Dell XP CD: legal and technical Qs

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 28, 2004 1:04:04 AM

Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
the machine as it was when new.

I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
on the other machine to do a clean install?

And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
for a CD key and require activation.

It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.

TIA,

Bob

More about : dell legal technical

July 28, 2004 1:04:05 AM

"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message news:8rzNc.11363$3k3.4978@trndny02...

> Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
> on the other machine to do a clean install?

It seems to me that any limitations on the use of the software
on the Dell CD would [have to] be spelled out in the license
agreement associated with said CD. Do your come with a
shrink wrapped license? Is there one on the CD?
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:04:05 AM

Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to reinstall
XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.

I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
clearly NOT legal.

Tom
"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
> other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
> the machine as it was when new.
>
> I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
> He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
> machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
> on the other machine to do a clean install?
>
> And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
> because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
> possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
> believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
> for a CD key and require activation.
>
> It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
> would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob

July 28, 2004 1:12:44 AM

It is legal as he has a license for XP. What media he uses is immaterial.

"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
> other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
> the machine as it was when new.
>
> I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
> He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
> machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
> on the other machine to do a clean install?
>
> And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
> because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
> possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
> believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
> for a CD key and require activation.
>
> It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
> would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:21:14 AM

Exactly. the sticker is the license.

Gary

> It is legal as he has a license for XP. What media he uses is immaterial.
>
> "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
>> other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
>> the machine as it was when new.
>>
>> I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
>> He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
>> machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
>> on the other machine to do a clean install?
>>
>> And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
>> because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
>> possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
>> believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
>> for a CD key and require activation.
>>
>> It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
>> would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Bob

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:21:15 AM

Gary Pigott wrote:

> Exactly. the sticker is the license.

Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
will ask for a CD and need activation?

Thanks,

Bob
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:21:16 AM

A Dell OEM XP CD will install on a non-Dell system, but will ask for a
product key and require activation after installation. It will do the same
if you install it over an existing installation, even on a Dell PC -- the
only installation that won't require a license code nor activation is
installation onto a drive that is either not partitioned or is repartitioned
and reformatted as part of the installation process (i.e., a fresh
installation).

What happens when you try another maker's OEM license key is open to
question - if it's a major (Gateway/e-Machines, IBM, HPaq, etc.), the need
to activate may prompt the need to call Microsoft (in theory at least, just
as a Dell OEM copy doesn't require activation on a Dell, neither should a
Gateway/e-Machines copy on one of their systems.

"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:D WzNc.10382$Lb4.7901@trndny04...
> Gary Pigott wrote:
>
> > Exactly. the sticker is the license.
> >

> Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
> it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
> will ask for a CD and need activation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:26:52 AM

I missed that Tom. You are correct.

> Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to
reinstall
> XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
>
> I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
> clearly NOT legal.

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:57:28 AM

Tom Scales wrote:

> Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to reinstall
> XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
>
> I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
> clearly NOT legal.

No, I'm not looking to install it on a second machine. If it's legal,
and if it's possible, I want to use the CD with the other machines
already legally purchased CD key. The one stuck to the side of the case.

Bob
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:57:29 AM

OK, gotcha. I don't know for sure it will work (although it likely will, as
XP OEM is XP OEM).

Legal too.

Tom
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
> > Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to
reinstall
> > XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
> >
> > I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
> > clearly NOT legal.
>
> No, I'm not looking to install it on a second machine. If it's legal,
> and if it's possible, I want to use the CD with the other machines
> already legally purchased CD key. The one stuck to the side of the case.
>
> Bob

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:57:30 AM

news:p fydnbuanerleJvcRVn-og@comcast.com...
> OK, gotcha. I don't know for sure it will work (although it likely will,
> as
> XP OEM is XP OEM).
>
> Legal too.
>
> Tom

<snip>

I'd give it a try since those machines have their own (legal) COA's
(stickers). I've read of (but not personally witnessed) someone who claimed
to have done this with a Dell CD to another machine after the original
machine was defunct.

As the post went, the user/owner had to call MS for activation on the
secondary (non-Dell) machine - but again, this is anecdotal.

Stew
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:57:31 AM

I have done it with a Dell XPH disk onto an Acer
notebook that had its own license, but lost disk.
Worked fine, but did require activation with M$.

"S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> wrote in message

> news:p fydnbuanerleJvcRVn-og@comcast.com...
> > OK, gotcha. I don't know for sure it will work (although it
likely will,
> > as
> > XP OEM is XP OEM).
> >
> > Legal too.
> >
> > Tom
>

> <snip>
>

> I'd give it a try since those machines have their own (legal)
COA's
> (stickers). I've read of (but not personally witnessed)
someone who claimed
> to have done this with a Dell CD to another machine after the
original
> machine was defunct.
>
> As the post went, the user/owner had to call MS for activation
on the
> secondary (non-Dell) machine - but again, this is anecdotal.
>
> Stew

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:59:53 AM

Ted wrote:

> "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message news:8rzNc.11363$3k3.4978@trndny02...
>

>>Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
>>on the other machine to do a clean install?
>

> It seems to me that any limitations on the use of the software
> on the Dell CD would [have to] be spelled out in the license
> agreement associated with said CD. Do your come with a
> shrink wrapped license? Is there one on the CD?

