AMD System Purchase 2 - queries

cshaun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi this is my second post on the system I wish to purchase. I've changed a few things and would like a few more comment before I puchase it...

Duron 650MHz
ThermalTake Chrome Orb
Soltek 75KV2-X Motherboard
Nova 128MB PC133
IBM 7200 20GB 7200rpm
Gainward GeForce 2 MX 5.5ns
Sound Blaster Live! OEM Value
JNC Midi Tower w/ 250W
Genius sw4.1 System
Auriga 17CF Monitor
mouse
keyboard

ALL for US$1075.00 + TAX

I'm interested in comments on the Genius speakers vs. Cambridge 4.1 FPS1500 speakers. The Genius speakers are half the price and louder. Is there something I'm missing here? Why the price difference?

250W vs. 300W - What's the deal? 300W is much more expensive...?

Nova ram... Quality? If it works it works doesn't it??

And the mobo (first time I've used the word). It uses the KT133 chipset and supports UATA100. <A HREF="http://www.soltek.com.tw/english/products/75kv2.htm" target="_new">http://www.soltek.com.tw/english/products/75kv2.htm</A>
So what's the biggie about this compared between the A7V and KT7?

Should I go for the more expensive Philips monitor?

Thanx
Shaun

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
a)system looks OK to me. a faster processor would keep the whole system decent for a little longer than the 650.

b)the only things i know about speakers are: i like good sound, louder is better, and i'm cheap. i'd go with the genius.

c)this is redundant but i'll say it anyway. i assume you plan to oc the duron otherwise the orb is not necessary.

d)a friend of mine is obsessive about cooling and has nearly every cooling device (at one time or another) in his comp that you can imagine. when he added another external fan to the top of his case every time he turned on his comp something new wouldn't detect (hd, nic, sound, etc). the only reason we could come up with was that his power was 250 and he was having a sort of brownout effect.

cshaun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanx for the post...

mmm... Interesting about the 250W.

As for the ORB, I might aswell get a good fan, so that when I upgrade later (1GHz+) I don't need a new one... I don't want to go and buy hundreds of fans like your friend. I'll just get a good one first off...

Shaun

G

The Soltek mobo will be fine for you if you don't plan hard overclocking. Then again, RAM quality (board layout, latency times) can make a change when you overclock the bus. None of these 17" monitors seems good enough to me. You should go to some store and see for yourself how they really work before purchasing one.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get the 300W power supply. Trust me, you don't want to be cheap when it really counts. If you get the 250W you may have unexplained problems and then just end up getting the 300W anyway and wasting your money on the 250W. The sound card, the video card, and all AMD chips need a lot of power. Some usb devices use the motherboard as their sole power supply (like joysticks and cameras). The keyboard and mouse use this as their power supply.
Basically, your setup MAY not function properly and your room for expansion is very tiny especially if you want to put in a Thunderbird (don't even think about it).
And I think it is so expensive because all the sellers out there know that you need it for all the newer processors like Duron, Tbird, and PIII. They have you by the balls.

RAM?...sure, it may work but hold on to your reciept.

A7V or Kt7? These two will give you the most features with room for expansion and they have great tweaking ability, not to mention higher quality, more stability, and a trusted board maker. If anything more people on forums like this one have these boards and it may be easier to get help about them.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personally i don't trust many motherboards other than ABIT or ASUS. You might want to invest in a better motherboard to save yourself a lot of hassle down the road. I recommend the ABIT KT7. The difference is "quality" not specs.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)