Dell XP CD: legal and technical Qs

Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
the machine as it was when new.

I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
on the other machine to do a clean install?

And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
for a CD key and require activation.

It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.

TIA,

Bob
32 answers Last reply
More about dell legal technical

    "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message news:8rzNc.11363$3k3.4978@trndny02...

    > Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
    > on the other machine to do a clean install?

    It seems to me that any limitations on the use of the software
    on the Dell CD would [have to] be spelled out in the license
    agreement associated with said CD. Do your come with a
    shrink wrapped license? Is there one on the CD?

    Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to reinstall
    XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.

    I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
    clearly NOT legal.

    Tom
    "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
    > other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
    > the machine as it was when new.
    >
    > I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
    > He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
    > machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
    > on the other machine to do a clean install?
    >
    > And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
    > because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
    > possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
    > believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
    > for a CD key and require activation.
    >
    > It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
    > would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Bob

    It is legal as he has a license for XP. What media he uses is immaterial.

    "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Dell always includes a full install version of XP with it's PCs. Most
    > other OEMs include only a recovery CD which puts the same lousy image on
    > the machine as it was when new.
    >
    > I have a friend with one of those other PCs. He wants a clean install.
    > He's got a license and CD key which is on the sticker on the side of the
    > machine. Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
    > on the other machine to do a clean install?
    >
    > And the legal is important to me. I haven't brought this up with him
    > because if it's not, I won't do it. If it is legal, is it technically
    > possible? I know that the installer is tied to the Dell BIOS but I
    > believe I read that if you installed it on another machine it would ask
    > for a CD key and require activation.
    >
    > It would seem to me that since the other machine has a CD key, this
    > would be perfectly okay, but I don't the legal aspect of it.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Bob

    Exactly. the sticker is the license.

    Gary

    Gary Pigott wrote:

    > Exactly. the sticker is the license.

    Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
    it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
    will ask for a CD and need activation?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    A Dell OEM XP CD will install on a non-Dell system, but will ask for a
    product key and require activation after installation. It will do the same
    if you install it over an existing installation, even on a Dell PC -- the
    only installation that won't require a license code nor activation is
    installation onto a drive that is either not partitioned or is repartitioned
    and reformatted as part of the installation process (i.e., a fresh
    installation).

    What happens when you try another maker's OEM license key is open to
    question - if it's a major (Gateway/e-Machines, IBM, HPaq, etc.), the need
    to activate may prompt the need to call Microsoft (in theory at least, just
    as a Dell OEM copy doesn't require activation on a Dell, neither should a
    Gateway/e-Machines copy on one of their systems.

    > Gary Pigott wrote:
    >
    > > Exactly. the sticker is the license.
    > >

    > Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
    > it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
    > will ask for a CD and need activation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

    I missed that Tom. You are correct.

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to reinstall
    > XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
    >
    > I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
    > clearly NOT legal.

    No, I'm not looking to install it on a second machine. If it's legal,
    and if it's possible, I want to use the CD with the other machines
    already legally purchased CD key. The one stuck to the side of the case.

    Bob

    OK, gotcha. I don't know for sure it will work (although it likely will, as
    XP OEM is XP OEM).

    Legal too.

    Tom

    > OK, gotcha. I don't know for sure it will work (although it likely will,
    > as
    > XP OEM is XP OEM).
    >
    > Legal too.
    >
    > Tom

    <snip>

    I'd give it a try since those machines have their own (legal) COA's
    (stickers). I've read of (but not personally witnessed) someone who claimed
    to have done this with a Dell CD to another machine after the original
    machine was defunct.

    As the post went, the user/owner had to call MS for activation on the
    secondary (non-Dell) machine - but again, this is anecdotal.

    Stew

    I have done it with a Dell XPH disk onto an Acer
    notebook that had its own license, but lost disk.
    Worked fine, but did require activation with M$.

    Ted wrote:

    > "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message news:8rzNc.11363$3k3.4978@trndny02...
    >

    >>Is it possible and legal to use the Dell CD and use the CD key
    >>on the other machine to do a clean install?
    >

    > It seems to me that any limitations on the use of the software
    > on the Dell CD would [have to] be spelled out in the license
    > agreement associated with said CD. Do your come with a
    > shrink wrapped license? Is there one on the CD?

    There's nothing with the CD that would take any of this into
    considerations. Like I said, I'm not looking to break any license
    agreements or laws. But it's only the media. I want to get a clean
    install of XP on a friend's machine.

