Help i think i screwed up my p3

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is a fcpga in a msi slocket, when i take the heatsink off it boots till it gets to hot then it shuts down when i put the heat sink back on it wont do anything at all, Iv taped the heatsink botom to rull out any shorting between the cpu and th heatsink so i think the preasure is making it not boot, also iv checked the cpu SEVERAL times to make sure the are no cracks, any help is greatly appreciated

G

It may be a problem with the slotket. Make sure the heatsink is not making a shortcut anywhere. Don't play too much with the heatsink because you will end up cracking your CPU. Letting the CPU heat till it stops it's not a great idea.

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what kind of tape? thermal, right? remove tape and use thermal paste.

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used electrical tape on the on the heatsink. But anyway i found out the problem there is a smallnick in the edge of the cpu does anyone know if the paint they use for islating contacts would work to seal my processor. If now anyone know of anything else that will seal the cpu, not conduct electricity, and not hurt the silicone.

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that grease will act as electrical insulator and thermal conductor...

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

Heh heh. Sorry for laughing chaotictech, I realize how serious this is, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm reading a script for some Monty Python skit.

Mike