if your a gamer. Your vid card is already holding you back (unless you game at 640x480). Only big increase you can get is in something like Flask or other CPU intense apps.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2000 1:37:17 AM

733 is fine for now, wait till next Summer when CPUs are up to 2Ghz :) 
December 4, 2000 2:26:24 PM

i say fine right now. most programs now only need say a 1year or 1 1/2 years upgrade. if your in it only for games 6 months would fit you fine
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2000 12:19:56 AM

what aree you talking about? most programs now only need 300mhz?
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2000 5:52:33 AM

Nah, I'd hold pat for another 6 mos or so. YOu have plenty of power to do most anything you want. If you have any problems in games, just get a new vid card.
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2000 1:17:17 PM

I'd listen to what everyone says and hang fire for a few months.You would only be mightily p@~#ed off to blow your cash now and then want to upgrade again next year
December 5, 2000 7:14:49 PM

Well I just bought another 128 megs of ram. Had to do it my hands where getting itchy to spend money :o ). Thanks for all who replied I appreciate it. Guess I will hold off for about 6 months then. Thanks again!

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2000 10:49:42 AM

i won't.
i'll upgrade when i own a 21" monitor and need play games at 1600x1200x32@120hz with 100+ fps.

if you feel good now, why upgrade ?

i'll upgrade the 3D card rather than the proc.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2000 5:05:21 PM

Your P3 733mhz processor will suit suit you fine for today's processing needs. If you want to upgrade, maybe put in more memory or a faster harddrive.