Mixing RIMM's Question

Can I mix Non-ECC and ECC RDRAM ? I thought that I could but the ECC
would not operate as such but work as Non-ECC. Is this correct ? Any
problems in mixing them ? Thanks!

Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about mixing rimm question

    Correct, and additionally, if different speed modules (PC600/PC800/PC1066)
    RIMMS are used together, they'll all be forced to run at the lowest speed of
    the installed modules. Remember that RDRAM needs to be install in matching
    pairs, and that paired modules on one channel should be rated similarly.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Russell Sullivan
    http://tastycomputers.com

    "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    > Can I mix Non-ECC and ECC RDRAM ? I thought that I could but the ECC
    > would not operate as such but work as Non-ECC. Is this correct ? Any
    > problems in mixing them ? Thanks!
    >
    > Mike

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:29:59 GMT, "Russell"
    <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote:

    >Correct, and additionally, if different speed modules (PC600/PC800/PC1066)
    >RIMMS are used together, they'll all be forced to run at the lowest speed of
    >the installed modules. Remember that RDRAM needs to be install in matching
    >pairs, and that paired modules on one channel should be rated similarly.
    >
    >Hope this helps.

    Thanks for the info!

    Mike

    Is ECC any better than non ECC? My RDRAM is supposed to be ECC but shows as
    non ECC in the BIOS and I can't find a way to change it.

    Brian

    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:29:59 GMT, "Russell"
    > <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote:
    >
    > >Correct, and additionally, if different speed modules
    (PC600/PC800/PC1066)
    > >RIMMS are used together, they'll all be forced to run at the lowest speed
    of
    > >the installed modules. Remember that RDRAM needs to be install in
    matching
    > >pairs, and that paired modules on one channel should be rated similarly.
    > >
    > >Hope this helps.
    >
    > Thanks for the info!
    >
    > Mike

    ECC mode has to be enabled or set to be auto-detected in your motherboard's
    BIOS. I'm not sure whether or not your Dell BIOS will enable you to change
    it or not, as most of the advanced BIOS settings in a Dell are hidden away
    from prying eyes. ECC memory will check to see that all data written to and
    from memory to your hard drive is always identical, at the expense of a
    performance speed hit and a higher price tag for the modules, but is
    normally used in mission-critical server configurations. Most
    enthusiasts/gamers/casual home users/workstation users prefer non-ECC for
    maximum performance.
    --
    Russell Sullivan
    http://tastycomputers.com

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is ECC any better than non ECC? My RDRAM is supposed to be ECC but shows
    as
    > non ECC in the BIOS and I can't find a way to change it.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:29:59 GMT, "Russell"
    > > <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Correct, and additionally, if different speed modules
    > (PC600/PC800/PC1066)
    > > >RIMMS are used together, they'll all be forced to run at the lowest
    speed
    > of
    > > >the installed modules. Remember that RDRAM needs to be install in
    > matching
    > > >pairs, and that paired modules on one channel should be rated
    similarly.

    > > >Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the info!
    > >
    > > Mike

    Rated identically is safer. I've always used identical pairs of RIMMs in the
    same channel. I have no clue what would happen if I mixed different speeds, but
    same capacities, in the same channel, i.e. 128MB PC600 and 128MB PC800. I'm not
    inclined to find out, altho motherboard (especially Intel's) specs will
    generally provide a definitive answer... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:29:59 GMT, "Russell"
    <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote:

    >Correct, and additionally, if different speed modules (PC600/PC800/PC1066)
    >RIMMS are used together, they'll all be forced to run at the lowest speed of
    >the installed modules. Remember that RDRAM needs to be install in matching
    >pairs, and that paired modules on one channel should be rated similarly.
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >--
    >Russell Sullivan
    >http://tastycomputers.com
    >
    >"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    >> Can I mix Non-ECC and ECC RDRAM ? I thought that I could but the ECC
    >> would not operate as such but work as Non-ECC. Is this correct ? Any
    >> problems in mixing them ? Thanks!
    >>
    >> Mike

    Thanks. A most helpful answer. I won't try anymore to turn it on.

    Brian

    "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote in
    message news:abDNc.169901$a24.13563@attbi_s03...
    > ECC mode has to be enabled or set to be auto-detected in your
    motherboard's
    > BIOS. I'm not sure whether or not your Dell BIOS will enable you to
    change
    > it or not, as most of the advanced BIOS settings in a Dell are hidden away
    > from prying eyes. ECC memory will check to see that all data written to
    and
    > from memory to your hard drive is always identical, at the expense of a
    > performance speed hit and a higher price tag for the modules, but is
    > normally used in mission-critical server configurations. Most
    > enthusiasts/gamers/casual home users/workstation users prefer non-ECC for
    > maximum performance.
    > --
    > Russell Sullivan
    > http://tastycomputers.com