There's nothing with the CD that would take any of this into
considerations. Like I said, I'm not looking to break any license
agreements or laws. But it's only the media. I want to get a clean
install of XP on a friend's machine.

If I didn't care about the legalities, I'd just try it and find out.

Bob
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:36:19 AM

It's legal to install the CD on a PC that already has a license sticker on
the chassis.

Gary

>I missed that Tom. You are correct.

>> Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to
> reinstall
>> XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
>>
>> I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
>> clearly NOT legal.

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:25:21 AM

Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell box,
and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to supply a
valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique. After completing
installation, you have 30 days to "activate" the software, either on-line or via
phone (worst case scenario). Activation of the product key causes Micro$oft to
search its data base to see if the product key has been used before. You get
only a few (three is it?) activations for a given product key, before you have
to call by phone, beg, whine, and plead, explaining why the product key has been
used so many times.

In short, the Dell CD appears no different than any other XP Home CD.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:37:13 GMT, Bob Levine <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Gary Pigott wrote:
>
>> Exactly. the sticker is the license.
>>

>Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
>it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
>will ask for a CD and need activation?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 6:02:11 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll give it try. The worst thing
that will happen is I'll use the restore CD it came with.

Bob
July 28, 2004 6:55:40 AM

Ben:

Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
install XP on a non-DELL machine? (ie: there would be no activation problem
even if XP is still installed on my DELL?)

Mel
> Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell
box,
> and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to
supply a
> valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique. After
completing
> installation, you have 30 days to "activate" the software, either on-line
or via
> phone (worst case scenario). Activation of the product key causes
Micro$oft to
> search its data base to see if the product key has been used before. You
get
> only a few (three is it?) activations for a given product key, before you
have
> to call by phone, beg, whine, and plead, explaining why the product key
has been
> used so many times.
>
> In short, the Dell CD appears no different than any other XP Home CD.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:37:13 GMT, Bob Levine
<robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Gary Pigott wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly. the sticker is the license.
> >>

> >Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
> >it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
> >will ask for a CD and need activation?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Bob

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:51:00 AM

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have done it with a Dell XPH disk onto an Acer
> notebook that had its own license, but lost disk.
> Worked fine, but did require activation with M$.

FWIW, I used a Medion "recovery" CD (which, strangely, actually turned out
to be a full version and not a "recovery" CD) to install XP Home on a Dell
box and it installed perfectly without even asking for a product key.

It did require activation though.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:53:48 AM

> Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell
box,
> and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to
supply a
> valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique.

Hmm, valid WinXP product keys are apparently like gold nuggets but my
company have just purchased 300 Dell boxes all with an obliging XP product
key sticker on the side.

I was curious as to what would happen if you used one of those keys?
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:56:53 AM

You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were using
a key that was already in use by your employer.

"The Social Outcast" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a
non-Dell
> box,
> > and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to
> supply a
> > valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique.
>
> Hmm, valid WinXP product keys are apparently like gold nuggets but my
> company have just purchased 300 Dell boxes all with an obliging XP product
> key sticker on the side.
>
> I was curious as to what would happen if you used one of those keys?

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:59:12 PM

MB wrote:

> Ben:
>
> Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
> install XP on a non-DELL machine? (ie: there would be no activation problem
> even if XP is still installed on my DELL?)

The point is, that you wouldn't be using the Dell CD key. You'd be using
the CD key that is pasted to the side of the other computer.

Bob
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 6:30:41 PM

Mel,

Not exactly. Answers to your questions, one by one, below:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:55:40 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>Ben:
>
>Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
>install XP on a non-DELL machine?

No hassle, in the sense that the installation would proceed exactly as tho you
were using a generic Windows XP CD from Microsoft.

ie: there would be no activation problem even if XP is still installed on my
DELL?

Depending on which product key you use, there may or may not be an activation
problem. If you used a product key for which Windows had already been installed
AND activated, you would have an activation problem of some magnitude. If the
product key had never been activated, e.g. it was not the product key taken from
the side of a Dell or other box, activation would be as painless as possible.

The idea behind activation is mindlessly simple. It is to ensure, as much as
possible, the idea of one product key = one computer... Ben Myers

>Mel
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:11:43 PM

"The Thief" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>Hmm, valid WinXP product keys are apparently like gold nuggets

Well, they are the license which allows you to run the OS, and are
hence the expensive/valuable part of the OS kit.

> but my
>company have just purchased 300 Dell boxes all with an obliging XP product
>key sticker on the side.
>
>I was curious as to what would happen if you used one of those keys?

You would be stealing an unauthorized XP install from your employer's
license, and they or M$ might eventually ask you some rather pointed
questions.

--
William Smith
July 29, 2004 12:18:48 AM

news:D OadnQslDcP2G5rcRVn-ug@comcast.com...
> You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
using
> a key that was already in use by your employer.