    If I didn't care about the legalities, I'd just try it and find out.

    Bob

    It's legal to install the CD on a PC that already has a license sticker on
    the chassis.

    Gary

    >I missed that Tom. You are correct.

    >> Wait a minute. I think you are getting bad advice. It is legal to
    > reinstall
    >> XP on the machine with which it came ONLY.
    >>
    >> I believe you are asking if you can put it on a SECOND machine. That is
    >> clearly NOT legal.

    Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell box,
    and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to supply a
    valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique. After completing
    installation, you have 30 days to "activate" the software, either on-line or via
    phone (worst case scenario). Activation of the product key causes Micro$oft to
    search its data base to see if the product key has been used before. You get
    only a few (three is it?) activations for a given product key, before you have
    to call by phone, beg, whine, and plead, explaining why the product key has been
    used so many times.

    In short, the Dell CD appears no different than any other XP Home CD.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:37:13 GMT, Bob Levine <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >Gary Pigott wrote:
    >
    >> Exactly. the sticker is the license.
    >>

    >Great. So that takes care of the legalities. Has any here actually tried
    >it with Dell CD? Was my original thought correct? It will install, but
    >will ask for a CD and need activation?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bob

    Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll give it try. The worst thing
    that will happen is I'll use the restore CD it came with.

    Bob

    Ben:

    Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
    install XP on a non-DELL machine? (ie: there would be no activation problem
    even if XP is still installed on my DELL?)

    Mel

    "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have done it with a Dell XPH disk onto an Acer
    > notebook that had its own license, but lost disk.
    > Worked fine, but did require activation with M$.

    FWIW, I used a Medion "recovery" CD (which, strangely, actually turned out
    to be a full version and not a "recovery" CD) to install XP Home on a Dell
    box and it installed perfectly without even asking for a product key.

    It did require activation though.

    > Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell
    box,
    > and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to
    supply a
    > valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique.

    Hmm, valid WinXP product keys are apparently like gold nuggets but my
    company have just purchased 300 Dell boxes all with an obliging XP product
    key sticker on the side.

    I was curious as to what would happen if you used one of those keys?

    You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were using
    a key that was already in use by your employer.

    MB wrote:

    > Ben:
    >
    > Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
    > install XP on a non-DELL machine? (ie: there would be no activation problem
    > even if XP is still installed on my DELL?)

    The point is, that you wouldn't be using the Dell CD key. You'd be using
    the CD key that is pasted to the side of the other computer.

    Bob

    Mel,

    Not exactly. Answers to your questions, one by one, below:

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:55:40 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

    >Ben:
    >
    >Are you saying then that there would be no hassle using my Dell CD to
    >install XP on a non-DELL machine?

    No hassle, in the sense that the installation would proceed exactly as tho you
    were using a generic Windows XP CD from Microsoft.

    ie: there would be no activation problem even if XP is still installed on my
    DELL?

    Depending on which product key you use, there may or may not be an activation
    problem. If you used a product key for which Windows had already been installed
    AND activated, you would have an activation problem of some magnitude. If the
    product key had never been activated, e.g. it was not the product key taken from
    the side of a Dell or other box, activation would be as painless as possible.

    The idea behind activation is mindlessly simple. It is to ensure, as much as
    possible, the idea of one product key = one computer... Ben Myers

    "The Thief" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >Hmm, valid WinXP product keys are apparently like gold nuggets

    Well, they are the license which allows you to run the OS, and are
    hence the expensive/valuable part of the OS kit.

    > but my
    >company have just purchased 300 Dell boxes all with an obliging XP product
    >key sticker on the side.
    >
    >I was curious as to what would happen if you used one of those keys?

    You would be stealing an unauthorized XP install from your employer's
    license, and they or M$ might eventually ask you some rather pointed
    questions.

    --
    William Smith

    > You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
    using
    > a key that was already in use by your employer.

    Unless your employer is using a "Site License"

    Yeah, then you'd just be stealing.

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<DOadnQslDcP2G5rcRVn-ug@comcast.com>...
    > You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were using
    > a key that was already in use by your employer.

    Even if the poster uses a Dell at home? Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell
    BIOS is a Dell BIOS?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:25:21 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:

    > Yes, I've tried installing XP Home from the Dell-supplied CD on a non-Dell box,
    > and succeeded. During installation, it will ask for and you need to supply a
    > valid product key. Legally, the product key must be unique. After completing
    > installation, you have 30 days to "activate" the software, either on-line or via
    > phone (worst case scenario). Activation of the product key causes Micro$oft to
    > search its data base to see if the product key has been used before. You get
    > only a few (three is it?) activations for a given product key, before you have
    > to call by phone, beg, whine, and plead, explaining why the product key has been
    > used so many times.

