Dell XP CD: legal and technical Qs

Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
the machine as it was when new.

I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
on the other machine to do a clean install?

And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
for a CD key and require activation.

It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.

TIA,

Bob

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message news:8rzNc.11363$3k3.4978@trndny02...

> Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
> on the other machine to do a clean install?

It seems to me that any limitations on the use of the software
on the Dell CD would [have to] be spelled out in the license
agreement associated with said CD. Do your come with a
shrink wrapped license? Is there one on the CD?

Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to reinstall
XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.

I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
clearly NOT legal.

Tom
"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
> other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
> the machine as it was when new.
>
> I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
> He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
> machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
> on the other machine to do a clean install?
>
> And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
> because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
> possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
> believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
> for a CD key and require activation.
>
> It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
> would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob

It is legal as he has a license for XP. What media he uses is immaterial.

"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
> other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
> the machine as it was when new.
>
> I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
> He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
> machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
> on the other machine to do a clean install?
>
> And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
> because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
> possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
> believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
> for a CD key and require activation.
>
> It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
> would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob

Exactly. the sticker is the license.

Gary

Gary Pigott wrote:

> Exactly. the sticker is the license.

Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
will ask for a CD and need activation?

Thanks,

Bob

A Dell OEM XP CD will install on a non-Dell system, but will ask for a
product key and require activation after installation. It will do the same
if you install it over an existing installation, even on a Dell PC -- the
only installation that won't require a license code nor activation is
installation onto a drive that is either not partitioned or is repartitioned
and reformatted as part of the installation process (i.e., a fresh
installation).

What happens when you try another maker's OEM license key is open to
question - if it's a major (Gateway/e-Machines, IBM, HPaq, etc.), the need
to activate may prompt the need to call Microsoft (in theory at least, just
as a Dell OEM copy doesn't require activation on a Dell, neither should a
Gateway/e-Machines copy on one of their systems.

> Gary Pigott wrote:
>
> > Exactly. the sticker is the license.
> >

> Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
> it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
> will ask for a CD and need activation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I missed that Tom. You are correct.

Tom Scales wrote:

> Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to reinstall
> XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
>
> I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
> clearly NOT legal.

No, I'm not looking to install it on a second machine. If it's legal,
and if it's possible, I want to use the CD with the other machines
already legally purchased CD key. The one stuck to the side of the case.

Bob

OK, gotcha. I don't know for sure it will work (although it likely will, as
XP OEM is XP OEM).

Legal too.

Tom

> OK, gotcha. I don't know for sure it will work (although it likely will,
> as
> XP OEM is XP OEM).
>
> Legal too.
>
> Tom

<snip>

I'd give it a try since those machines have their own (legal) COA's
(stickers). I've read of (but not personally witnessed) someone who claimed
to have done this with a Dell CD to another machine after the original
machine was defunct.

As the post went, the user/owner had to call MS for activation on the
secondary (non-Dell) machine - but again, this is anecdotal.

Stew

I have done it with a Dell XPH disk onto an Acer
notebook that had its own license, but lost disk.
Worked fine, but did require activation with M$.

Ted wrote:

> "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message news:8rzNc.11363$3k3.4978@trndny02...
>

>>Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
>>on the other machine to do a clean install?
>

> It seems to me that any limitations on the use of the software
> on the Dell CD would [have to] be spelled out in the license
> agreement associated with said CD. Do your come with a
> shrink wrapped license? Is there one on the CD?

There's nothing with the CD that would take any of this into
considerations. Like I said, I'm not looking to break any license
agreements or laws. But it's only the media. I want to get a clean
install of XP on a friend's machine.

If I didn't care about the legalities, I'd just try it and find out.

Bob

It's legal to install the CD on a PC that already has a license sticker on
the chassis.

Gary

>I missed that Tom. You are correct.

>> Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to
> reinstall
>> XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
>>
>> I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
>> clearly NOT legal.

Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell box,
and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to supply a
valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique. After completing
installation, you have 30 days to "activate" the software, either on-line or via
phone (worst case scenario). Activation of the product key causes Micro$oft to
search its data base to see if the product key has been used before. You get
only a few (three is it?) activations for a given product key, before you have
to call by phone, beg, whine, and plead, explaining why the product key has been
used so many times.

In short, the Dell CD appears no different than any other XP Home CD.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:37:13 GMT, Bob Levine <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Gary Pigott wrote:
>
>> Exactly. the sticker is the license.
>>

>Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
>it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
>will ask for a CD and need activation?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll give it try. The worst thing
that will happen is I'll use the restore CD it came with.

Bob

mb

Ben:

Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
install XP on a non-DELL machine? (ie: there would be no activation problem
even if XP is still installed on my DELL?)

Mel

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have done it with a Dell XPH disk onto an Acer
> notebook that had its own license, but lost disk.
> Worked fine, but did require activation with M$.

FWIW, I used a Medion "recovery" CD (which, strangely, actually turned out
to be a full version and not a "recovery" CD) to install XP Home on a Dell
box and it installed perfectly without even asking for a product key.

It did require activation though.

> Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell
box,
> and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to
supply a
> valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique.

Hmm, valid WinXP product keys are apparently like gold nuggets but my
company have just purchased 300 Dell boxes all with an obliging XP product
key sticker on the side.

I was curious as to what would happen if you used one of those keys?

You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were using
a key that was already in use by your employer.

MB wrote:

> Ben:
>
> Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
> install XP on a non-DELL machine? (ie: there would be no activation problem
> even if XP is still installed on my DELL?)

The point is, that you wouldn't be using the Dell CD key. You'd be using
the CD key that is pasted to the side of the other computer.

Bob

Mel,

Not exactly. Answers to your questions, one by one, below:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:55:40 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>Ben:
>
>Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
>install XP on a non-DELL machine?

No hassle, in the sense that the installation would proceed exactly as tho you
were using a generic Windows XP CD from Microsoft.

ie: there would be no activation problem even if XP is still installed on my
DELL?

Depending on which product key you use, there may or may not be an activation
problem. If you used a product key for which Windows had already been installed
AND activated, you would have an activation problem of some magnitude. If the
product key had never been activated, e.g. it was not the product key taken from
the side of a Dell or other box, activation would be as painless as possible.

The idea behind activation is mindlessly simple. It is to ensure, as much as
possible, the idea of one product key = one computer... Ben Myers

"The Thief" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>Hmm, valid WinXP product keys are apparently like gold nuggets

Well, they are the license which allows you to run the OS, and are
hence the expensive/valuable part of the OS kit.

> but my
>company have just purchased 300 Dell boxes all with an obliging XP product
>key sticker on the side.
>
>I was curious as to what would happen if you used one of those keys?

You would be stealing an unauthorized XP install from your employer's
license, and they or M$ might eventually ask you some rather pointed
questions.

--
William Smith

> You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
using
> a key that was already in use by your employer.

Unless your employer is using a "Site License"

Yeah, then you'd just be stealing.