Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless network adapter for Windows 7 64 bit?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 29, 2009 4:09:53 PM

Can anyone here confirm a useable wireless adapter for a desktop?

Either PCI or USB is ok with me as long as someone can confirm working drivers for Win 7.

I'm pretty certain i need a wireless G rather than N. Is it worth upgrading a router for N connectivity?

Thanks in advance
July 31, 2009 4:34:38 PM

I have not had any issues using the drivers created for windows vista in windows 7 (just be sure you get the 64 bit version of the drivers if you are using the 64-bit version of the OS). You can upgrade to N wireless if you want but there are no standards so there may be compatibility issues if you don't get the same brand wireless cards AND router.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 31, 2009 5:05:38 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am currently using this one with Windows 7. Though be warned, depending on when you downloaded your Win7 client you may need to connect to the internet to update Win7 before you can use it. Just something to possibly keep in mind. :) 
August 4, 2009 9:39:54 PM

Thanks for the help guys... I guess my first card was DOA and the Belkin USB support was rather lack-luster... My new one comes today, so I will test my luck!
m
l
August 4, 2009 11:28:44 PM

I have the Belkin USB Wireless adapter F5D7050 V4 and V5 on Windows 7 X64.

Just make sure you install the correct driver for the version...

I have not had a problem with either adapter
m
l
September 18, 2009 12:24:37 AM

1haplo said:
I have the Belkin USB Wireless adapter F5D7050 V4 and V5 on Windows 7 X64.

Just make sure you install the correct driver for the version...

I have not had a problem with either adapter

I am currently running XP 32 SP3 with a Belkin USB Wireless adapter F5D7050 V4. When I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, it told me: Windows Upgrade Advisor Action Recommended:
An update is required to make this device compatible with Windows 7. Go online to get the latest driver from the Manufacture's website.

Do I need to download the V5xxx to an external USB Drive so it will work on Windows 7 64, or will the V4xxx work?

Thank you

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2009 1:46:14 AM

The wireless adapter will need a windows 7 driver, the iXP driver will not work with Windows XP. Go to the wireless adapter's online web page and download the proper driver. Install it after windows 7 in installed.
m
l
September 18, 2009 3:21:35 AM

Is the proper driver the V5xxx one? If not let me know.

Thank you very much!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2009 4:32:58 AM

Quote:
Do I need to download the V5xxx to an external USB Drive so it will work on Windows 7 64, or will the V4xxx work?

I believe this is the product page for you're belkin wireless adapter.

Looks like Belkin has issued a driver for Vista 32/64: F5D7050 Version 5xxx Driver. Assuming ver. 5 is the latest of the 3,4 and 5 series listed.

That Vista 32/64 driver will likely work with Windows 7 32/64.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id...

m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2009 7:11:09 PM

dlink dwa 160 usb.....i have it on 3 windows 7 computers runs perfect and windows 7
will even update the driver for you!
m
l
October 30, 2009 4:24:08 PM

TRENDnet TEW-423PI will work on Win 7 64 with the driver included with Windows 7 (for Realtec chip).

It will also update to the TRENDnet driver directly from the installation disc DRIVER\X64 folder.

I haven't tried the configuration utility in Win 7.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 3, 2010 5:10:13 PM

onlyNegg said:
TRENDnet TEW-423PI will work on Win 7 64 with the driver included with Windows 7 (for Realtec chip).

It will also update to the TRENDnet driver directly from the installation disc DRIVER\X64 folder.

I haven't tried the configuration utility in Win 7.

what realtek model are you using to install tew-423pi on windows 7 64 bit?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 3, 2010 5:16:57 PM

onlynewegg made one single post on 10-30-09. You replied to a post made more than five months ago askin a specific question. The poster is obviously no longer posting on the forum. Maybe someone else has a specific answer, but I believe the idea is that windows 7 had a driver available for his adapter. He clearly states the model of his adapter which apparently worked with Win 7. Check the date of the thread when posting.
m
l
December 10, 2010 12:01:03 AM

*** Please note -After trying 3 different adaptors, and reading this complete thread, removing Kapersky security temporarily worked for me on my Windows 7 64 bit custom built desktop computer with a TP link wireless adaptor

On reflection this is old an problem (I have been working with computers for over 30 years). In the past, network companies used to insist that you uninstall all Network security before installation. It is funny that the same problems exists today, except that the Network supplies have forgotten( lower level of competence more likely) to give proper instructions specifically for Windows 7.

I am all for bashing Microsoft where it is justified and I feel there is a lot areas where it is, but in this case I level my complaint with the network hardware suppliers (who do not give detail instructions for Windows 7 ) Microsoft, is not off hook entirely, because I feel they fail miserably for not responding satisfactorily to communities like this.

The future of the web lies with people who find a voice and lead with passion.

Gary

SEO Company
m
l
December 10, 2010 8:09:58 AM

Im having the same problem with TEW 423-PI wireless card from Trendnet (trendware) I had it installed successfully and working by using the updated driver download from the manufacturers website, i had to uninstall the software before it would work. The following day, no success, stopped working for no apparent reason.

Will try the sugestion of adding my computer to a homegroup to see if that helps, if not ill try uninstalling nod32.

Any other suggestions would be really appreciated as im going out of my mind with this :(  thanks
m
l
!