    Just a note here but I've installed Windows XP Home (using the same CD-key)
    on my old desktop way more than 3 times and never once have I had to call
    in to activate it. It always worked over the Internet.

    I believe if you install Windows XP onto a different machine or a machine
    which has had significant hardware changes using a key which was used
    before then you need to call in to explain what is going on. That's the
    same reason if you change some hardware in your machine the OS will prompt
    you to reactivate it. I'm guessing that's to keep someone from installing
    it on one machine, activating it, then moving the hard drive to another
    machine.

    > In short, the Dell CD appears no different than any other XP Home CD.

    Just the color and design on the CD itself. :-)

    Dave
    --
    We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    US Army Signal Corps!
    www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Alex Flaherty" <vanessa.savage@webtribe.net> wrote in message
    > > You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
    using
    > > a key that was already in use by your employer.
    > >

    > Even if the poster uses a Dell at home? Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell
    > BIOS is a Dell BIOS?

    It depends. If the work CD was a Dell CD, it will probably WORK, but still
    be illegal. If it is a site license for XP, it will likely require
    activation.

    Either way, still stealing.

    Tom
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell BIOS is a Dell BIOS?"

    The same is not true of a Windows license.

    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    "Alex Flaherty" <vanessa.savage@webtribe.net> wrote in message
    > > You would have to call Microsoft to activate and explain why you were
    using
    > > a key that was already in use by your employer.
    > >

    > Even if the poster uses a Dell at home? Surely a Dell BIOS is a Dell
    > BIOS is a Dell BIOS?
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > It depends. If the work CD was a Dell CD, it will probably WORK, but still
    > be illegal. If it is a site license for XP, it will likely require
    > activation.
    >
    > Either way, still stealing.

    Violating a Copyright is not stealing. There's a world of difference
    both in definition and law. It's illegal, yes, but it's not "stealing".
    Too many people confuse this issue on purpose and you are probably just
    repeating what they have told you. In any case, it's still not stealing.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Anthony Soprano" <tsoprano@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    > > It depends. If the work CD was a Dell CD, it will probably WORK, but
    still
    > > be illegal. If it is a site license for XP, it will likely require
    > > activation.
    > >
    > > Either way, still stealing.
    >
    > Violating a Copyright is not stealing. There's a world of difference
    > both in definition and law. It's illegal, yes, but it's not "stealing".
    > Too many people confuse this issue on purpose and you are probably just
    > repeating what they have told you. In any case, it's still not stealing.

    Perhaps not in the legal definition of the word, but using someone else's
    property, without permission, certainly fits the definition on
    dictionary.com:

    To take (the property of another) without right or permission

    Or is the legal distinction how you rationalize your behavior?

    Tom
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Ah, more measured, dignified and highly rational responses, especially the last
    > sentence... Ben Myers

    Forget it, Ben.

    Arguing with someone, with this type of mentality, is like arguing with
    a bag of rocks.

    Notan
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    > Using someone else's property without permission is not stealing.
    > Trespassing or copying without permission, yes, but it's not stealing.
    > Stealing _is_ taking somthing. But copying without permission doesn't
    > "take" anything away from anybody.

    It may vary from state to state - but here in Florida, copying software most
    definately *IS* stealing. The essential legal element in Florida is the
    "intent to deprive", in this case the legitimate publisher is being deprived
    of revenue.

    But don't take my word for it, check out this Florida Dep't of Law
    Enforcement (FDLE) Case:

    http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases/BSA-Commends-Florida-Law-Enforcement-Agency-for-Action-on-Software-Piracy-Case.cfm

    Note that in this case, the defendant wasn't charged with mere copyright
    violation but with "Grand Theft" and "Dealing in Stolen Property":

    "According to a press release issued by the FDLE, investigators purchased
    several copies of pirated software from David Pugh in Atlantic Beach, FL.
    During a search of the suspect's home, investigators found over one-thousand
    suspected pirated software programs and CD-ROM disks worth an estimated
    retail value of $52,000. It is alleged that Mr. Pugh sold pirated software
    over the Internet both domestically and internationally. Mr. Pugh is being
    charged with Dealing in Stolen Property and Grand Theft."

    - FM -

Dell CD-Rom Windows XP Computers