Unless your employer is using a "Site License"
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:18:49 AM

Yeah, then you'd just be stealing.

"Arthur Hardy" <none@u.buissness> wrote in message

> news:D OadnQslDcP2G5rcRVn-ug@comcast.com...
> > You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
> using
> > a key that was already in use by your employer.
> >

> Unless your employer is using a "Site License"

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:56:45 PM

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<DOadnQslDcP2G5rcRVn-ug@comcast.com>...
> You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were using
> a key that was already in use by your employer.

Even if the poster uses a Dell at home? Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell
BIOS is a Dell BIOS?
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 6:04:58 PM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:25:21 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:

> Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell box,
> and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to supply a
> valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique. After completing
> installation, you have 30 days to "activate" the software, either on-line or via
> phone (worst case scenario). Activation of the product key causes Micro$oft to
> search its data base to see if the product key has been used before. You get
> only a few (three is it?) activations for a given product key, before you have
> to call by phone, beg, whine, and plead, explaining why the product key has been
> used so many times.

Just a note here but I've installed Windows XP Home (using the same CD-key)
on my old desktop way more than 3 times and never once have I had to call
in to activate it. It always worked over the Internet.

I believe if you install Windows XP onto a different machine or a machine
which has had significant hardware changes using a key which was used
before then you need to call in to explain what is going on. That's the
same reason if you change some hardware in your machine the OS will prompt
you to reactivate it. I'm guessing that's to keep someone from installing
it on one machine, activating it, then moving the hard drive to another
machine.

> In short, the Dell CD appears no different than any other XP Home CD.

Just the color and design on the CD itself. :-)

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 9:20:21 PM

"Alex Flaherty" <vanessa.savage@webtribe.net> wrote in message
> > You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
using
> > a key that was already in use by your employer.
> >

> Even if the poster uses a Dell at home? Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell
> BIOS is a Dell BIOS?

It depends. If the work CD was a Dell CD, it will probably WORK, but still
be illegal. If it is a site license for XP, it will likely require
activation.

Either way, still stealing.

Tom
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 3:50:33 AM

"Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell BIOS is a Dell BIOS?"

The same is not true of a Windows license.

Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"Alex Flaherty" <vanessa.savage@webtribe.net> wrote in message
> > You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
using
> > a key that was already in use by your employer.
> >

> Even if the poster uses a Dell at home? Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell
> BIOS is a Dell BIOS?
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:27:07 AM

Tom Scales wrote:
> It depends. If the work CD was a Dell CD, it will probably WORK, but still
> be illegal. If it is a site license for XP, it will likely require
> activation.
>
> Either way, still stealing.

Violating a Copyright is not stealing. There's a world of difference
both in definition and law. It's illegal, yes, but it's not "stealing".
Too many people confuse this issue on purpose and you are probably just
repeating what they have told you. In any case, it's still not stealing.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:27:08 AM

"Anthony Soprano" <tsoprano@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote:
> > It depends. If the work CD was a Dell CD, it will probably WORK, but
still
> > be illegal. If it is a site license for XP, it will likely require
> > activation.
> >
> > Either way, still stealing.
>
> Violating a Copyright is not stealing. There's a world of difference
> both in definition and law. It's illegal, yes, but it's not "stealing".
> Too many people confuse this issue on purpose and you are probably just
> repeating what they have told you. In any case, it's still not stealing.

Perhaps not in the legal definition of the word, but using someone else's
property, without permission, certainly fits the definition on
dictionary.com:

To take (the property of another) without right or permission

Or is the legal distinction how you rationalize your behavior?

Tom
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 7:12:59 AM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Ah, more measured, dignified and highly rational responses, especially the last
> sentence... Ben Myers

Forget it, Ben.

Arguing with someone, with this type of mentality, is like arguing with
a bag of rocks.

Notan
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:41:57 PM

> Tom Scales wrote:
> Using someone else's property without permission is not stealing.
> Trespassing or copying without permission, yes, but it's not stealing.
> Stealing _is_ taking somthing. But copying without permission doesn't
> "take" anything away from anybody.

It may vary from state to state - but here in Florida, copying software most
definately *IS* stealing. The essential legal element in Florida is the
"intent to deprive", in this case the legitimate publisher is being deprived
of revenue.

But don't take my word for it, check out this Florida Dep't of Law
Enforcement (FDLE) Case:

http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases/BSA-Commends-...

Note that in this case, the defendant wasn't charged with mere copyright
violation but with "Grand Theft" and "Dealing in Stolen Property":

"According to a press release issued by the FDLE, investigators purchased
several copies of pirated software from David Pugh in Atlantic Beach, FL.
During a search of the suspect's home, investigators found over one-thousand
suspected pirated software programs and CD-ROM disks worth an estimated
retail value of $52,000. It is alleged that Mr. Pugh sold pirated software
over the Internet both domestically and internationally. Mr. Pugh is being
charged with Dealing in Stolen Property and Grand Theft."

- FM -
!