Sign in with
Your question

Cannot find a working Realtek LAN driver

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 8:41:03 PM

I am so frustrated and confused right now....my computer always randomly locks up and this time when I restarted it the network card decided to stop working. The only way to fix this was to rollback the driver to the one I mention in the next paragraph. I have the Asus M4A785TD-V EVO.

So first of all, the only lan driver that I can get to work right now is called Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) and it's version 7.2.1127.2008 from 2/26/2008. I have no idea how it was installed but nothing else I find will work. This driver isn't even the right one which is really confusing. According to Newegg and the asus page I have the Realtek RTL8112L LAN chipset. On the download page on Asus's website for my motherboard the only LAN driver is for the Realtek RTL8111C. It's not even the right one and I can't connect to the internet with it.

I also tried installing the LAN driver from my motherboard's installation CD, that didn't work either.

I also can't find the right driver on Realtek's website....

I would be fine with using the driver I have right now, but the internet is slow and laggy for some reason.

Please help, this is driving me crazy.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 9:00:45 PM

If AI suite installed, is Network iControl enabled?
Related resources
December 29, 2012 9:13:07 PM

I don't know what AI suite is and it isn't installed.
I just tried to update the driver with that one but it didn't work. It won't connect to the internet and when troubleshooting I get the error: "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

I rolled it back. I'm about to just give up and reinstall Windows.
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 9:24:16 PM

hello... is your LAN enabled in your BIO"s? go to gigabytes' site they use that chip on most their motherboards...

Get a magnifing glass and light and look at the chip on your motherboard... to be sure... you can locate it with motherboard manuals where the chip is...

What Windows version are you needing it for? and I can locate it for you...
December 29, 2012 11:15:40 PM

Well, reinstalled windows and this *** still isn't work well. One again I can only get that wrong driver working but its laggy as hell. After my fresh install I tried installing the lan driver from the mobo cd again but it wouldnt let me connect to the internet. I dont get it.

I'm currently running windows 7 ultimate x64. LAN is enabled in the bios, in fact i set the bios to default settings.
December 29, 2012 11:21:30 PM

FYI after I try to install any other LAN driver I get "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. It also goes from being on my home network to an unknown network and can't access the net. I ran ipconfig last time it happened and I had no default gateway or connection-specific DNS suffix. I also wasn't able to run ipconfig/renew. It gave me some kind of error.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 11:22:01 PM

It might be a LAN controller issue. An option would be installing a PCI LAN card. Or RMA the board.
December 29, 2012 11:32:35 PM

I've read some other people having issues with this and I think they figured out it wasn't an issue with the motherboard but who knows... But if it was a LAN controller issue then wouldn't it not work at all? I'm still able to access the internet but only on this random driver.

I don't have the box anymore so I don't know the serial #.
December 30, 2012 12:19:52 AM

Thanks for the link, I guess I'll see what they can do for me. I'd rather not have to send this in and get a new one though
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 12:36:41 AM

Remove the lan driver and use ccleaner to clear out the old registry entries.
Unplug your RJ45 connector from the pc.
Do a shut down and then restart the system without the cable attached... it should pick up on the new device and ask for the disc. I would first give it the driver from ASUS...
Better yet here is the latest from Realtek @ http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?...
You want the win7 auto installation program..
If that fails there is also a diagnostic program you might want to grab while you're there...
I've had issues with installing lan drivers with the cable attached before.
Hope this helps...JQ
December 30, 2012 12:57:23 AM

Instead of asking for a disc it found a driver to install from somewhere and it installed the same one I started out with: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 1:01:09 AM

nemmyy said:
FYI after I try to install any other LAN driver I get "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. It also goes from being on my home network to an unknown network and can't access the net. I ran ipconfig last time it happened and I had no default gateway or connection-specific DNS suffix. I also wasn't able to run ipconfig/renew. It gave me some kind of error.

First things first, take a step back and breathe. You're throwing so many drivers at the NIC it doesn't know which way is up. It's important to remember that if you attempt to reinstall a driver for a hardware device it's going to misbehave if you have it still plugged in or connected.

johnnyq1233 said:
Remove the lan driver and use ccleaner to clear out the old registry entries.
Unplug your RJ45 connector from the pc.
Do a shut down and then restart the system without the cable attached... it should pick up on the new device and ask for the disc. I would first give it the driver from ASUS...
Better yet here is the latest from Realtek @ http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?...
You want the win7 auto installation program..
If that fails there is also a diagnostic program you might want to grab while you're there...
I've had issues with installing lan drivers with the cable attached before.
Hope this helps...JQ

Be sure you unplug your network cable before trying to install it using the link JQ provided you.

UPDATE: I found an issue similar to yours HERE .
And it appears it can be fixed by using THIS driver. The one you need is the 3rd one from the bottom of the Windows list.
December 30, 2012 1:05:18 AM

I unplugged the cable, uninstalled the driver, ran ccleaner, installed a new one using the auto installer, plugged the cable in, still no internet access.
December 30, 2012 1:23:57 AM

Ok so I installed the driver in your update, that didn't work either. The network cable was unplugged every time I uninstalled/reinstalled.
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 1:26:43 AM

you could go one more by dissabling the onboard lan first, then removing the lan drivers from the system...
It might help to re-install the chipset drivers (latest) first before re-enabling the onboard lan...
This might help in clearing out the old config data.
JQ
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 2:36:12 AM

Hello... look on the motherboard with a magnifing glass and flashlight right around the network connector and see what is on your motherboard... it will be printed right on the chip. O.o
December 30, 2012 2:52:03 AM

I found this on ASUS' Technical Support page for your motherboard -> Realtek RTL8112L LAN Driver V5.736.728.2009

But, it is for XP.
December 30, 2012 6:38:58 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
you could go one more by dissabling the onboard lan first, then removing the lan drivers from the system...
It might help to re-install the chipset drivers (latest) first before re-enabling the onboard lan...
This might help in clearing out the old config data.
JQ

Didn't work. I didn't reinstall the chipset drivers though, but it's a fresh install so I don't think it would matter. I'm just going to contact asus and try to get a replacement motherboard.

Thanks for the help everyone
December 31, 2012 2:06:36 AM

Huh... so I think I may have fixed my problem, not 100% sure yet though. I reset my CMOS and it seems to be working back to normal. Isn't resetting the CMOS the same thing as setting your bios to factory default settings? I did that but it didn't change anything. I'll let you all know if this fixed my problem completely or not. I might still be laggy
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2013 1:20:55 AM

reseting your bios will set it back to when they boxed it..
January 2, 2013 7:57:46 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
reseting your bios will set it back to when they boxed it..

That didn't work though, so either resetting the cmos fixed it or it just fixed itself randomly.
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 1:07:55 AM

Not one hundred percent sure what the difference is if any...lol
But I know for certain that when you jump that "clear CMOS" jumpers or remove the battery it will reset all settings...
Glad you got it back up and hopefuly for good!!!
JQ
!